My new 300 WSM

I have my 23" XM action shooting 205 Berger's and h4350 at 2925 fps and it's shooting very very well. It's a very compact and easily shootable rifle and there is not much in North America I wouldn't use it on.
I agree. Pretty much identical to my setup. I'm just using a super mild load cause it one holes every time I take it out. At my 600 yd plate it'll shoot stupid small groups consistently. Still enough energy at 800-900 for me to take an elk. I'm finishing up another wsm for myself in a week or so and will be trying the 208 and 215 Berger's in it. This barrel will be a 9.0 tw.

I agree. Pretty much identical to my setup. I'm just using a super mild load cause it one holes every time I take it out. At my 600 yd plate it'll shoot stupid small groups consistently. Still enough energy at 800-900 for me to take an elk. I'm finishing up another wsm for myself in a week or so and will be trying the 208 and 215 Berger's in it. This barrel will be a 9.0 tw.
Yep, I have no trouble leaning on a rifle load if that is what the rifle likes but won't push a rifle just for speed. I too want it to shoot small and keep my brass and barrel life happy.

When talking about long range hunting lots of people push speed and to each their own but I figure that if I'm already dialing, then adding an extra click or 4 is a non issue.

At 1000 yds with my load that's a 7.0 mil correction (100yd zero) and still doing 1770 fps and has 1400 ft lbs of energy so like yourself there not much to fear even there.

Last edited:
Yep, I have no trouble leaning on a rifle load if that is what the rifle likes but won't push a rifle just for speed. I too want it to shoot small and keep my brass and barrel life happy.

When talking about long range hunting lots of people push speed and to each their own but I figure that if I'm already dialing, then adding an extra click or 4 is a non issue.

At 1000 yds with my load that's a 7.0 mil correction (100yd zero) and still doing 1770 fps and has 1400 ft lbs of energy so like yourself there not much to fear even there.
I wonder what vhit 555 would do with that 205 or 208 bullet?

I like hearing you are trying a 9t for 215's. I have a 26" 300WM 10t now that i want to change out for a shorter 20" 9t. My suppressor is a Banish 30 Gold that will be used and that is an 8.2" can. I have about a 1k 215 pills.
What I can't decide is… Is it worth rebarrelling by Christensen or sell the rifle and start from scratch…. If I just rebarrel, the easy button is stay 300wm but in that short of barrel, isn't the 300wsm more practical? I just can't decide.
The rifle started as a Christensen ELR 300WM. I have taken the Christensen stock/bottom metal off and replaced with an AG Stock and HS Precision mag fed bottom metal. I think the mag max COAL is 3.7".

I'd appreciate some input if you have the time. If I go down the road of selling the rifle and starting over. I would like to work with you on a build.

I like hearing you are trying a 9t for 215's. I have a 26" 300WM 10t now that i want to change out for a shorter 20" 9t. My suppressor is a Banish 30 Gold that will be used and that is an 8.2" can. I have about a 1k 215 pills.
What I can't decide is… Is it worth rebarrelling by Christensen or sell the rifle and start from scratch…. If I just rebarrel, the easy button is stay 300wm but in that short of barrel, isn't the 300wsm more practical? I just can't decide.
The rifle started as a Christensen ELR 300WM. I have taken the Christensen stock/bottom metal off and replaced with an AG Stock and HS Precision mag fed bottom metal. I think the mag max COAL is 3.7".

I'd appreciate some input if you have the time. If I go down the road of selling the rifle and starting over. I would like to work with you on a build.
Theres not much difference ballistically between a 205 berger and a 215 in the 300 wsm to be honest. Especially out to the distances Ill use it. The difference on paper isn't really something someone would notice. The 215 has a little more energy. Im more or less just trying it to see what the results are for customers that want to use that combo. I know my reamer will work with the 190 vld through 220 lrht. Im gonna be trying a combo with the 215 right off the bat that a customer who's a world champ told me to try. ES of 12 fps for 30 shots with this combo.

Ill have a 300 wsm instock and ready to ship next week sometime. Defiance ANTIX XM on manners lrh with 4 round detachable mag. 23.5" 10 tw. I have 205 bergers, brass and dies set aside for it as well.

@rpierce, what neck tension are you running with the 205's. Nice stick by the way!
.002 neck tension is what I settled on. When I initially found this load I was using .003 and it shot really good. I decided to try a couple rounds with .002 neck tension and it shot even better.