My Rifles Need New Optics:

As far as the Swarovski X5i scopes are concerned, I much prefer the 3.5x18x50 for hunting. The low light performance is superior even though the objective lens is smaller. The 3.5x18x50 has 116moa verticle adjustment versus 82moa verticle adjustment on the 5x25x56.I shoot out to 1200 yards on steel and cannot see any disadvantage with the lower power model. I own several of each.

Thanks for all your replies, Gentlemen.

Travis: I have to admit that I am now leaning toward the one-somution—whether your scope or the Swaro ds.

But Ultra: if I go with the x5i, I have decided on the lower-powered module—based on the majority of opinions as well as my own experience with 12
Power.

To all:

I wanted to bring this thread to a close with the information I know you have all been losing sleep over--as to my final decision as to the solution I was looking for--together with my reasoning--both pro and con.

But first, I want to thank everyone who jumped in with advice--all of which I considered in making my decision. (I should also give a special thank you to all those who thought any of my ideas were complete idiocy, but chose not to say so! :) (You may reconsider if you choose to read on!)

I decided to buy one new scope: the Swarovski DS--together with the Talley 40 MM quick detach mounts for the scope.

I will mount a Picatinny rail on the two Model 700 actions--both on the .300 Win Mag ultra-light mountain rifle and its .300 RUM heavy-barreled Big Brother. I can then sight the ds in on each rifle with its pet load, respectively, and (theoretically at least) move it from rifle to rifle, each time, uploading the data for that rifle/load combo from my trusty iPhone with the Swarovski ds Configurator app.

But wait: The saga continues: I know you breathlessly remember that I currently have two Swaro Habitat scopes already mounted on these two rifles. I will be buying a set of Picatinny-capable Talley rings for these scopes. On a mountain hunt, I will then have a spare (probably the 3-12 30mm tube with a 50 mm objective) either to leave in the truck or on the horse, or with a guide if I have one.

Here are my thoughts:

1. I decided in favor of not having to fiddle-fart around with going from binos to range-finder to Ballistic solver to scope dials, and klutz that I am, missing a number-one all-time World Record elk.

2. Add to that the fact that the cost of the ds is not so prohibitive, relatively speaking, when you add in the price of an X5i, a Terrapin X, and a Kestrel.

3. Yes, like most of you, I maintain a healthy dose of skepticism with regard to the durability of all that electronics mounted on a heavy-recoiling rifle--not to mention its becoming functional only at the sight-in distance--say, 100 yards, in the not-improbable event the Chinese nuke us with an EMP device.

4. I am hearing that the Talley mount for this unit is very reliable when moved from the rifle and put back. And yes, I will hide and watch on that as well. When I have a chance to play with the whole setup, I will do a review. If, Heaven forbid, the electronics fail at any point, you will all be the second ones to know.

The Pros--as it stands in my mind right now--in favor of the ds solution over the X5i:

1. Point and shoot. No fuss--no muss.

2. Even though the scope is new to the US, it has been more widely used in Europe for (I think) a couple of years. If I could understand the Frenchmen, the Germans, and the Norwegians in the YouTube videos a little better, I would be more certain, but the fact that they were either jumping up and down (that would be the French) or just smiling knowingly (that would be the Germans) is a fact I find encouraging.

3. Less overall pack weight to schlep around over hill and dale.

4. Even if the 40 mm DS mount proves to be less than a true release and reinstall, it will probably be close enough for a quick re-sight-in.

5. Swarovski is good--period, and they have a great reputation for customer service if something does go wrong.

And the Cons:

1. More to go wrong--especially in the back country, 10 miles from Bumluck, Idaho.

2. Even though the overall weight carried is less, there is more weight on the rifle which hurts a little more to carry (but helps a bit with recoil, I suppose).

3. I certainly HOPE Swarovski does their best with customer satisfaction because the lifetime warranty does not extend to the electronics. I hear you say: "Hmmm."

4. Even though I have not really addressed windage, I think it will present somewhat more of a problem with the DS. With the more complex solution of separate components, the Kestrel would add some assistance with at least the wind where one is standing. With the DS, you have a couple of choices as to wind speed to program in and a couple of hold-lines on the drop down reticle--not as good as say the BR or TDS reticles on my other scopes.

5. It will look like what one internet commentator has termed "a submarine pig" on top of the rifle--especially the ultra-light. This does NOT bother me, since I myself have been called worse in various bars in my younger years.

I think the problem of saddle-scabbard fit will be a wash--between the 40 mm tube/56 mm objective on the one hand and the Empire-State Building turrets on the other.

Please feel free to comment on anything I have said--or not said. Otherwise, I will allow this thread to disappear off into the sunset. In the future, I will be pleading for other help, I assure you--and hopefully, passing on any experience I gain with these new rigs--all with the understanding that I am not, generally, qualified hand Broz or many other of you a cheeseburger.

Thanks, again for all your advice, whether taken or not.

Russ

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.