My next scope- help please

topbrass

I have narrowed it down to these in my order of preference.

Husekemaw would probably be here, but I dont have enough information yet.

Which one:

Zeiss MC Conquest Rifle Scope 6.5-20x 50mm Side Focus Target Turrets Rapid Z 1000 Reticle Matte

Zeiss MC Conquest Rifle Scope 6.5-20x 50mm Side Focus Target Turrets Rapid Z 1000 Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA

Trijicon AccuPoint TR23 Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 5-20x 50mm Dual-Illuminated Mil-Dot with Green Dot Reticle Matte

Trijicon AccuPoint TR23 Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 5-20x 50mm Dual-Illuminated Mil-Dot with Green Dot Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA

Swarovski Z5 Rifle Scope 3.5-18x44mm Side Focus BRX Ballistic Reticle Matte

Swarovski Z5 Rifle Scope 3.5-18x44mm Side Focus BRX Ballistic Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA

Leupold Mark 4 Long Range Tactical M1 Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6.5-20x 50mm Side Focus TMR Reticle Matte

Leupold Mark 4 Long Range Tactical M1 Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6.5-20x 50mm Side Focus TMR Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA

Leupold VX-3L Long Range Target Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6.5-20x 56mm Side Focus Varmint Hunters Reticle Matte

Leupold VX-3L Long Range Target Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6.5-20x 56mm Side Focus Varmint Hunters Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA

They are all good rifle scopes:cool:. If you want a price break check out gr8ful doug at cameralandny.com . I have bought 2 Ziess 6X20X50 there and they are spot ongun)ck the simple list for a good price $870. Demo unit. Bill Maylor..

Last edited:
What are you wanting/expecting from your next scope? More info is needed to help you choose the scope that best fits your needs

Just a reminder, if you get a scope with a balistic plex Z1000, Z800, etc, your drop will not be close because you have to use the same ammunition, caliber, temp, baro, elev.
And in hunting condition, you will never get the same info.
Get a MILDOT with hash line, MOA, MP8, NP-R1, NP-R2 and you will be able to use reticle all the time in all weather condition.

tHE bdc, OR z1000 ARE greAt reticles but you have to MATCH THE above condition.

Shooting .308 or .223. Ranging without a range finder. Hunting without/minimal scope adjustment - reticle with preset holdover for fast target acquisition and aiming. Maybe shooting F-Class. 800 to 1000 yds max.

Just a reminder, if you get a scope with a balistic plex Z1000, Z800, etc, your drop will not be close because you have to use the same ammunition, caliber, temp, baro, elev.
And in hunting condition, you will never get the same info.
Get a MILDOT with hash line, MOA, MP8, NP-R1, NP-R2 and you will be able to use reticle all the time in all weather condition.

tHE bdc, OR z1000 ARE greAt reticles but you have to MATCH THE above condition.

I read the Zeiss web page and used the online calculator and it doesnt seem that difficult. You are limited to the load that you set the scope up for, but when I hit the field to hunt, I carry only one load. So it isnt a problem.

Both of my Zeiss have #20 Z-plex. I dont like the hold over guess! I am learning how to use my target knobs. If you use the same ammo all the time I guess the hold over is ok? I am also trying my hand at reloading. I have always learned the hard way, I am a retired plumber with a hard head:D.
Bill Maylor..

I am tired of turning knobs. I have competed for so long I want something that I can set and forget. All my good scopes have target dots. SO I want something that I can range and get on target fast. No knobs.

A .308 with a 175-180gr bullet will take anything in NA, and is quite accurate.

Shooting .308 or .223. Ranging without a range finder. Hunting without/minimal scope adjustment - reticle with preset holdover for fast target acquisition and aiming. Maybe shooting F-Class. 800 to 1000 yds max.

You will be better served with a Mill or MOA reticle, these will work at any elevation and with any load and be much more precise to boot. The BDC reticles are for those that do not know any better IMHO and experience. I have wasted my money on them and learned the hard way

You will be better served with a Mill or MOA reticle, these will work at any elevation and with any load and be much more precise to boot. The BDC reticles are for those that do not know any better IMHO and experience. I have wasted my money on them and learned the hard way

Well done nailed. I have a friend and he didn't understand mil moa concept and he got z800 for 300wm with 180 gr scirroco bullet.
He regrets, because he can not use the holdover past 450yrd. We hunt at 2-3 elevation 2200, 4500 and 5700ft and his scope is useless. BTW he paid 3500 on scope.. and the hash-marks are so thick you can hide a deer head at 800yrds behind.
Just as reminder to learn from others mistakes.
If you like the Z1000 god for me but make sure you can return the scope.
As mentioned MOA or MIL are the way to go, but you need litlle more time to learn the concept.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.