My Opening Day in Texas

Hondo64d

Well, my season is largely over with only doe tags left to fill, an hour into it… Not that that's a bad thing…

Got this buck this morning.

IMG_0627_zps6bcd979a.jpg

A hair over 300 yards from the prone off a bipod. He was slightly quartering away. I put the 155gr Scenar about the last rib on the near side, exiting the front of the off shoulder, center punching the heart in between. Buck ran about 40 to 50 yards. Exit wound was not much larger than bullet sized and left NO blood trail. I was very surprised at the lack of internal damage. The heart was nearly split in two, but little other apparent damage. Scenars are definitely MUCH harder than VLDs.

This was my first game animal I've taken with Zeiss' Rapid Z 600 reticle. I don't think I could have hit any closer to my point of aim if I could have walked up and touched the barrel to him before pulling the trigger.

Here he is (on the left) compared to my opening day buck from the same property two years ago.

IMG_0632_zps48a8655b.jpg

John

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.