My public land bull colorado

J-L

AA91DF48-372C-4400-89DC-C39C9C58C9DD.jpeg
A0E28EBB-1654-43CE-82A3-D7625E762D31.jpeg
05610DC4-5A49-4F06-B94F-F7A1548E0646.jpeg
1350923E-7195-4D09-AFA9-B0D0F85125F6.jpeg
New to the forum here but been hunting awhile. Got this bull last year by Craig 1st rifle. Originally humped in to the back country, opening morning saw some cows and a spike but no legal bulls. Hunted up there another day then decided to switch to lower country, got this guy at 367 yards , not too far I know , but still happy with the shot. Rifle specs .28 nosler , 700 action, lilja barrel , nightforce nxs , was having a tough time getting brass last year so finally found some and loaded up some old 150 gr ttsx Bullets I had hanging around , 3130 FPS, retumbo, TBAC .338 ultra can. Shot him about 800 am , by myself , packed him out took all day and multiple trips to the truck. Got him euro mounted. I've added some pics. And no won't say specifically where I was at but will say craig area ;)

Was pretty happy considering I got medically retired from the army a year before for a bad parachuting accident where I broke my pelvis and back, ICU, surgery, wheelchair, rehab for 6 months .... so pretty happy I could still do it , i was really hurting though after lol , note for you guys being a paratrooper after 40 is rough on the body :)

Not a lite rifle/optic combo to pack around. Way to go and good shooting.

Not a lite rifle/optic combo to pack around. Way to go and good shooting.
ha ha ha on the gps coords post :)

It was a blaze orange army 1st rifle there, I first hiked back in 3 miles and set up camp but opening morning there were still guys everywhere who had gone in on horseback.

I shot this guy only 1.5 mi from the truck - go figure , way better than 3 miles back in.

Not kidding on the weight of the rifle - I got the Macmillan ultra light stock, but then put a heavy *** Lilja barrel on it and with the can on it was like I was carrying around a telephone pole.

I decided after a couple of days to carry it without the TBAC , but when I would set up in a good spot I would thread it on and wait.

Awesome hunt and the mount is incredible. I love that area around Craig.

Nice going! Thanks for sharing.

Regarding your para damage -- did you end up having to jump too low?

Too windy we shouldn't have jumped , usual 1500 agl static line jump , when chute opened wasn't over dz , was cruising at 30 mph or so when I slammed into a side of hill. You want entertainment I'll post my post op xrays

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.