My new gun is done. 338 Rogue pics

lovdasnow

just got her back last week, and had to share:)
Well, she's done, for the most part. painter got confused and painted the stock wrong, but i'll get that sent off to get fixed soon.

It's a 338-378 improved called a 338 Rogue. So far I've shot about 80 rounds through it to fireform brass, but have had pretty good results in the accuracy dept with very little load development. shooting around 2900-2950 with 300gr bergers(lighter load for now, so i can shoot the bergers), over 869 and retumbo. starting to lean toward retumbo, but won't know till i get more serious with load work up.

can't wait to get it all formed up, and then start working up a load.

i have shot it at 400, 600, 800, 1000 on paper, and have been shooting around 6-8" at 1000. i'm hoping that will shrink 2-3" when i get done with load workup.

I did run the numbers and shoot it out to 1825yds on monday, at a 12"x16" inch target and was amazed at how "easy" it was to hit it. just missed left the first couple shots, and got the wind dialed in, and then hit it 3 consecutive times. can't wait to finish getting this one all dialed in.

my gunsmith is Shawn Thomason from Idaho. this is 3rd custom from him, and have 2 more there right now, and have been very impressed with final results.

specs are:
TAC 338 stiller action and 20moa scope base
hart barrel 1-10" 28" #7 contour, spiral flute 1.300" at action, then follows
a #7 douglas contour to .875 at muzzle
nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 high rev turret, NPR2, zero stop
Muzzle brake from nate dagley
jewell trigger
Weatherby mag box, spring and follower
Rem LA bottom metal
Manners MCS-T3
Nightforce Scope rings
ceramic coat
US optics scope level
IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

Last edited:
That is a GREAT looking rifle. Very very nice. I usually don't like the spiral barrel but that is one done very well. Whats the weight on that beauty? May I ask why you went with that chambering? I've been thinking about a 338-378 improved too.

thanks guys. it's a shade under 16lbs.

i went with the 338-378 improved because i got 260 pieces of free brass.

if i didn't have any brass i probably would have done a 338 lapua improved.

The gun looks great. I wasn't aware anyone was doing spiral fluting on barrels due to ER Shaw's patent on it. Was there anything special you had to do to get it spiral fluted like pay any royalties to ER Shaw?

Very nice rig, Ive been shooting a 338-416 Rigby imp, jamison brass, 300 SMKs, lilja 30 inch barrel, nesika M action and getting 3100 fps, I would say yours would be very close to this in performance. Would be very interested how she goes when you stretch her legs.

no, it just cost a little more. i've seen spiral fluting around on more barrels then just er shaw?? not sure what the deal is?

how could a company patent something like spiral fluting? that doesn't seem very patentable?

ya, i want to see what she'll do, but holding her back because of the berger issue... hope that's resolved soon.

YouTube - 1220yd Load Development/Practice - Long Range Shooting

my buddy does the filming/editing thing, and he sent me this last night.

here is the link to the first couple shots taken at 1220 with non fireformed brass yesterday. i'm still in load development stage, but it's already showing a lot of potential.

video quality is tough. but there is a v shaped rock, with a little chunk of snow on it that i was aiming at.

i have a NP-R1 reticle on my nightforce, and at 1220yds the spot was just taller then the thinckness of my reticle, and about 1/2moa wide. so that puts it at about 3" tall and 6" wide.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.