My Predicament

Bad Idea anyone hunting by themselves. Sh%$ Happens. Simple fall can have large consequences out there by yourself. You could ask your friend for help from another group which maybe camping in or near the same area. That way if you don't show up in the evening someone will begin the time count before they begin looking for ya. Again he was just checking a trail cam and looked what happened.

Several of my cams are up trees that I free climb.Where I live its much more rugged than where hes going.You cant hardly go anywhere in lower 48 where the isnt a road in resonable distance.Less Bob M.Practically everyone I know solos a lot.When I was in AK,we had camp,but where miles as much as 15 from each other.Thats good country over by GFalls

Last edited:
What about the other hunters that were going to help you

Tending toward not going. The outfitter in Great Falls with the group coming up isn't responding and the wife won't budge from being uncomfortable with me going.

Looks like this year is a loss but I'm already working on a spring bear hunt in MT.

Hunting isn't just about killing an dressing and animal, as long as u don't get lost or hurt, u will appreciate the experience regardless of the outcome
I agree there are many things about hunting besides the harvest. For me it's spiritual, especially when I'm out there without another human in sight for days. But I also learned in the military some do not do well out in the wilderness alone. We are social beings and to be truly alone isn't normal/ desirable for some. Now that I'm responsible for others I don't take the chances I once did. So that's one of the reasons I said the OP should listen to his gut. It's one of those things IMHO he needs to listen to HIS inner voice.

I agree there are many things about hunting besides the harvest. For me it's spiritual, especially when I'm out there without another human in sight for days. But I also learned in the military some do not do well out in the wilderness alone. We are social beings and to be truly alone isn't normal/ desirable for some. Now that I'm responsible for others I don't take the chances I once did. So that's one of the reasons I said the OP should listen to his gut. It's one of those things IMHO he needs to listen to HIS inner voice.
This is the problem. I'm not too worried about the physical issues since I would be fairly close to the car if anything minor should happen.

But if I fall and break a leg or ankle I'd be screwed. With a wife, 2.5 year, and 1 month old at home it makes it difficult to leave.

No kids I'd be gone in a second.

Tending toward not going. The outfitter in Great Falls with the group coming up isn't responding and the wife won't budge from being uncomfortable with me going.

Looks like this year is a loss but I'm already working on a spring best hunt in MT.
Well sorry to hear that. But prepping for next year's hunt now will make you even more prepared!

Thks for the answer,but I fully agree with you're planning for next year, Children two are very much in need of their father ,your Wife is right also ,Congratulations on your Wonderful Family ,thks n cheers🥳🥳🥳

My first impulse was to recommend going no matter what, but after hearing you have two infant aged children at home, I would lead towards the side of "discretion is the better part of valor".