My solution to Magneto Speed

I know there's been several debates about whether attaching the bayonet sensor to the barrel effect accuracy. I believe it does. So this is what I came up with. I made a block that attaches to the front of my rest taking out overnight will a 3/4 inch aluminum rod extended out to attach the bayonet below the barrelView attachment 133814 View attachment 133815View attachment 133816 View attachment 133816
Just finished it this afternoon, going to try it Tuesday night. Luckily I have access to a 100 yard tunnel I can shoot in 24/7.

Wanted to go today, but Mothers day got in the way...lol

Regarding its height, it is about .100 lower than it's normal position. Hope it still picks up.

I have a Solid Works print if anyone wants a copy.

Great Idea. Will be interesting to see how it works
I would be interested if you have plans for this if you are willing to share. Thanks

I know there's been several debates about whether attaching the bayonet sensor to the barrel effect accuracy. I believe it does. So this is what I came up with. I made a block that attaches to the front of my rest taking out overnight will a 3/4 inch aluminum rod extended out to attach the bayonet below the barrelView attachment 133814 View attachment 133815View attachment 133816 View attachment 133816
Did you have any velocity difference from directly on barrel ?
After you try it....

Last edited:
There is some indication that it's not the attachment of the bayo but the gas reflection of the top that gives a bullet a rise. I have seen the bayo clocked around a barrel and the bullet always went away from the bayo if effected. Remote mounting will not solve this issue.

Bigngreen: I do not disagree, anything at or near the muzzle will potentially affect the bullet path and accuracy. Another reason, I do not like muzzle breaks.

As an example, we shoot in a tunnel that is 6 feet in diameter. When we hang the target on the left side of the target carrier, the group moves. Does not effect the group size, but there is no doubt it moves. I believe it is caused by pressure bouncing off the wall.
Tunnel.JPG
Another example, some of the guys like to put a fan on the bench blowing at their barrels to help cool them down. I have proven to them this affects the bullet flight. The groups with the fan on are bigger! Also, they are only cooling one side of the barrel, not good.
My goal by is to eliminate the change in barrel harmonics that happen when mounting the bayo barrel.

I believe that will affect accuracy much more than any pressure push off the bayo.

JMHO, we will see tomorrow night.

Darrel Brown: Let me clean up the prints a little, made a couple adjustments while machining the parts. Will try to get that done today or tomorrow and post them.

As an example, I increased the center lines of the mounting holes because one of them interferred with another hole.

This was built to fit an older Sinclair Top.

It would be difficult to build these to sell, way to may different version would need to be made.

Attachments

• Chrono Block.SLDPRT.pdf
    70.7 KB · Views: 115
There is some indication that it's not the attachment of the bayo but the gas reflection of the top that gives a bullet a rise. I have seen the bayo clocked around a barrel and the bullet always went away from the bayo if effected. Remote mounting will not solve this issue.

Highly disagree. I had Magneto Speed build a one-off unit to facilitate mounting remotely. I have fired hundreds of rounds over it & have experienced ZERO adverse reactions.

Next time your out try shooting a group and record your average fps then take it off, put it away, and shoot for accuracy. What ever you put on your gun will affect impact.

Creative, but my reaction to the idea......buy a LabRadar.....:) :) :) Why screw with all the gear and time to mount?? And, Labradar gives down range velocity decay numbers. As a Professional Engineer, my observation is....just because something is technically possible does not mean it should be done. Ask yourself what technology is used by Hornady and Brian Litz at Applied Bllistics??? Not MagnetoSpeed. Yeah, their Doppler radars are $25,000 or more, but for $500 you can get a pretty effective version that is quick set up, accurate, doesn't impact accuracy and precision. By the time one buys all the extra gear to meet their application....or design and fabricate this add on....you have spent more dollars than a LabRadar.....which is a replenishable resource....but, you have exhausted a large number of heartbeats.....your most critical, non-replenishable resource.

Next time your out try shooting a group and record your average fps then take it off, put it away, and shoot for accuracy. What ever you put on your gun will affect impact.

Absolutely, I will be testing both ways. I have done that a number of times with the bayo on the barrel and off. Groups always change with it on. We will see if this helps, jury is out.

Creative, but my reaction to the idea......buy a LabRadar.....:) :) :) Why screw with all the gear and time to mount?? And, Labradar gives down range velocity decay numbers. As a Professional Engineer, my observation is....just because something is technically possible does not mean it should be done. Ask yourself what technology is used by Hornady and Brian Litz at Applied Bllistics??? Not MagnetoSpeed. Yeah, their Doppler radars are $25,000 or more, but for $500 you can get a pretty effective version that is quick set up, accurate, doesn't impact accuracy and precision. By the time one buys all the extra gear to meet their application....or design and fabricate this add on....you have spent more dollars than a LabRadar.....which is a replenishable resource....but, you have exhausted a large number of heartbeats.....your most critical, non-replenishable resource.

I agree the LabRadar is a better system, outdoors. It does not work well in the tunnel. We did a comparison a month or so ago using both units. My friends LR was always within 3-5 Fps second of the Mag, but it did not always read the velocity or was way off.

My friend said he has never got it to work consistently in the tunnel. Must be something with the design of the tunnel.

Plus I already have the MagnoSpeed, and like it.

Is this a perfect solution, prob not, but it should be better than hanging it off the barrel.

The true test will be when I get a chance to try it with one of my BR rigs. Tonight I will testing some 300 Rum loads.

Brentru, There are a couple of mounts avail to mount the Bayo to a P Rail. Basically that is where i got the idea.

Since most hunting rifles do not have a P Rail, this is what I came up with for a regular hunting rifle.

If this does not work, I have another idea that should work with just about any rest. It will just be harder to make.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.