My new rifle. (lets start with the action)

I talked to my smith today and he recommended any belted magnum action stating the 7mm rm and 300wm would be the most available. He also attempted to convince me that I would be better suited with a rem 700 action because of availability of accesories. Brad

OP, I personally love the vanguard rifles but with your choice of chambering would lean me toward something else with your bullet preference simply because of the mag box length.

my 7mmx300win I have to single feed with the 180gr bergers because mag box is only 3.530" long

You can have your Vanguards box mag replaced with a factory length rem 700 box mag and gain some over all length, Kirby Allen did mine. I was single round loading 185g VLDs after Kirby sent me the rifle back I dont have to do that anymore.

I talked to my smith today and he recommended any belted magnum action stating the 7mm rm and 300wm would be the most available. He also attempted to convince me that I would be better suited with a rem 700 action because of availability of accesories. Brad

In all honesty, unless you already have an action buy a custom rem 700 clone and be done with it. Your going to spend the cost of the action bringing anyone of them up to spec and your resale will be higher.

A700 doesn't have a one piece ported bolt with M16 extractor. If those things are important to you they will cost you an extra $300 or more in parts and labor. You cannot get an integral recoil lug but you can get the next best thing, a pinned HD recoil lug which will cost you another $50 plus. As for after market parts, McMillan and Manners are the top stock makers out there. Is a Timney3 position safety trigger good enough for you I do like Jewels a little better but to get them in a 3 position will cost another $125 in a 700.

A700 doesn't have a one piece ported bolt with M16 extractor. If those things are important to you they will cost you an extra $300 or more in parts and labor. You cannot get an integral recoil lug but you can get the next best thing, a pinned HD recoil lug which will cost you another $50 plus. As for after market parts, McMillan and Manners are the top stock makers out there. Is a Timney3 position safety trigger good enough for you I do like Jewels a little better but to get them in a 3 position will cost another $125 in a 700.

Mark, I have to play devil's advocatehere :D PT&G one piece L/A bolts with M16 extractor are <$200.

https://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.co...=product_info&cPath=4_101_103&products_id=173

Yes, a pinned lug is extra but not a necessity if you're trying to save money. I ran a Timney on my 338RUM from the beginning, my experiences were less than stellar; Maybe I got a lemmon...

As for safeties.... right, wrong or indifferent (I am in no way advocating my actions as good or necessary) I have very little use for one. When I built my 6-284, I left the safety completely out of the build (Shilen target trigger). Maybe for those in different scenarios, a 3-position (or any safety) might be a great idea. For me, it's a crutch for those who can't keep their booger hooks off the bang button. I prefer to utilize a different method of responsible chambered carry, ala Capstick.

t

I should clarify that Jewel does not make a trigger for Howas. Also, the additional $125 for a 3 position safety is above the approximately $125 higher cost for the jewel. This is because a special bolt shroud must be purchased for the 700 to accept the 3 position safety. So a total of about $500 more than the Howa Timney for the 700 3 position trigger.

Gunsmiths are like the rest of us, they have their opinions, peeves and preferences. If you want a Howa then get a Howa. If you want a 700, then get a custom action because you are going to dump a lot into a 700 to get it up to speed.

Mark, I have to play devil's advocatehere :D PT&G one piece L/A bolts with M16 extractor are <$200.

https://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.co...=product_info&cPath=4_101_103&products_id=173

Yes, a pinned lug is extra but not a necessity if you're trying to save money. I ran a Timney on my 338RUM from the beginning, my experiences were less than stellar; Maybe I got a lemmon...

As for safeties.... right, wrong or indifferent (I am in no way advocating my actions as good or necessary) I have very little use for one. When I built my 6-284, I left the safety completely out of the build (Shilen target trigger). Maybe for those in different scenarios, a 3-position (or any safety) might be a great idea. For me, it's a crutch for those who can't keep their booger hooks off the bang button. I prefer to utilize a different method of responsible chambered carry, ala Capstick.

t
Tyler, I completely agree that safeties are crutches and that folks depend on them too much. That said, I have a Timney three position on my 6.5 WSM and will be putting another on my 6-284. The OP indicated a preference for a three position so that's why I'm bringing up the options.I have a Jewel on my 700 300 RUM and love it. I'm also very happy with the Timney and like the three position feature.

As for the pinned recoil lug, I figure if I'm going to invest in match barrel, top quality bedded stock, high dollor optics, quality smithing, etc., then I'll get the pinned HD lug. Besides, I think it's important in the search for consistent, reliable precision shooting, especially with magnums. And like I recommended, if you're thinking about accurizing a 700, just go ahead and spend another few bucks on a full custom, to which I know you agree. And if I get a custom it will have an integral recoil lug machined into the receiver.

The only two factory actions I would customize are the Howa and M70. Other than that, it's full custom for me.

Tyler, I completely agree that safeties are crutches and that folks depend on them too much. That said, I have a Timney three position on my 6.5 WSM and will be putting another on my 6-284. The OP indicated a preference for a three position so that's why I'm bringing up the options.I have a Jewel on my 700 300 RUM and love it. I'm also very happy with the Timney and like the three position feature.

As for the pinned recoil lug, I figure if I'm going to invest in match barrel, top quality bedded stock, high dollor optics, quality smithing, etc., then I'll get the pinned HD lug. Besides, I think it's important in the search for consistent, reliable precision shooting, especially with magnums. And like I recommended, if you're thinking about accurizing a 700, just go ahead and spend another few bucks on a full custom, to which I know you agree. And if I get a custom it will have an integral recoil lug machined into the receiver.

The only two factory actions I would customize are the Howa and M70. Other than that, it's full custom for me.

I had forgotten the preference for a 3 position safety, my bad. I still have to advise against the Timney but that up to the OP. Isn't there a company out there that makes a replacement 3-*** Shroud?

You know I have no arguement for you on consistency & what it takes :D The caveat being, my 6-284 still wears a factory, unpinned lug & shoots in the .3's.... That was back before I understood the things I now know.... & it was a LOT easier on my wallet :cool:

I fully agree that unless the OP already has a 700 sitting there, a clone is a FAR better option.

I'd still like to see the OP run the Mod 70 just because it's something different gun)

LIKE THIS:

http://forum.snipershide.com/sniper-hide-gunsmithing/72706-winchester-pre-64-heavy-tac-build.html

Or This:

http://forum.snipershide.com/sniper...6-san-diego-kens-bad-***-p64-winny-build.html

t

...After doing a full pimping to a Rem 700 I see no reason to go buy a Remington 700 to build on when you can pick up a Stiller or go full monty on a Defiance Deviant!

That Deviant is a dern sweet action ain't it? I've got 2 Stiller's, they're sweet but they are NO Defiance.

t

That Deviant is a dern sweet action ain't it? I've got 2 Stiller's, they're sweet but they are NO Defiance.

t

Another vote for the Defiance Deviant with integral recoil lug. Of course Snowy Mountain Rifles offers a very good deal on a full custom rifle package.

If I had a 700 donor sitting around I would sell it and put the money to another action build, which is exactly what I did with my Senderos.

Thank's fellas, This is all great info. Yes I am still after a M70. I'm just looking and trying to find one worth the money. Alot of folks don't get that I could care less about the barrel or stock and are asking way to much when I figure the rest of the build. Brad

Thank's fellas, This is all great info. Yes I am still after a M70. I'm just looking and trying to find one worth the money. Alot of folks don't get that I could care less about the barrel or stock and are asking way to much when I figure the rest of the build. Brad

The best place I have found to get an old rifle for a good price is a gun show. Found an old Vanguard for $200 once. It's now bedded in Manners stock barreled with a Broughton 5C chambered in 6.5 WSM topped with a Nightforce scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts