My new rifle project .243 Akley

ballie

Hi guys,

This is my first time on here so hi to you all.

I am about to order a custom build rifle, it will be a Sako 75 action in a Mc Millian A5 stock with a 26" Krieger barrel, chambered in .243 Akley.

I want the gun to shoot as flate as possible to shoot foxes. I will be using either 55gr, 65gr or 70gr bullets (I will see what it and I like best) I am hoping to get the muzzle fps up to around 4000 fps.

My question is what would be the best barrel twist rate to shoot these light bullests, am I right in thinking a 1-12 would be about right?

Thanks from the UK

1-12" will be fine LOL

Oh My God, you get everywhere! How embarrassed do I feel now! I was just after a bit of independent advice from our friends overseas and of all the people in the world you pop up.

You've got the job anyway.

Speak soon.

Last edited:
You said you were shooting foxes. Are you saving the pelts? How far are you planning to shoot? This will have a deciding factor on what kind of bullet and what weight.

I have a couple of 243 ackleys, one with an 8 twist bbl and the other with a 7.5. The 8 twist was built for the 107's, but i have played around with the 87's and 80 grain BT's for shooting coyotes. They both shot just fine. I can get +3700 with the 80's and that's not even pushing them too hot.

I also give a vote to the 8 twist as you can get some great ballistics w/ the 107, 105, etc. and it will also shoot the lighter bullets, but if you went w/ the 12 twist, you would never be able to work up the heavy bullets if you decided you wanted too some day.

just my opinion.

The foxes I am shooting will be at night using a lamp most of them are around 250 - 300 yards (sometimes a little more may be 350) but as anyone knows at night things seem a lot further than there are! The pelts are of no concern to me I just want them dead!

What are the views on a 1 -9 twist barrel (on a .243 AI with 264 neck) will a 1 -9 twist barrel shoot 70 grain Nozzler BT's at about 3700 fps in a tight group or is a 1 -9 too fast a twist for these light bullets?

If 350 is the max yardage I would shoot a hornady V-Max 58gr. I shoot these out of my 243wssm at just over 4000 fps with 4895 hogdon powder. This load is not only a scremer but it is very accurate out to 500 yards. It knocks the dogs dead. You should get the same velocity with a 243 AI. I have a 1in 9 twist with no problems.

If 350 is the max yardage I would shoot a hornady V-Max 58gr. I shoot these out of my 243wssm at just over 4000 fps with 4895 hogdon powder. This load is not only a scremer but it is very accurate out to 500 yards. It knocks the dogs dead. You should get the same velocity with a 243 AI. I have a 1in 9 twist with no problems.

Yes I would very much like to shoot the 55g noz. 58g or the 65g v-max but I am a bit worried that a 1-9 twist would like (need) something a little heavier.

Fox are very easy to kill. I take it your doing year round control work. One round you might want to think about the the 20 Tactical. With a 32 grainer loaded hot 4100 plus would be a very hot flat hard hitting round for your requirement. You know the drill fox look like there 20 pounds until you get them peeled then you see how small that vital area is but they are easy to kill.

While lamping at night there is no time to deal with heavy slow bullets guessing and all the dialing in BS. I have a 243 AI with a 14 twist that will get the 55's moving at about 4000fps and this is loaded hot.

As you stated in your original thread you were using a 1in12 twist barrel. You won't have a problem with the 55gr. to 70 gr. bullets stablizing. You will get great velocities with the 243 AI. Just rember that the increased velocity carries a price with increased barrel wear.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts