My Sendero just wont shoot

If the bedding will not fix the problem then I would be willing to bet the lugs are not square and the action should be trued. Been there and done that. Spent way too much money and time trying to chase down accuracy issues with loading fixes. It wasn't the loads that were the problem, it was the rifle.

I know what you mean.

Get a bore scope and make sure the chamber is concentric with the bore and look at the rifling. Have seen 2 model 700 rifles examined with my own eyes that the chambering job was bad on and the owners returned the rifles with a note explaining who examined them and both of were replaced. Doubt that is the case but you are checking everything else so look for the easy stuff first --- now also remember the rifling on a factory tube will be pretty rough so don't get too upset.

I know it is more expensive but this is why I have mine built now rather than take pot luck on a sporter will shoot or not.

Thanks James, mirages arent too much of a problem around here at the moment, its been raining for two days the drought may have broken, anyway when it stops I'll have my pack on and heading off hunting for seven or eight days, I might even take my fishing rod too, ahh life is good.

The mirage shade is not for atmospheric mirage it is for aritificial mirage. Specifically, it is for the mirage coming off the barrel when you are shooting it. When the barrel rejects heat after the first shot, it creates mirage conditions that your scope picks up and it will affect your shot grouping performance. Good luck.

James

Sendero 300 rum

All loads have caused cratering of the primer which I have put down to a firing pin/hole issue, there are also small brass flakes left on the bolt face after firing, I know that this is not a good sign.
this should tell you that your loads are to Hot.
all the Senderos that i have owed in the past have been capable of 1/2 inch groups.i recomend that you back off your loads.assuming that this rifle is 1-10 twist ,wich more than likely it is,i would try a Sierra 200 ,210 or 220 smk and start with Reloader 25s starting load and work your way up.most of the time you will find that loads in the lower to mid range will yield the best accuracy.
hope this helps
Will
Hi Everyone, Im using a standard sendero sf11 300rum that wont group any better than 1.3 inch at 100yds Im using Rem brass 215 primers 89 -96gn of Hodgden Retumbo and Berger 210vld,
Ive also tried using 208 amaxes, Nosler brass, ADI AR2217 AR2225 powder, Ive worked up loads with each powder and tried various seating depths, resulting in nothing but a damaged wallet.
All loads have caused cratering of the primer which I have put down to a firing pin/hole issue, there are also small brass flakes left on the bolt face after firing, I know that this is not a good sign but I didnt think it would have too much of an effect on accuracy,
Is it worth trying 180-200gn projectiles to see if it prefers those, or shall I just take it to the shop and say fix it?
Any opinions and ideas appreciated.

Check the outside radius on the primers prior to depriming the case. If they are extremely square vice having a raduis, that is indicative of higher pressures. Primer cratering can be caused by more than one issue, but the radius (or lack of) on the primer is a pure sign of pressure.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.