My new 6 creed build w/ load development

@Creedmoor shooter & @Jud96 - how did you choose the powder charge range to do the first step in load development?

What seating depth did you use to do the powder charge test?
I believe we started at -.020 off the lands for the powder charge testing.

As @Creedmoor shooter said, he had previously tested RL23 in his last 6 Creed barrel so we had a place to start. If I was doing load development with zero experience with the cartridge, powder, bullet combo then I have a couple methods I use to find a starting load and "max" load to work up to for the powder testing. The first one is old school, use a few trusted sources, such as published load data, and find what they show for a max charge. Often times there's a discrepancy in the data between multiple sources, so I just find the average max load between the 2-3 sources then add 1.0gr to it. That's the max charge I'll work up to. From there, I'll load down from that max load for 12 powder charges in 0.2-0.3gr increments, depending on case capacity. This gives you a 2.2gr or 3.3gr window to test. The other method is exactly the same, except I use Gordon's Reloading Tool to find my max load by inputting my actual case volume, COAL, barrel length, powder, bullet, etc. Gordon's takes out the guess work and gets you really close. I still start low and work up because it's never 100% accurate in every situation.

Sorry for the long winded response. I hope that helps and answers some questions. Thanks!

Having both is where it's at LOL ;) You part of the MMPRL up there?
I do have both. But my 6.5 creed is my hunting rifle. 6.5 creed is my favorite generic whitetail/black bear cartridge. I do really love both, but I prefer to shoot the 6.

I am apart of the MMPRL. Shooting the qualifier at FOD this Saturday

I do have both. But my 6.5 creed is my hunting rifle. 6.5 creed is my favorite generic whitetail/black bear cartridge. I do really love both, but I prefer to shoot the 6.

I am apart of the MMPRL. Shooting the qualifier at FOD this Saturday

Should be as easy as popping another barrel on that rifle as I believe they take shouldered prefits. Gives an option of two cartridges for matches. The 6.5 will do well in matches too. I was one of the first to start shooting it back in 2008 when it came out when I shot for Hornady and still do depending on my mood. Not as much factory ammo as there used to be though.

The MMRPL is pretty cool for the New England shooters. I used to live in CT but left before the MMPRL took off but still have a bunch of buddies shooting up there. So you can thank me for leaving and it taking off as it seems where I go there is either good changes when I leave or bad when I show up. LOL I moved to NC and the place 30 minutes from my house stopped doing matches. LOL

Tag for a near future 6 creed build as I have a bunch of R23 and 108 elite hunters to shoot....
I'm not currently using rl-23, but here's a ladder I ran with it a couple years ago with the 110 sierra
20201031_105024.jpg

I have both 6mm & 6.5 Creedmoors. My moderate size stash of small rifle primers got me into the Creedmoors. I use cheap one fired Federal 6.5 CM brass with small primers for both - extensive case prep. Real happy with both but wish I could get more extruded powder of the 4350 type in the 6mm CM for use with 87 Vmax bullets. I have had some ignition problems with ball powders in the 6mm CM using CCI 41 & CCI 450 primers in cool temps. Warm days & Rem 7 1/2's might fix the problem.

The 6.5 CM is used with 123 & 130 H ELD and 140 Barnes March Burner Bullets. AA 4350 for 140's. StaBall65 & RS Hunter for 123's & 130"s. Hopefully the Rem 7 1/2's will work with the ball powders. Real good results with large rifle primers & ball powders. 6.5 CM photo , my 6.5-06 is only a little more.

IMG_1706.JPG

Last edited: