My solution to Magneto Speed

This view shows the hole at the bottom to clear the socket head cap screw that the top rests on.

The hole to lock the shaft in place is tapped for 1/4-28.

The counter sunk holes are also for 1/4-28 Flat Heads.

Attachments

• Chrono Block-bottom view.SLDPRT.pdf
    56.1 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
On one of my heavy barrel match rifles it does not seem to have any effect. On my sporter's, it definitely does. I work up loads until I get the accuracy I want. Then I check speeds and go with the best combo of accuracy, pressure and velocity.

Nitro, I do the same. Typically I load six rounds of each load to test, then shoot a 3 shot group. If it has potential, I then chrono the other three to see what it is really doing. If the load does not show any potential, the last three are moved the another box to be used as foulers in the future.

My goal with this set up is to cut down on the number of shots needed to develop a load.

This may not work, will find out tonight.

Heading to the range in about an hour.

Playing around this afternoon, came up with a new design that would allow the bayo to be adjusted to be anywhere you need it.

There would be one more piece that would move up and down the up fright round bar that would hold the bayo.

Will report back later tonight on the test result.

Attachments

• Rest Assy Isso view.SLDASM.pdf
    95.5 KB · Views: 135
  • Rest Assy.SLDASM.pdf
    89.2 KB · Views: 90
Well back to the drawing board. As a couple mentioned, bayou is to low. It measures 1/2" below the bottom of the bore. Needs to be 1/4" below the bottom of the bore.

Going change the shaft to 3/4", that will raise it to 3/8" below and add a 1/8" shim under the block.

If that works I will make a new set up.

I could get it to read by increasing the sensitivity to 8, but got bad results.

Did not effect accuracy:)
20190514_203608.jpg
20190514_204730.jpg
20190514_204749.jpg

Just got home, thinking about this all the way home. Came to my senses, lol.

I am sure the system will work with some minor mods.

Problem is it will only work with a rifle with the same profile as the one I was shooting tonight. No adjustable ability.

So, I am abandoning this design and build one based on the one I sketched this afternoon.

Should be done this weekend

Thanks everyone for your input.

Darrel Brown: Let me clean up the prints a little, made a couple adjustments while machining the parts. Will try to get that done today or tomorrow and post them.

As an example, I increased the center lines of the mounting holes because one of them interferred with another hole.

This was built to fit an older Sinclair Top.

It would be difficult to build these to sell, way to may different version would need to be made.
Thanks

Do u guys really see that much probelms with magnetospeed strapped to the barrel? I have never noticed nothing but a little POi shift when on. Still tiny groups and I just use one for load work. If it's a tiny group when on it's a tiny group when off. Only used doing load work, is there something I am missing? I do a lot of load work.

Gotcha. Yeah all my **** is heavy rigs also. Guess that is why I never noticed. Plus mine is always strapped to a can and not on barrel itself and I have noticed that makes a difference also in minimizing effects of the strap pressure on harmonics. Anyhow thanks for the info brother

I was talking to a guy at the range and he said the Magneto speed does affect POI vs. not having it on the barrel, but it is constant and doesn't affect group size. He said for load development it really made no difference but when zeroing the scope with the decided upon load, to remove it from the barrel. He was only shooting to 200 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts