My new Turkey shotgun?

Bobhunts

I have never set up for longer ranges for turkey before now, but this is what I have going on now! I have Browning BPS and ordered a mount with a Picatinny rail and a Leupold VX 1 scope to mount on top. I also ordered a " Hevi-Shot" extreme range choke. When I get all of this put together would I be better off using shot shells by the same brand as the choke when patterning my shots? I have some Kent Turkey shot shells so is there a difference in matching a choke to the shell? Just wondering if chokes are really matched to the shot shell. Gonna be back packing in with snow shoes on the pack to crest the drifts here in Colorado. Also it will be fun looking for elk and deer sheds. Any advice? I would assume a choke from a particular brand would have been tested with there own shot and I can assume that but in reality other brands might just do fine? Bob.

Bob-- Turkeys are one of my favorite things to chase. I think you have the right idea getting a scope mounted. The next thing I would do is settle on the load you want for long range performance. This might sound a little backwards but hear me out.

If you want to kill that 60+ yard gobbler you need energy and pellet density. Finding a load that will offer both is the key. I would take a hard look at the Federal Heavyweight #6s or #5s.

See how those pattern in the choke you have and then go from there. I've got some of my best patterns out of a $30 HS Strut Undertaker Choke.

I did try the long beard XR on the pattern board and would def recommend the 5s. I feel anything bigger than that you lose too much pattern density.

Geo--- What load and choke are you using?? Is that 3.5" and 2.25oz shot?

250 pellets of #4 @ 50yds is crushing it. I'm tracking a total pellet count of 280 +/-

You are right at 90% pattern @ 50yds, that is a winner!!

Remington Versa-Max 3.5" Winchester Long Beard #4 shot. I tried every choke I could find Remington, Carlson, And High Flyer in modified to extra full. What worked best was the full Remington choke(.660 inside diameter).

Check out these threads Coyote Shotgun Ammo and Choke Test and EO Tech or Bead. There may be more info in these you might find interesting.

Use a Mossberg 935 with super-full ported accu choke. 3 in Long Beard shells. 6 birds came in to about 40 yrds. Shot 3 times and only 2 flew away. So 4 birds with 3 shots is alright. I'll keep this set up for Spring and see what happens.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.