My own darn fault!!!...........

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Well, many of you know that I was fortunate enough to get a rockchuck kill this summer at 2370 yards with my 338 AM nicknamed Black Sunshine.

This was relatively early on in the varmint season so we waited to submit the shot for record until everyone got some shooting in this summer.

One thing led to another and before I knew it the summer was long gone and I had still not submitted my shots to the Varmint Hunters Association for record.

I e-mailed them, it was the first week in November and asked what the deadline was for the Long Shot of The year award was. A nice lady replied and said November was the deadline month. I was happy as could be and submitted all the qualifying shots on line including the 2370 yard kill.

I then e-mailed her again to make sure they received the submissions and her reply was that she had but unfortunately she had made a mistake and that November 1st was the deadline and I had missed it by a 5 days!!! She did say that my shot would be kept on record for the next years competition and that it should be very high up in the ranking if not the farthest of the year.

Now I felt pretty sick. I sent another and just for my own personal punishment had to ask how my shot would have ranked this year.

The reply was I would have won easily with my shot.

Well, the latest VH magazine showed up yesterday and sure enough the winner was Jesse Freese with a 2238 yard kill on a Montana badger with his 300 WSM.

Hell of a shot and I would like to congradulate him on not only a fine shot but also submitting the shot before the deadline!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Would have been nice to go for back to back Long Shot of the year awards but we will have to see how 2007 pans out and if all goes well try for the repeat in 2008.

Only problem is that now alot of very serious shooters know there is a very long shot to beat!!! Guess 2500 yards will be my goal this summer.

Anyway, congrats to Jessie on a fine shot and I have no one to blame but myself for this one. Hopefully the shot will hold up for next years award.

Kirby Allen(50)

it sucks to be busy don't it !!

I sure would like to know about this guys setup , a 300WSM at over 2000yds , and it actualy killed somthing , thats pretty darn impressive

Its ok Kirby next year you'll just have to kill somthing at 3000 yds to givem the old one up trick !!

That is too bad about the deadline. I suspect the distance will hold up though. That is a long ways to hit something.

Although, there might be some people in Oklahoma who might try. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Although, there might be some people in Oklahoma who might try.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shhhhhhh!!! We might not get our gun till Nov. 1st of next year /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

JD,

Best I can figure he was dropping out of supersonic around 1850 to 1900 yards at the most. said he was using the 210 Berger over 65.0 gr RL-22.

Those 210 Bergers must do alot better dropping out of super sonic velocity then the 300 gr SMK!!

Also said it was measured using the Leica Geovid. I was not aware the Geovid would range to +2200 yards????

Kirby Allen(50)

Thats funny BB, I was thinking the same thing. I think my 338 AM reamer just got mysteriously damaged. Expect it back around Thanksgiving next year!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just kidding the biggest baddest 338 AM is in the works as we speak.

Say, if I build the rifle do I get partial credit for Long Shot of the year??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

Sorry to hear about that Kirby.
Speaking about PD's and bullets going subsonic or even transonic, can anyone tell me about how the 200 WC's do?

Kirby,

I am going to join the "Procrastinater's Club" but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry you missed the dead line.
Hope 2007 finds you with a 2500 yd kill.

JD338

So is this long range club thing based on just your word if you actualy made the shot at such a remarkable range. I can see making a 2000yd shot with a hot 338 cal or other hot 7mm 30 cal with super high bc bullet like the 200gr wildcat and so on. I just have a little trouble swallowing a 2200yd shot with a 300WSM and 210gr berger bullets!!

1) the 210 will drop from supersonic (less than 1000fps)at
around 1900yds , lets just say that it doesn't get
unstabill and holds its speed to maybe 800fps at 2200yds
that amkes for almost 300ftlbs of energy , I'm pretty
sure that the berger would not have opened up much if any
at all so you have simply poked a .308" hole into a
pretty tough tenations critter which I'm sure it took a
pretty good while to die from that wound , time enough
for him to have gotten to a hole in the time it took you
to cover 2000+yds.
2) I like Kirby wasen't aware of any non military ranging
equiptment that would read much past 1500yds accuratly
with only one shot.

I'd have to have been their and seen it with my own eyes to believe that story. Kinda like the guys thats shoot 3000yds or some such with a 308 and 240gr SMK , I'd just have to see that one for myself.

Kirby , if a guy was to shoot a deer that was allowed because of CDP tags would that count as a varmint? Also is the 50 bmg allowed in this contest?

JD,

Yes, its an honor system with this contest. You have to meet the following criteria:

1. Make the shot!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
2. Provide information on rifle and load(optional I believe)
3. Must be witnessed by another registered member of the Varmint Hunters Association.
4. Have to offer what ranging method used to measure the distance.

Simply put, if you wanted to you could easily make something up but with most guys on here, that is usually not the case.

I have no doubt that Jesse made the shot and I congratulate him for the accomplishment which it is a great one with any rifle or load. That said, at that range, there is a good deal of luck involved even if your shooting a huge 338 AM. Even the best rifle will be lucky to hold 3/4 moa or less at that range so there is some luck involved no matter what you do.

Also keep in mind that he may have easily just put one of those 210 gr Bergers through the Badgers punkin!! Does not take much if hit in the right spot.

I really do not want this to turn into a session of questioning his shot. He said he made the shot and I take his word for trueth as I would home mine would be. If I had sumbitted the darn qualifying shot I made we would not even be discussing this!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway, he will have to better to win the award next year!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.