My Prairie Dog shoot

Iron Worker

Just got back from an awesome prairie dog shoot in Acton MT( Near billings MT) . Out fitters add said "Thousands of Dogs" It was true,showed up on property and dogs were out,but as day warmed up more dogs pop up . From 8:30 till 5:30 constant trigger pulling on 3 rifles. My AR-15 RRA coyote I learned when that rifle gets ultra hot it jams ,( What about our troops armed with those ?) must allow it to cool down.( Hot weather in mid 90s) Brought a T/C Ventura Predator in 22-250 it did very well. Then a semi custom 6-284 30" Brux bbl that rifle was to big 3-4 shot and bbl was screaming hot and loud as a cannon ( Muzzle brake) average shots were 200-350 yards. Could've made twice even thrice those distances but it would've required a dedicated spotter. Also brought a 22 magnum rifle and they( Dogs) were all pretty much out of range for that gun.
Modify message

Good deal! I try to get in some Pdoggin a couple times a year. Sorry to hear about problems with your AR, concerning, to say the least when vermin are about to overrun your position. I've shot Pdogs with 22LR (that doesn't last long) to a .308 and unabashedly giggle the whole time.Currently use a Savage.223 almost exclusively,but am shopping for .17 Hornet or.17WSM. Hope you get to go again soon. Regards

I had some great fun with my 17 Hornet out to 300yds last week in South Dakota.

Iron Worker, how bad did the outfitter hit you guys up for all that fun?

$200.00 bucks a day room and board very very nice place. What were cost on your hunt ? Next time I go i'm going with lighter calibers like yours . When my AR jammed I though I blew it by forgetting a chamber brush ,but soon as it cooled down a bit it was back in action ? It wouldn't chamber around nor did it eject a round ? Until I removed the magazine and slammed bolt shut then it extracted that casing but didn't chamber a follow up ,I guess things changed dimensions temporarily. But what about our troops in the Iraq desert ,surly they fire more ammo in an hour then I did all day ?

I am three weeks away from my annual prairie dog shoot,can't hardly wait.Have two Savage rifles in 223 and one in 6x45 and buckets of ammo loaded.I really like to swap guns so nothing gets too hot,works out really well for me

We've found a rancher about 5 years ago that has worked out well. It's been $125/day including an old farmhouse to stay in. The house is no prize, but super convenient.

glad you had a good time. there are a few places that have lots of dogs. I live in billings and race cars out by acton.

I stayed right across the street Lou and Duane Cowdin and he took out on a Crow Indian property ,he said 58,000 Acres ..... What do you do during the winters ?

I spend most of hunting season out in the field. my brother was lucky enough the 2 years to get a moose tag one year and an sheep tag the year before. both hunts we spent more than 30 days out hunting for them. the rest of the winter is normally helping build some drag cars for a friend.

Old forty five auto, did you have lot's of dog's? supposed to be going out in a few weeks and had been hearing rumors last year of diminished dog towns due to plague. Just wondering what you had seen. Usually shoot south of Pierre exit on I-90.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.