My Rem 700 FIRED on Bolt Closing!!

Hello Fellas,

This was a one-time occurrence but my Rem 700 fired when I closed the bolt.

The rifle has a Trigger Tech Trigger and the action has been blueprinted. The ONLY thing different about this incident was that I was chambering a round that I didn't FL size down to the base, and I was having difficulty closing the bolt on it. Actually, I had to push the bolt forward very strongly and I was in the process of forcing the bolt down when it went off. It fired the second the bolt was down all the way.

That said, I don't think that it should have fired but I would like to hear what you guys think, and if this is "normal" because of what I did or if there is something wrong with the gun. I have several hundred rounds through the rifle and this has never happened

What do you say??

Your post didn't say whether you had your rifle set on "safe" before you closed the bolt and it fired...I'll bet it was not on "safe"...that being said, obviously it shouldn't fire upon closing the bolt whether it is on safe or not. I had a Timney installed but when I'm at the bench, I always put it on safe before I close the bolt..

Had a Trigger Tech Special and it kept dropping the pin when bolt was closed. Sent it back. Heard the Diamonds are quite nice.

Correct again, but when u make weight changes your sear engagement changes so u have to adjust them in tandem. This is how people have this super great trigger then adjust the weight and now they introduce creep (sear has to much engagement) or the slam fire (not enough sear engagement). And I never said they were one and the same, they are separate entities but anytime u move trigger pull weight even if it's minuscule sear engagement is tampered with.
No, that's not how a trigger works, if adjusting the pull weight your sear engagement changes something is wrong or you've adjusted below the functional capability of the trigger to hold the sear.

No, that's not how a trigger works, if adjusting the pull weight your sear engagement changes something is wrong or you've adjusted below the functional capability of the trigger to hold the sear.
Ok Man U win man. I got beer to drink. Thanks for the education. I guess u need to talk to jewel, shilen, timney, etc. the sear on all of them change when adjusting pull weight but hey, I ain't head cashier at Walmart just a redneck.

Your post didn't say whether you had your rifle set on "safe" before you closed the bolt and it fired...I'll bet it was not on "safe"...that being said, obviously it shouldn't fire upon closing the bolt whether it is on safe or not. I had a Timney installed but when I'm at the bench, I always put it on safe before I close the bolt..

When my trigger misfired it was when I was clicking off the safety...which is what I have read and heard about...but never experienced...then it happened....twice...same gun.....same setting on trigger for years....standard Remington trigger....thqt trigger came out fast after the second misfire...
But after years of thought and consideration...maybe there was somekind of dirt or other accumulation built up inside.......i hunt brush and wet areas....easily could all have been my fault....

Ok Man U win man. I got beer to drink. Thanks for the education. I guess u need to talk to jewel, shilen, timney, etc. the sear on all of them change when adjusting pull weight but hey, I ain't head cashier at Walmart just a redneck.

Uh, your not doing something right then, the sear engagement doesn't change on the hundreds I've installed. You set the sear engagement FIRST then weight, if the sear adjustment moved with weight you would adjust the opposite. You can adjust triggers so low the springs won't hold the sear up to it's set engagement point but you've gone below the design then.

I have done hundreds also and I do desired pull weight first, sear engagement and then over travel. Not saying u are wrong and I am right but the way u insult my intelegegence makes me not want to pay attention to a ******* word u say. There are more than one way to skin a cat in about every given situation.

I have done hundreds also and I do desired pull weight first, sear engagement and then over travel. Not saying u are wrong and I am right but the way u insult my intelegegence makes me not want to pay attention to a ******* word u say. There are more than one way to skin a cat in about every given situation.
Well, don't know how else to tell you, read the directions that come with a Timney, every gunsmith I know adjusts the sear to the correct position and it's set then adjusted weight.

Well as mentioned earlier I am redneck and not a gunsmith and have played with these triggers countless times just tinkering, maybe under the influence but never the less I test everything (joke, kinda). Not saying your method is wrong as I have read directions on every trigger I have ever installed but I found it quicker and way more effective to do sear last once I get my target weight . Everyone wants that glass break of trigger. I can get it the way I do it and hey if u can get it the way u do it then that's all that matters. Apologies if I sounded rude as it was not my intention brother. And thank u for your insight and experience. We are all after the same thing again I apologize if I sounded like an *** hole.

Well as mentioned earlier I am redneck and not a gunsmith and have played with these triggers countless times just tinkering, maybe under the influence but never the less I test everything (joke, kinda). Not saying your method is wrong as I have read directions on every trigger I have ever installed but I found it quicker and way more effective to do sear last once I get my target weight . Everyone wants that glass break of trigger. I can get it the way I do it and hey if u can get it the way u do it then that's all that matters. Apologies if I sounded rude as it was not my intention brother. And thank u for your insight and experience. We are all after the same thing again I apologize if I sounded like an --- hole.
It's all good, I tend to come of more abrupt than I actually am!!

If you look at the way a Remington trigger works, you can see that if you set the pull weight first, then set the sear/adjust forward to the edge of breaking you would actually be adding more pull weight to your trigger by moving the connector forward. I always set the sear first, then over travel & then weight. If another adjustment to the sear engagement is made, I start all over because you just changed the relationship the other two adjustments have to where the sear is engaged.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts