My new gun from APS aka Kirby

5Redman8

Here are some pics of the gun Kirby built for me. Just got it today and "semi-mounted" the scope....nothing permanent yet.

Stats:
APS Rem 700 BDL
Trued and tuned
Pillar/Glass bedded
Trigger tuned
HS Precision Tactical Stock in Green/Tan Camo
26.5" 3 Groove Lilja....Sendero Contour
280AI

Accs:
Ken Farrell Non-taper base
Badger 30mm Rings
NF NXS 5.5-22x56mm
Harris BR Bi-pod
Starlight case

I will fireform tomorrow as well as perform the barrel break-in. Then the real fun will begin. This is my first precision rifle with full intentions of practicing out to 1000yds and hopefully take game out to 800yds.

262135.jpg

262137.jpg

262138.jpg

262139.jpg

262140.jpg

262141.jpg

Sweet. That should be a nice setup. When I get around to having a custom gun made it is going to be a .280 AI. I have it all planned out, just have to buy a 4 wheeler and a motorcycle first.(It'll take years.) Be sure to shoot your best while fire forming. I hear that many .280 AI owners get remarkable groups even at this stage of shooting. It will also be handy to know where you are with this ammo in case you do need to shoot preformed rounds for a hunt.

Why did you decide on the 26.5" bbl length?

Do you have a bullet in mind for this gun?

More pictures. I like pictures.

4ked....I chose 26.5 because I had a Sendero in 25-06 and liked the weight and length. Just decided to add a 1/2"

As far as bullets, i plan on using the 140gr or 160gr Accubonds. Alos have an order in with Wildcat bullets for some 150 gr rebated boattails.

Later,
Kyle

Good looking stick ya got there, but I would expect nothing less than the best, from Kirby.

Here is a target from today's break-in procedure.....20-25mph wind from 2-3 o'clock. Shoot 2 and clean for 20 shots and then shoot 3 and clean for 30. Took a few shots to get on target and then shot 37 in a row to them same aim point....it measures 1.740" center to center. The right hole was a called flier.

Last five shots were in a row after a scope adj.....they measure 0.471"

All ammo was virgin Norma brass and powder was throen on an old RCBS manual dispencer. I measured several load and they varied +/- .3gr.

262470.jpg

Did kirby do the paint job on your scope and pod or was that something you did or had from befor? Also you didn't show pics of the bedding job?

what a shooter, hows the recoils? Isn't it great to have such toys.

Have fun with it,
Ben

Shadow, the "paint" on the scope is actual a shrink wrap camo from Cabelas. The stuff is really cool to work with. I think it is called "Snakeskin Camo"

The pod I did myself.

Recoil is not bad at all. You cannot stay on target at 100 above 11X but the fely recoil is not bad.

I love the way it is shooting these loads that were simply thrown together for fireforming.

Pics of the bedding....will do soon. I took it out to take a peak but did not think about pics.

Later,
Kyle

Redman,
if yours was one of the ones that had the bolt sleeved would ya take a pic of the bolt as well? Kirby was trying to explain it to me and I was wondering what it would look like.

Thanks,
Ben

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.