My own darn fault!!!...........

[ QUOTE ]
JD,

Best I can figure he was dropping out of supersonic around 1850 to 1900 yards at the most. said he was using the 210 Berger over 65.0 gr RL-22.

Those 210 Bergers must do alot better dropping out of super sonic velocity then the 300 gr SMK!!

Also said it was measured using the Leica Geovid. I was not aware the Geovid would range to +2200 yards????

Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]
I was a bit shocked when I opened up the Varmint Hunter, I went to the pictures to see Kirby's smiling face but no member pic's in this issue so I went to the back page Jesse James Freese 300WSM,2238yds,Leica Geovid on a badger. this has red flags all over it besides the bullet traveling several hundred yards sub-sonic and the rangefinders questionable mile and a quarter ability ,the biggest red flag for me is the badger part, I have shot a few badgers in my time and the only ones I have killed have been on the first shot the second shot they are on the dead run. 1 shot 1 kill at this range I dont buy. I wish he were a member here so we could find out more details.
UB

uncle B mistake #1 is kirby's smiling face, not gonna happen!! the mans veins run icewater, how else could he hit stuff that far.
Now I'll tell ya, I'm gonna take the honors next year if someone from illinois would call me when they see a chuck out in the field and e-mail the co-ordinates cause lord knows here in the east we can't see 2370 yds.
I did however take a doe out at 532 yds this morn, kirby add it to my list, and BTW got ya some business coming, you should see these rednecks slobber when I unpack the kirby special!
JS

UncleB,

I would agree about the Badgers, unless you pop one in the pumpkin, they can take an awful pounding before giving up the ghost and to be honest, a wounded Badger can dig himself down into a gopher hole faster then you can believe and out of sight and reach. Seen it a couple times popping them at ranges out to 500-600 yards and before we could get up to them to finish them off, all you could see was alot of flying dirt and nothing when you get there.

That said, sometimes its better to be lucky then good!! Only takes one pill to the head to get a kill. Are there some questionable issues with the information on his shot, you bet but if the Varmint Hunters Association does not care to follow up what can ya do.

Anyway, I to wish we could hear the whole story, may help drop any suspicion which really does nothing to help this honor based contest.

But hell, I remember seeing a 1000 yard qualifying shot on time a couple years back where a guy had a prairie dog kill that he made at a bit over 1100 yards if I remember correctly. His load, a 40 gr Ballistic Tip in a 223 Rem Improved...............

Again, had I submitted my shot we would not be having this conversation!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Nice job on the shot, I am just beginning in this adventure of long range shooting and hope to be able to send some in myself but nothing in the range of that.
I just recieved the same issue. I have looked through it, but can't find the page you are talking about. I am looking at the January-March issue 2007(issue#61). Is that the same issue and or what issue and page.
I look forward to looking at the back of the mag and looking at the pictures members have sent in of their hunts, but all I get to look at is the jamboree from this year. Instead I will read the mag many times until next issue is delivered in 3 mounths, by that time I will have the mag well read.

The small write up is on the second to last page I believe. Just a small paragraph in the middle of the page.

No there is no shot limit which would be interesting to know on some of these claimed shots. I will freely admit I took 5 shots at my 2370 yard chuck. The first one was 2 feet or so low, the next three were within a foot or so overshooting the chuck but extremely close and the last one finally did the job.

I really did not know how far the chuck was for the first shot, then used the impact data to comp for the next four. They were all in the sun 3/4 moa range easily. THe range was later confirmed with a Wilde rangefinder and by gps measurements as well.

Kirby Allen(50)

I got one question? How yall see them critters that far? Takes all I can do to see a deer at 1500 yds. And harder than that to tell if he is 125 inches or better at 300 yds. HHmm maybe I need some new bi nocs and scopes...AWESOME SHOOTIN'.

Kirby,
That's just not right!! They should stop the presses for a shot like that. I am all excited about my whitetail shot and your popping chucks at 2370. Looks like I need to stay on the porch with the pups!

Great Shot!!!

Mike

Oneshot976,

Remember, there is no pressure shooting at a chuck at this range, totally differnet thing shooting at a big game animal so its really not in the same class of challange. A big game animal is much more mentally challanging.

Kirby Allen(50)

Nyles,

Its more a case of knowing the area really well and knowing which little black dot should be on that rock and which one is not always there!!!

Good glass is a must but studying the area and knowing what is a black rock and what is a chuck is critical at that range. That said, with a quality scope, it would amaze you what you can see at that range and even much farther.

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
the 210 will drop from supersonic (less than 1000fps)at around 1900yds

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering how much of a down angle this shot would need to keep the bullet Supersonic out to 2300yds ?

Does the Varmit hunters *** use the actual distance of bullet travel or the horzontal distance?

Dr B

BJlooper,

I have not run the numbers but I do not think any realistic angle would allow an extra 400 yards in super sonic velocity.

Up and down angles have more to do with bullet impact then with velocity changes. Most velocity drop is due to drag on the bullet form the air it is flying through, gravity really does not slow a bullet dramatically.

Now altitude does play a huge role in how far a bullet will remain supersonic. For instance, at 10,000 ft. you would get much more range supersonic then at sea level. The speed of sound is less at high altitude because the air is thinner, same reason why the bullet will stay super sonic longer in the higher altitudes thin air.

The measured range is from point A, you, to point B, the critter.

Kirby Allen(50)

I try to stay even keeled but at times something can hit me just the wrong way and I can over react and take a dive off the DEEP END, this is one of those times.
Jesse James Freese's claim of taking a Badger at 2238yds with a 300WSM with 210gr Berger's and ranging it with a Leica Geovid is TOTAL BULL feces !!!!!!!!!!!!!(sorry Len).
I can say this because I won the VHA Long Shot of the Year award last year with the help of goodgrouper,7mmRHB and Oldbear with VASTLY SUPERIOR equiptment and it took me shot's into the double digit's on the perfect day to accomplish my goal,I know what it takes to achieve success at this range and he is feeding us a LIE !!!!!!!
In protest I am sending the V.H.A. back the Plaque/trophy they gave me last year, it has no legitimacy if this kind of crap is allowed without question.
UB

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.