My Predicament

Ten or more years ago I broke five bones in my right foot in April, not working and sitting still for 6 weeks I couldn't help but think I would never get out west to hunt, there was always a reason not to go,rifle still at the smiths( 3 years ) broken foot, no one to go with, etc etc, decided to make my first trip that year, meet a guy in Colorado that lives 7 miles from me in Pennsylvania, we just returned from our 3 Moose hunting trip, we've been to Colorado 3 more times, I say GO!!!!!!!

1200 is a sunk cost, go learn the area, take the rifle for a hike, watch the sunrise and sunsets, glass for elk. You may not get one on the ground, but it can still be an epic trip.

All ungulates come apart the same way. Deer, elk, cattle, goat, pig, all the same. Line up a packer in the area in case you get one down, but watch a few youtubes and you will see it is pretty easy if you do not overthink it. Learn the gutless method, and do not forget the tenderloins. Worst case you literally screw up the cutting and make burger later.

Pay attention in the videos to cooling and meat care. Call your buddy if you get one down.

And have fun.

1200 is a sunk cost, go learn the area, take the rifle for a hike, watch the sunrise and sunsets, glass for elk. You may not get one on the ground, but it can still be an epic trip.

All ungulates come apart the same way. Deer, elk, cattle, goat, pig, all the same. Line up a packer in the area in case you get one down, but watch a few youtubes and you will see it is pretty easy if you do not overthink it. Learn the gutless method, and do not forget the tenderloins. Worst case you literally screw up the cutting and make burger later.

Pay attention in the videos to cooling and meat care. Call your buddy if you get one down.

And have fun.
Could Not Agree More!!!!
Do Not be Afraid of the unknown embrace it and Grow!!!!

Take the challenge! As long as you're fit enough and have communications just go. Dont sweat small stuff. Dont sell yourself short. You'll feel fulfilled as a human, both mentally and physically if you rise up and test your abilities. Food, water, shelter will get you through the rest. Kill, no kill doesnt matter. Get out there!

Dang sorry to hear that.
Some of the best hunts I went on were the last minute/non planed and go on an adventure. Big undertaking if you are going by yourself and have no idea with logistical items like food, lodging, transport in the hunting area and WHERE TO HUNT. If you can get the guide to give you info with area maps and setting you up and possibly taking you to the area by vehicle and turning you loose. I would strongly suggest you take a family member or friend along. Don't do it by yourself. If you do carry a GPS distress system in case you run into trouble.
If you can postpone to next year do that.
Safety First!
I have to agree with Coyote, either find a guide to on your long awaited hunt or get your money back when you can and plan on having the hunt next year. Better not to waste the cash on something that most likely will not be productive and could be dangerous doing something you are not prepared for on your own. Think success and never forget safety.

So, I was scheduled to leave for Montana Thursday the 28th for a week long hunt with a buddy of mine. He is a backcountry guide and offered to take me out for my first elk trip.

Yesterday he texts me to say he fell checking a trail cam and broke three ribs and his foot and can't take me on the trip.

So what do I do? I have a non-resident general elk and deer combo tag and the last day to submit for a refund is today. I don't want to lose the $1200 I paid for the tags but I also have zero experience with western hunting. Every hunt I've ever been on is SC whitetails, sit in a stand over a pile of corn and wait. I've never even cleaned a kill.

So do I go by myself with a nearly 100% chance of failure while getting some experience, or eat the cost of the tags and wait until next year.
Go…just go! Man, think about the adventure you're going to have. Montana is gorgeous, so there's that. And think about the lessons you're going to learn.

BTW, where in SC are you? I'm just outside of CLT.

A good friend should point you to another guide or give you some names of people that could help you. I would do some calling to the Wildlife Dept there and see if they have any contacts. Might cost you a little more but, what the heck, it would still be a good hunt.
Mike

I just hunted area I had never set foot in.I was way in backseat on access.Most days just felt like I was taking my bow for a walk.But I looked at it as new country and a vacation.When I was in my 20's I road 27 miles into the BOB M,never been.Before tech.Rode into a high basin 10 miles from camp.Tied a few flags,headed out.Never fired a shot,one best trips I ever had,saw the biggest muley of my life. DO IT

So, I was scheduled to leave for Montana Thursday the 28th for a week long hunt with a buddy of mine. He is a backcountry guide and offered to take me out for my first elk trip.

Yesterday he texts me to say he fell checking a trail cam and broke three ribs and his foot and can't take me on the trip.

So what do I do? I have a non-resident general elk and deer combo tag and the last day to submit for a refund is today. I don't want to lose the $1200 I paid for the tags but I also have zero experience with western hunting. Every hunt I've ever been on is SC whitetails, sit in a stand over a pile of corn and wait. I've never even cleaned a kill.

So do I go by myself with a nearly 100% chance of failure while getting some experience, or eat the cost of the tags and wait until next year.
If you skip this trip, will you be younger and more experienced and prepared next year?

Just go, grab an elk hunting book, cram on the Randy Newberg, Brian Call Gritty YouTube videos,

Go no matter what. You will ask around and can have someone on standby with horses or mules. Take an inReach and figure it out. You only live once so don't let this opportunity pass, guaranteed to be a great adventure! Be safe and good luck.