My one-on-one long-range tutorial

I took my dad out to the desert and filmed myself teaching him to shoot long range. It's a pretty interesting video! I'm super proud of him. He did really well for a 70 year old guy with back problems. Check it out!

Great time with your Dad. Never pass on those times. He will be gone sooner than you think. Sure he spent hours and hours teaching you in your early years. Life roles reverse. Great to return the favor. Thanks for sharing your time together.

That's cruel making the old guy hold the steel plate. Now we know why you took him along..... Thought that was what GFs/wives were for..... Ditch the glasses and you have....ME!!!! ....except for the not owning rifles and shotguns.....foreign concept.

But, gotta have some FUN with your teaching....

Got him in the "little green army man" position. Proper position is square behind the rifle to better manage recoil. Poor recoil management is major inaccuracy factor.
"Bullet is long gone before recoil impacts shooter".....NOT. Recoil is the action-reaction of Newton's Laws of Motion. Recoil begins and builds as bullet accelerates down barrel opposing bullet motion. No recoil; no bullet motion. Bullet exits barrel; pressure thrusting bullet and rifle drops; recoil gone.
Rifle butt on meaty part of shoulder...really??? In the pocket is right. Show us the shoulder bruises afterward.
Leave bolt open/use chamber flag...rather than closed bolt when down range.
:) :) :) :)

Last edited:
I took my dad out to the desert and filmed myself teaching him to shoot long range. It's a pretty interesting video! I'm super proud of him. He did really well for a 70 year old guy with back problems. Check it out!

Great video, thank you. Your instructional technique is professional, demonstrating strong communication skills and patience.

Very cool sir, Very cool. Hope you guys had a good time and your Dad is willing to go out with you again and try that 1000 m shot. Time spent with family is precious. Good video and lots of great reminders.
Thanks so much! He really enjoyed it, despite his neck pain. We also scouted a slightly shorter (750 meter) spot, so I was really happy to hear him say that he'd like to come back and try from there. It's so true what you said - there's nothing better than good times with family.

Great time with your Dad. Never pass on those times. He will be gone sooner than you think. Sure he spent hours and hours teaching you in your early years. Life roles reverse. Great to return the favor. Thanks for sharing your time together.

That's cruel making the old guy hold the steel plate. Now we know why you took him along..... Thought that was what GFs/wives were for..... Ditch the glasses and you have....ME!!!! ....except for the not owning rifles and shotguns.....foreign concept.

But, gotta have some FUN with your teaching....

Got him in the "little green army man" position. Proper position is square behind the rifle to better manage recoil. Poor recoil management is major inaccuracy factor.
"Bullet is long gone before recoil impacts shooter".....NOT. Recoil is the action-reaction of Newton's Laws of Motion. Recoil begins and builds as bullet accelerates down barrel opposing bullet motion. No recoil; no bullet motion. Bullet exits barrel; pressure thrusting bullet and rifle drops; recoil gone.
Rifle butt on meaty part of shoulder...really??? In the pocket is right. Show us the shoulder bruises afterward.
Leave bolt open/use chamber flag...rather than closed bolt when down range.
:) :) :) :)
Cheers man, and thanks for the feedback. Lots of great points there. You're quite right about recoil beginning immediately upon ignition. I should have said that the reaction time to recoil is much longer than the travel of the bullet from chamber to muzzle. By "meaty", I meant the pocket. I did feel with my hand that he had it in the right spot. I'll definitely tell people "pocket" from now on as that's much clearer. No bruises, and he did say he found the recoil a non-issue. As for body position, that's pretty subjective stuff. "If it's dumb and it works, it's not dumb!". I close the chamber after clearing the rifle because gusts of wind tend to blow a lot of dust and dirt around in that area, especially when it's hot and dry.

I lost my dad at age 26, and he was age 60+1 day. I glad I did spent time with him in the last few years after coming from Vietnam. I learned a lot from him in those 4 short year. Not that he didn't teach me a lot for the years before. He never got to see his grand kids. They were both shorted. There isn't hardly a day goes by without me thinking of him and the good times with him. I never realize what he had ingrain in me until far later on in life. I thank him every day. The dad's need to spent time with there kids too. It goes both ways.

I lost my dad at age 26, and he was age 60+1 day. I glad I did spent time with him in the last few years after coming from Vietnam. I learned a lot from him in those 4 short year. Not that he didn't teach me a lot for the years before. He never got to see his grand kids. They were both shorted. There isn't hardly a day goes by without me thinking of him and the good times with him. I never realize what he had ingrain in me until far later on in life. I thank him every day. The dad's need to spent time with there kids too. It goes both ways.
I'm so sorry for your loss Mike. Thank you for sharing that with me. I'm grateful for the time with my dad and hope I live to meet my grandkids. I'm 43. My son is 3 and my daughter is not yet 1. Fingers crossed.