My new lightweight rifle

highplains, A beautiful rifle, and no doubt, it's light and perhaps I missed the weight. What is the weight ready to hunt.....scoped, fully loaded, and slung? I'm always interested in "hunting weight"! memtb

The pictures show the weight of the scoped barreled action, stock is 15.5 oz, bottom Metal will add a few more ounces. I think is will weigh 6lbs 11-13 oz complete. That is with the Swarovski X5 scope.

Hi, The Weatherby Ultralight Rifle comes with the S/S Krieger barrel, in 24 inches. I never measured the depth of the flutes. Weatherby Builds (Built ) this rifle on a trimmed down 240 Wby. action. I purchased this rifle used about 10 or so years ago for $1000.00. Put that Vari X 3 on it 2.5x to 8x . A few months back I pulled that scope and put a Vari X 3 4.5X to 14X ,30mm tube , on it for this upcoming Kentucky White Tail Hunt with an outfitter. I'm Expecting to take slightly longer shots, so I adjusted the new scope to a 200 yard Zero. 3050fps Muz Vel. I will be 7.2 inches low at 300 yards, and 21.5 inches low at 400 yards. This is my Favorite Deer Rifle, 270 Win. 130 Grn Ballistic Tips at 3050 Fps 59.5 grns. of H 4831 SC in light Win Matched Cases with Win LR Primers. Seated at max COAL as per Hornady Book. Its a pleasure to carry , and it really shoots that load well.

Paradigm stock, Mausingfield SA, 24" Paradigm barrel, Triggertech Diamond. Caliber is 6mm comp match.
Am I missing something. From what the scales say you are at 6 lbs 14 ounces so you are banging up against 7 LBs for a 6MM. That doesn't really land in the lightweight category in my books. A NULA or Barret speced the same way would be a full pound lighter, or am I reading the scales wrong? Going to be a nice looking rig when it is done though..

Dean2, you are correct, the rifle scope and ammo will be pushing the 7 lb range. The Mausingfield action is not a light weight action, could have saved weight there, but I already owned the action, could have gone with a light weight scope which would have shaved another 10 oz. could have gone with lighter weight scope rings also, but I already owned these. I could have built another 6.5, 7, .30, .338, .... but I already own those too

Dean2, you are correct, the rifle scope and ammo will be pushing the 7 lb range. The Mausingfield action is not a light weight action, could have saved weight there, but I already owned the action, could have gone with a light weight scope which would have shaved another 10 oz. could have gone with lighter weight scope rings also, but I already owned these. I could have built another 6.5, 7, .30, .338, .... but I already own those too

So just out of curiosity, would yo mind saying how much you have tied up in the action, barrel and stock total, because just what you quoted for the stock price is what a Barret Field craft sells for complete and the NULAs are about $3,500 if you go that route. Reason I ask, is every time I look at building a rifle I find I can buy one already built with equal or better specs for less money. They also resell for far closer to cost than any of the custom rifles I have bought. Most true customs a guys is lucky to get back half the cost, many I bought used were only 30% of the cost to build it originally.

Custom rifles are just that. Are there cheaper options? Yes. I am familiar with the NULA rifles. I know what is available. Some people buy Dodge, some Chevy, some Mercedes. They will all get you where you want to go. There is a very robust market for used, custom firearms. The classifieds proves this fact. I wanted to try a new barrel and new stock. I personally, don't like pencil barrels. But that is just me, others have great experience with them.

Custom rifles are just that. Are there cheaper options? Yes. I am familiar with the NULA rifles. I know what is available. Some people buy Dodge, some Chevy, some Mercedes. They will all get you where you want to go. There is a very robust market for used, custom firearms. The classifieds proves this fact. I wanted to try a new barrel and new stock. I personally, don't like pencil barrels. But that is just me, others have great experience with them.

I did not mean to be critical. I have built a few customs, even though they don't make sense financially, just because I wanted what I wanted, sort of like you. Up here in Canada, the market for used Custom rifles is VERY thin to non-existant, thus my comment on how cheap used ones are. Hope the new Iron shoots great.

That's a beautiful stock! Super light, holy cow. I have had one paradigm barrel, shot like crap unless you cold bored every round. 6.5 prc chambered by a good smith. Factory ammo no good. My handloads that had single digit es, 2 moa at 100y. They gave me a new barrel, but still in the safe. I orderd 2 other barrels from them back in March, still don't have em. I hope you have better luck with them than I have!
That is a super lite stock. Sub 30 ounce carbon fiber stocks are awesome. I've seen similar problems with Paradigm barrels, and Thus Proof CF barrels are my go-to, dependable CF barrels.

My last two proofs are in their shop right now with warranty claims on them. They're slow as heck. I dropped them off almost 2 weeks ago, and they still haven't been able to look at them. How many dang bad barrels are in line ahead of me? Scary freaking thought. I've had good luck with 2x hells canyon armory benchmark carbons, 2x bartlein carbons, and 4x older proofs(2+ years old) but there have been a lot of issues with newer proofs.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.