My Shooting year in 2013 PRS.

Jim See

LRH Sponsor
Well I spent much of 2013 shooting competitive rifle matches in the Precision Rifle Series. Time consuming and lots of travel, but well worth it, I really enjoy these matches and my shooting has improved greatly in the area of speed and improvised positions.

PRS: Precision Rifle Series

I encourage anyone who likes this type of shooting to give it a try, I started in August of 2012 and have become quite competitive in the field.

Tyler just posted a great video of the type of shooting we do, the only real difference is the Gap Grind tends to use pistols mixed in where most of the precision rifle matches do not.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...ind-large-tactical-match-edited-video-127242/

This was my results through out the year in the major matches I attended.

2013 PRS season rank, 12th place.
2013 PRS finale Match at K&M Precision, 10th place.
2013 OPPS Club season finale match, 1st place.
2013 Vegas Precision Rifle Challenge, 5th place.
2013 PTS 21st.
2013 OTS Battle, 2nd. place.
2013 OPPS Heat Stroke Open, 7th.
2013 Butch's Belly Match, 2nd
2013 Vortex Lone Star Challenge, 9th.
2013 MRMBC, 10th.

Attachments

• photo 4 (2).JPG
    photo 4 (2).JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 158
  • photo 3 (1).JPG
    photo 3 (1).JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 154
Mike, I'm shooting a 6 xc. the cartrage needs to meet certain limits and those are; under 3150 fps, 30 cal or under. In this game low recoil helps. My other match guns are a 6.5 creemoor, and a 260AI for the longer and windier ranges.

Looks awesome Jim! I'm wanting to get in to this style of shooting bad! My wife and I are expecting our first child this month, so I have a buffer before I can take off. I'm going to get one comp in this year no matter what! Is it smart to go to a tactical long range shooting school before going to one of these shoots? I'm wanting to be super competitive at this! Thanks man any info would be great

Trophy Hunter,

look up this guy and give him a call RJ is a good guy and should be able to put you on some local matches which may be the best training for a big match. this is the only info I have for him, but I have shot at a few matches with RJ so let him know i sent you. Safety is the main emphasis at all these matches, and he can brief you up on that so you don't do something you shouldn't.

RJ DUSSART
Name
RJ Dussart

PRS membership #

City
Brighton

State
CO

Years shooting competition

a good forum for match info;
TacticalMatches.com - Home Of The Best Shooters In The Nation - Forums powered by UBB.threads™

2012 finale video, good ideas for practicing positions we use in these events.
PRS: Precision Rifle Series

Thanks Jim! Understandable about safety, that's why I need to supplement my knowledge with training. I spent some time in the Marine Corps so I'm sure range safety could be run the same with the RSO's and such.

Congratulations on a great year Jim, hope all is well

Cheers
Jeff

Well I just took another title this week-end. The PRS Club finale was a 2 day match with 6 members from 6 clubs. Teams came from FL, TX, CA, AZ, CO and OK.
The event was specifically a natural terrain match out to 1300 yards, designed to be shot using the team for wind calls, spotting, ect. OK finished 1st, ahead of TX.
I was high shooter for the match, I used a 284 win on a Surgeon 1086, in a Manners stock, shooting 180 bergers at 2800 fps, Winchester Match prepped and turned brass, in a Brux barrel. Our team was comprised of OPPS members who qualified thru our monthly match program.

For those that don't know Jim, he is one heck of a nice guy to visit with and obviously a very good shooter. I've competed with Jim at several competitions last year and every time I've visited with him, he has taken the time to offer advice and just BS about stuff. I also second his suggestion to come on out and compete, you'll learn a LOT about your rifle, equipment, and hone your shooting skills.

I'll catch up with you some time this season Jim. Good luck till then.

Geb

Thanks Nick, you going to make the Bushnell Brawl?
I'm on the wait list but will be going to RO if I don't get a slot.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.