My Predicament

If you don't have a hunt app, I would suggest getting one now and down load the maps needed for the areas you will be hunting in, in case your offline. I agree with the majority, just go, some of my most memorable hunting trips occurred when I didn't have a clue what I was getting into. You may very well be surprised at what good fortune will arise

So, I was scheduled to leave for Montana Thursday the 28th for a week long hunt with a buddy of mine. He is a backcountry guide and offered to take me out for my first elk trip.

Yesterday he texts me to say he fell checking a trail cam and broke three ribs and his foot and can't take me on the trip.

So what do I do? I have a non-resident general elk and deer combo tag and the last day to submit for a refund is today. I don't want to lose the $1200 I paid for the tags but I also have zero experience with western hunting. Every hunt I've ever been on is SC whitetails, sit in a stand over a pile of corn and wait. I've never even cleaned a kill.

So do I go by myself with a nearly 100% chance of failure while getting some experience, or eat the cost of the tags and wait until next year.
Well you already received the full range of opinion!
How i see your choice…
You might be looking to bag an elk & harvest meat . You might be looking for a personsl adventure you've never had before. Maybe both; "both" is what's off the table becsuse of your friend's accident.
If you want the bag/meat, take your refund and get ready for next year. If you want an adventure, go! Just be safe, as others have advised.
Best wishes!

I'm excited to see if he's going or not!

I'd agree with most on here. Go and give it a whirl. You'll learn a lot about hunting that area and most importantly, a lot about yourself. If you know where you are, how to get back to where you started and have the most essential things for survival, you can focus on the hunt and enjoy the mountains. Filling a tag is always great, but I've had a tag sandwich plenty of times and still cherish the experience. Hard to beat a week in the mountains away from all of the BS we currently have going on.

So, I was scheduled to leave for Montana Thursday the 28th for a week long hunt with a buddy of mine. He is a backcountry guide and offered to take me out for my first elk trip.

Yesterday he texts me to say he fell checking a trail cam and broke three ribs and his foot and can't take me on the trip.

So what do I do? I have a non-resident general elk and deer combo tag and the last day to submit for a refund is today. I don't want to lose the $1200 I paid for the tags but I also have zero experience with western hunting. Every hunt I've ever been on is SC whitetails, sit in a stand over a pile of corn and wait. I've never even cleaned a kill.

So do I go by myself with a nearly 100% chance of failure while getting some experience, or eat the cost of the tags and wait until next year.
Call the guide and ask for a replacement guide and your money back !

Well you already received the full range of opinion!
How i see your choice…
You might be looking to bag an elk & harvest meat . You might be looking for a personsl adventure you've never had before. Maybe both; "both" is what's off the table becsuse of your friend's accident.
If you want the bag/meat, take your refund and get ready for next year. If you want an adventure, go! Just be safe, as others have advised.
Best wishes!
Montana has elk hunting all the way through November try elk Creek outfitters out of heron mt

I hope you submitted for refund!

Is there no one else can go just for the company even....doesn't have to be a hunter...and I'm sure your guide can at least start you off in the right area...get you setup! Unless of course it was a pack trip.

Update: The wife doesn't want me going by myself because she worried about me, doesn't want our two kids growing up fatherless, yadda yadda yadda

I called 4 outfitters in Great Falls and the last one sounds promising. He has some friends coming in to town for their annual deer hunt and might be willing to take me with them. He is going to check with him and see what they are thinking and what they would want for compensation. Cost might be only for me to buy their tags.

DO IT.Life is full of unexpected.My son 26,drove half way across state.Left at 4am, in dark doing push ups to stay warm while waiting for shooting light.Was on top,8:30 AM bull down opener.

Last edited:
Update: The wife doesn't want me going by myself because she worried about me, doesn't want our two kids growing up fatherless, yadda yadda yadda

Valid. I run an InReach for satellite SMS checkins and breadcrumb tracking so she can see on the web, from the house, where I'm at.

Congrats on pushing through and finding possible outfitters/groups and not giving up. Many would have walked away from the challenge.

Cheers,
-mox

Ask to see the Xrays...... :) :) :)

Sure it ruined his season,as a guide it could dang near reck his income.Hope he had insurance to get fixed up,and no lasting effects