My Rem 700 FIRED on Bolt Closing!!

Ingwe

Hello Fellas,

This was a one-time occurrence but my Rem 700 fired when I closed the bolt.

The rifle has a Trigger Tech Trigger and the action has been blueprinted. The ONLY thing different about this incident was that I was chambering a round that I didn't FL size down to the base, and I was having difficulty closing the bolt on it. Actually, I had to push the bolt forward very strongly and I was in the process of forcing the bolt down when it went off. It fired the second the bolt was down all the way.

That said, I don't think that it should have fired but I would like to hear what you guys think, and if this is "normal" because of what I did or if there is something wrong with the gun. I have several hundred rounds through the rifle and this has never happened

What do you say??

I would check trigger adjustment screws and ensure they have not backed out. It sounds to me like you don't have enough sear engagement and you basically had a slam fire. If a trigger is adjusted correctly IMHO there is no way that despite how hard you close the bolt trigger should not go off. Ensure your gun is unloaded and slam your bolt forward and locked hard as you can and fast and see if you can make it slam fire again. Seen this a good bit with triggers adjusted to light for their adjustment range and also with triggers that people do not know how to adjust correct sear engagement. Good luck brother.

I would check trigger adjustment screws and ensure they have not backed out. It sounds to me like you don't have enough sear engagement and you basically had a slam fire. If a trigger is adjusted correctly IMHO there is no way that despite how hard you close the bolt trigger should not go off. Ensure your gun is unloaded and slam your bolt forward and locked hard as you can and fast and see if you can make it slam fire again. Seen this a good bit with triggers adjusted to light for their adjustment range and also with triggers that people do not know how to adjust correct sear engagement. Good luck brother.

Thanks for the reply. I tried what you suggested and it was OK. The Trigger Tech is fully enclosed and I didn't mess with it other than adjusting the weight to 2.5lbs.

Hey wait, you're right! If I slam the bolt as hard as I can it does fire!

Are you saying that I should increase trigger pull weight?

I have seen it way more with sear engagement being to minimum rather than pull weight to light. I usually close bolt take safety off and turn sear adjustment screw in until the trigger fires. Then once that is done back the sear off around 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. The only caveat to that is if your pull weight is under minimum recommended setting then simply adjust your pull weight. If your trigger is a sealed unit without user sear adjustability you will have to get with trigger tech assuming your weight is within their specs.

Last edited:
Yes I will contact TT but I have a trip coming up in 3 weeks so I am going to be careful and cross my fingers for now:(

I played with it for 1/2 hours now. It will only fire 1in 10 times if I slam the bolt closed as hard as I physically can.

I have it set at @ 2.75LBS

I should be ok for my trip.

Last edited:
Dude, please don't use that gun until you get it figured out and safe. If it is a sear adjustment issue, a simple bump could cause it to fire. I understand that right now it's only an issue when closing the bolt, but when the excitement of the hunt and lining the crosshairs comes into play, all bets are off. Surely you can fin another gun to use until you get his one operating correctly.

Trigger tech will be able to send you a new trigger in under 3 weeks, call them today and tell them your issue, and that you have a hunt coming up. They very well may send you a trigger, possibly a return label as well to send them your trigger. At least, if their customer service is like the majority of firearms parts businesses, that is likely how they will handle it. No need to take an unsafe rifle afield, 3 weeks is more than enough time to get a new trigger.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.