My Package, opinions please

Brent

My brother Derrick said he is going to buy one this summer, I like them. I just wish Lapua never chopped the Rigby case off like they did. The muzzle brake is too big and gaudy for me though, it would have to go. Derrick loves them. I hear they are VERY accurate. I think the 300gr MK will be recomended for LR work though. Have you compared the trajectory. The Armalite has a good price also I'm told.

I think if they are as accurate as they say it should be a good one I would like a longer barrel say around 32 or so to get the most vel.

Sounds like a good setup for longrange hunting/shooting.
I might choose a diff scope with a little more total adjustment travel. Leupolds 30mm tubed scopes and I think the niteforces have quite a bit more total travel.
I'm not downing Burris's at all I'm a Burris fan my self, just wish they had some more adustment: 308

The rifle has retail of around $1200 for the .338 Lapua... Actual is somewhere around $750. Since I haven't purchased none of the rifle equipment yet until I take delivery, my options are still open on all the equipment. I agree that the muzzle break is just but ugly and cumbersome, but that can be replaced. I figure that if all else fails, the action and stock alone is worth around $750. So a rebarrel is still rather cheap when you consider other custom made actions which start off at $750 or $1200. The bolt looks like a Savage bolt on steroids, I would prefer a one piece bolt but I cant have my cake and eat it too at this price. This will be my entry level centerfire bolt action rifle package for target shooting.

I can't seem to find a Nightforce below or equal to than say what a new Leupold 8.5-24x50mm scope goes for. I've never shot long range so that would be a reason for a variable power scope vs a fixed power. Leupold doesn't offer a Mil-dot reticle in the model listed above, I think that the leupold is 1/4 click but they don't list any details on their site. The Burris is 1/8" adjustments, and I think that the listed adjustment value in inches is at the highest power, 32x so that equates normally, and it is a $100 cheaper than the Leupold. Plus I don't know how much magnification I need to shoot. Some people say somewhere around 14x while others say goto the highest power possible, something about mirage conditions prevailing.

What do ya'll guys think of my dream package for some long range target shooting?

Armalite AR-30 .338 Lapua Mag bolt action
Burris Black Diamond 8-32x50mm, 30mm tube, 1/8 clicks, Mil-dot
Burris signature rings
Harris SL Bipod

to reload
Forster/Bonanza Co-ax
Forster Ultra BR dies, machined to match fired cases.
Forster BR powder measure
RCBS 505 scale, (measure all charges)
Lapua cases
Sierra 250gr SP/BT bullets
Vihtavouri powder
CCI primers

Orion Short Tube spotting scope, 90mm obj.

The rifle has allready been ordered and I should get it in June or so. After I get the rifle i'll invest in the rest of the equipment.

Sc0,
have you looked at the Nightforce 5.5-22x56 or 8-32x56 with the NP-R2 reticle? It has hash marks and are in MOA not MIL's so ranging is a breeze unlike MIL's. It is laser etched glass not wire, and it's clarity is unmatched, lots of eye relief, tons of adjustment, and recoil and impact is tested at 1,200 Gs for both positive and negative forces etc, etc.

Ranging,
If you know the size of the object you want to range,

1.)Divide it by the size in MOA
2.)Multiply by 100 (just add two zeros) and you have the range.

It is very accurate and not a gimick, set a milk jug out and go several hundred yards and see for yourself. http://www.nightforceoptics.com/nxs.html

Oh, where did you order the AR30 for $750? Does it include the $90 base, $90 rings, $30 T-rail and shipping too or am I dreaming big now.

Later
Brent

$760 with S&H. no mounts or bases.

Who sells a Nightforce Benchrest 8-32x56 scope for under retail? Or, any Nightforce scope for under retail? $997 is a bit steep for a scope.

Sc0,
WHO did you order it from for $760?

You have the best price on the 8-32x56 i've seen, you get what you pay for in most cases, in this one I think you get quite a bit more for once, just my opinion. Look at the USO scopes
rolleyes.gif
...$$$$

Brent, the rifle with S&H is $760.

As for the Nightforce Benchrest 8-32x56, the best price that I can find on that is Bruno's which offers price matching at $996 or so. I haven't been able to find much information on USO scopes, other than they are rumored to be a bit steep in price.

I wouldn't mind paying extra money for a USO or Nightforce scope, but would it justified to spend $300 to $500 more on top of what the Burris goes for, which is about $700? (I like the Nightforce Benchrest, 1/8moa clicks, thick tube, heavy, etc.)

your looking at least double the price of a Leupold MkIV for US Optics scope. the one i have on order is $2100 and it's not the top of the line

I am at a toss-up now.

Someone mentioned Nightforce scopes so I am now considering one as the optic of choice for the rifle. Burris and Leupolds are a bit equal to me but the Nightforce supposedly has a thicker tube, which I view as a plus. 8-32x56

If cost isn't a factor then I say go for the U.S. OPTICS but if you still want to do other thing things get the nightforce you can't go wrong with either one. Remember you get what you pay for.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts