My New 338 RUM

Apex Custom Rifles

Official LRH Sponsor
I just finished building this and took it out for the first time today. I did take a video which technically isn't a photo, but I did take it with my camera! I'll try and get some real photos up of the rifle tomorrow.

It is a 1917 enfield with a Krieger 10 twist #7 @ 28". Timney trigger and an old Fajen Rienhart stock. Been building this for the past 6 months on and off. I still need to finish polishing the bolt and a few finishing touches, but it's pretty much there. Didn't kick near as bad as I thought it would with the 250 Hornady's and a stiff load.

I shot it at 100 today just to get a couple down the barrel and check brass.

[ame=http://youtu.be/ijxfEoDHBdE]338 RUM First couple shots! - YouTube[/ame]

It's pretty cool you can do that yourself. What's your thought on the thumbhole now that you've shot it? Pretty fair wind you're having today, is that typical?

Most of the rifles i build for myself are thumbholes. i really like them unless you try carrying them without a sling. I think it helps recoil a little too. its usually windy here, but it has been extremely windy the past several days.

Here's the photos as promised. Still need to do a few finishing touches, but it would be ready to go if needed. Sorry for the fuzzy photos.

Attachments

• DSCN1430.JPG
    DSCN1430.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0171.JPG
    IMG_0171.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0170.JPG
    IMG_0170.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0169.JPG
    IMG_0169.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0168.JPG
    IMG_0168.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCN1431.JPG
    DSCN1431.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 103
A few more, The caps are pewter that were poured into place. Was a pain to do, but I think they turned out nice. If you are interested, I have videos on my youtube channel when I did the work on this stock.

Attachments

• IMG_0172.JPG
    IMG_0172.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0173.JPG
    IMG_0173.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0174.JPG
    IMG_0174.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0175.JPG
    IMG_0175.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0176.JPG
    IMG_0176.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 95
please tell me your going to keep it cock on closing ?
I had a Winchester m1917 in 300 win mag I fell in love with the cock on closing

Nope, Cock-on-close! I do the conversion to all of mine. Decreases lock time a lot. I calculated it out one time and it was something like 60-70% decrease.

I do have one prone "Rat Rifle" I built out of recycled parts that is a COO in .308W. I'm still working on that one, but it's almost done too.

On a side note.... I'm thinking about knocking the finish down to a satin/matte finish to match the metalwork. I think it looks really nice as is, but something just isn't working for me for some reason. Would most likely leave the caps polished unless it looks odd.

What a beautiful rifle! Please direct me to your video of how you installed the pewter forend and grip cap. Thank you!

Hey,
Thanks for the complements. Sorry for not getting back to you earlier. I guess I don't really have a video that actually showed me doing this work, but I have a video explaining it while I was working on this stock, also if you follow the link towards the end of the video, you can see me repairing some bad spots in the stock. If I have time, I'll make a video showing the actual work.

[ame="http://youtu.be/GYH17sdWjpk"]Pewter Casting a Rifle Stock, Custom Gunsmithing - YouTube[/ame]

A video showing the actual work, or a reference to a "how to" instruction, would be greatly appreciated.

How durable is the pewter? Does is scratch easily?

Thank you!

Roy

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.