my new 7mmx300win

Thanks Rocco! I been meaning to talk to you about yours. I had an interesting test with Reloader 33 today...

i'm not going to claim the velocity that I have in shooter to get it to match this drop but if some of yall can just double check it with other programs that would be awesome

here is a video of my buddy marc shooting one of my 150gr NBT loads at 800, you can see the large target at the top of the screen, the metal plate pictured above hangs in the top left corner of the larger target.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is your scope height ,are you shooting the 150nbt and what is the adjustment with a 200yd zero to be on at 800.
I'll run some numbers on my program.

I calculated 3270 fps! That's awesome for the 180 s. That's more than a 300 win usually sends 180s down range!

With a sight height of 1.9 because Bulletflight won't let me input 1.85 I get 3250 so that 3270 should be real close. This is what happens when you run a .284 180gr vld out of a 300win case! A thing of beauty!

With a sight height of 1.9 because Bulletflight won't let me input 1.85 I get 3250 so that 3270 should be real close. This is what happens when you run a .284 180gr vld out of a 300win case! A thing of beauty!

Indeed, this type of 7-300 performance is exactly why I decided to do my own variation of same (Valkyrie). Can't wait to get my barrel from CBI. Already been waiting 10 weeks or so.

I calculated 3270 fps! That's awesome for the 180 s. That's more than a 300 win usually sends 180s down range!

I am running 3250 fps in shooter. Thought maybe yesterday was a fluke so this evening I loaded up 5 more at 82gr dialed the scope back up 12 moa. The light was fading pretty quick so I kinda hurried my shots. Like I shot all 5 in about 2 minutes. Wasn't really shooting for group as much as I was shooting just for vertical stringing at 800 yards to check the SD of this load. Here was the result.

Looks like 3250 works pretty good. Time to shoot a few groups to see if fine tuning is necessary but it looks like your very close to being done with load testing. That's a great feeling! Nice shooting!

Looks like 3250 works pretty good. Time to shoot a few groups to see if fine tuning is necessary but it looks like your very close to being done with load testing. That's a great feeling! Nice shooting!

yes sir, I am sure that today the rifle and load out performed the shooter. I hurried the shots for sure so I will shoot this group again when I can take my time. Next I will test it at 1000y

Nice shooting! Very little vertical in that load. Looks like you already have it dialed in.
I look froward to seeing the 1000 yd groups.
Talk to you tomorrow.

.... Wasn't really shooting for group as much as I was shooting just for vertical stringing at 800 yards to check the SD of this load. Here was the result.

SD = Standard Deviation or Sectional Density? ;-)

(i know, the former is the correct answer...)

Nice work on the bench (both firing and reloading). I'm praying for business increase so I can get my build going!

Indeed, this type of 7-300 performance is exactly why I decided to do my own variation of same (Valkyrie). Can't wait to get my barrel from CBI. Already been waiting 10 weeks or so.

Would you share what parameters on your "Valkyrie" are different from the "standard" 7mm-300 Win Mag wildcat?

This wildcat (the 'standard' 7mm-300WinMag), imho, strikes the perfect balance for increased performance btw the 7mmRM (to me the beginning of serious "7mm Elk Medicine") and the much larger 7mmSTW/7mm Dakota/7mm RUM variants.

To me, a 180gr from a 7mm @ ~3,200FPS (though I'm not interested velocity in more than that due to the offsetting "expense" of barrel cooking) would really solidify my confidence on 500-700yd medium/large sized "on-game" shots for this bore size. If bullet impact performance - in particular wgt retention/appropriate expansion - remains consistently high, this would adjust my timeline for a "bigger hammer" by quite a bit given where I currently hunt.

Exciting stuff!

Alright guys please forgive my newbness here and I don't mean to thread high jack, but the 7mmRM is based on the 375H&H as a parent case and so is the 300WM. So, isn't a 7mmRM the same as a 7mmx300WM? Is there a steeper shoulder or more/less taper on the case? I agree with major that those published FPS fills a nice niche but where does that extra velocity to edge out the 7mmRM come from? I see why the OP built his rifle on this round bc I am now really interested in it as well. Thanks guys.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.