My new .30 Wolf...

STL_Shooter

As I promised, here are a few preliminary results from my first experiences with the 30 Wolf built for me by S1.

I'll tell you it looks nice under the Christmas tree, and even better sitting in the tall grass!

Here's a link to some photographs...

http://www.pbase.com/eos3/long_range_rifles

More importantly, note the target pic. After testing several loads of RL25/178 AMax, S1 pulled the trigger three times and that's the resulting group at 100 yards with just a slight tailwind.
shocked.gif
Ima thinkin' that looks like about .150 center to center...

If you all are interested, I'll keep you informed as I work up loads for heavier projectiles at greater distances. At any rate, I'm happy to report that this looks like one heck of a rifle...

[ 12-29-2002: Message edited by: STL_Shooter ]

Charles

I loaned STL Shooter a set off one of the 300 WSM STONERS so he could go and test, because the rings he purchased (black) were too low for the barrel profile. I do complete rifles including scopes, data tapes, rings, actions, barrels, everything camoflaged.

Perhaps if you guys prod STL Shooter a little he will post some pics of complete rifles all camoed up that I build. I am web challenged, and have no idea how you guys get pictures to show up, but I think its cool when you do it, and I really enjoy looking at the beautiful rifles everyone is building these days. Most of the stuff I build is completely camoed, but every once in a while someone likes that polished stainless and black look. I like them any ol way if they shoot the way they are supposed to. 1/3 MOA guaranteed.
wink.gif

[ 12-29-2002: Message edited by: S1 ]

Would also enjoy some more pics!
What bipod is on that unit,sorta looks like a Harris...But a lttle different & better.
Also 1/3moa is a hell of a guarante,does a guy dare ask the cost?In the market for another long rang unit just aint figured out wich one yet=CJ

Mach V

The Nesika actions, the Lilja barrels and the bullets are so good, that when you put them on a stiff composite stock, they all shoot good. Why you would have to screw something up to make them not shoot! The way I machine stuff and do set ups is different than most gunsmiths, and it makes a difference, but the 4 B's of accuracy still apply: Bullets, Bedding, Barrels, and Brass prep.
smile.gif

S1,
I was wondering who made the reamer for you, and is it a proprietary one or can anyone buy it. The local Accuracy gun shop I go to bought a 338 imp reamer with a tighter neck. I forgot what shoulder angle they went with, but I wonder if your design holds more powder and is more better(better velocity, case life, and accuracy) I got a Nesika Bay M action for 338 Lapua on order, so Im trying to figure what Lapua imp to use. Whats your waiting period for a rifle? Thank you for the info.

I broke the barrel in with the "1 shot and clean" method until copper came out with 2 patches of Sweets. You'll be interested to know that with that Lilja barrel, I only had to go through that torture for 5 firings! Then, I shot 3 and cleaned, I think twice.

Now, it takes about 2 patches of Butch's, a few passes with the brush and two patches of Sweets to clean it. It's a thing of beauty...

OK Guys,

Some new pics are posted, one showing another of my rifles while out deer hunting this fall, others showing the Wolf alongside some of my other objects of interest.

cool.gif

Ronin Rifles

The reamer was one of 5 different designs that we tested on 5 different barrel manufacturers, (Krieger, Black Star, Shilen, Lilja, and Hart). The Lilja 3 groove performed the best, both from an accuracy and velocity/pressure ratio, and the black star the worst.

Dan Green made the first three versions of the reamers, (Forgreens Tool), and when he shut down I had several other guys do regrinds, for small mods in taper and throat length.

I usually get stuff finished and tested in under six weeks from having all of the components in house. I do not start work on a project until I have all the components in house.

I would recommend the 30 Wolf for a man portable system, to produce shots from 0 to 1,800 yds. on soft targets. The .338's don't shoot as flat as the 30 Wolf at equal barrel lengths and weights. If you are going to shoot past 2,000 and truck the rifle around shooting off a turret or tri-pod the .338's ballistics with really long barrels are superior.
smile.gif

Brent, the stock we used is the HS Precision Pro Series adjustable tactical stock. S1 believes that the HS design is superior to others because of it's stiffness due to the full-length aluminum block.

Mach V, the bipod is a stock Harris. The word on our range is that 1/3 MOA is no problem for an S1 rifle. With regard to cost, it depends on the components you choose. S1 charged me a little over $1100 for the major machine work, the custom anti-torque brake, bedding the action to stock, the action to the scope base, and the myriad small adjustments that must be made to get the thing in shape.

Ronin Rifles, my rifle was finished within three weeks after we received all the components. Of course, your mileage may vary, but he is very attentive to doing what he says he will do...

Kinda of an unusal brake but,looks cool. What size is the muzzlebrake and dia of the barrel? How much does the rig weight?

S1 how does the wolf compare to the 300 tommyhawk?

[ 12-29-2002: Message edited by: texas ]

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.