my new .260AI custom

308 nate

I thought I would share some pix and the make up of the rifle.
I finished the rifle about a month ago, but had wanted to get more load data and some groups before I posted.
but have only had a chance to group while Ackley forming.
(All work done by me.)

Heres the make up of the rife:
Savage 16 action acurized
Broughton 5C 25" barrel
McMillan A5 stock (50 tan,30 OD green and 20 black)
Ken farrel 20 min. base bedded to the action and the action pillar bedded in the stock.With a competition recoil lug.

I had a chance to take it to a dog town two weeks ago and it did extremely well but I only had about an hour to shoot as my main purpose for going back to the ranch was to help with the ranch's branding, we branded (the old fashioned way) 500 calves that day so I was a little tired and sore by that evening but I just had to go shoot some dogs

Here is a couple pictures of the rifle

Here is a pic. of a five shot group at 300yds while fire forming Remington .260 brass

Here is the load make up:
140 gr. SMK
39.5 gr of big game powder by Ramshot all loads were dumped out of a powder dispenser. I did not weigh individual loads.
210 FGM primers
cronied at 2770 fps.

here is the load I came up with after I fire formed. I don't have any pictures of groups yet.

46.6gr. of reloader 22
everything else the same as above except ackley'd cases.
I cronied four shots at 2921 with the extreme spread of
5 fps. and don't ask me how that happened with Remington brass.

I also had some .308 Lapua brass which I made a die and sized down to .260 and then AI it. The neck ends up a little shorter witha case length being exactly 2".
I will probably be turning the necks on these because after fire forming without running through the neck collet die it will hold a bullet slightly. The gun has not shot anything over 1/2" at 100yds. and all groups were shot off the bipod with a rear bag. I modified the magazine to feed the Ackleys and it feeds them pretty well..for an Ackley.
I also still have the acu trigger in it,set at 2 lbs which is heavier than I'd like. I will be posting more loads as I just got some VihtaVuori N560 powder.

I guess I have to brag up Broughton barrels on this job.
The velocities are much higher than I had expected and the pressures are mild to medium with these loads in my gun, again I always recommend starting lower and working up to any loads posted.
well I guess this is enough for now and I hope you enjoy the pix as I sure love seeing pix and performance of your rifles.
308nate

The bullet hole through the rule is a nice touch! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Seriously though, a very fine set up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

A week ago Saturday I shot my first ever "F" class match
with my .260AI and man was it ever fun!! I shot off a bi-pod
at 800,900 & 1,000 yds.
15 shots at each range.And to my surprise when we got all done I was in first place! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

at 800 yds. I shot a 148.04 (nervous)
at 900 yds. I shot a 149.09 (calm and everything just clicked)
at 1,000 yds. I shot a 144.03 (wind changed directions 4 times minimum)
all in all I had an awesome time and am looking forward to this September when I will be competing at a two day "F" class shoot here in Bismarck,ND. 100 rounds total all at 1,000 yds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here is the load I used for the match:
.308 Lapua brass necked down and fire formed to .260 AI.
139 gr. Lapua bullet .002 into the lans
210FGM primer
VVN560 46grs.
cronied at 3931 FPS. with E.S of 6.4FPS.
man do I like the Broughton 5C barrels!!
well, I just had to share my excitement.
308nate

Hey Nate

Good shooting but one thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A 139 46gr N560 cronied at 3961fps ????????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Man i am gonna have a 30" Broughton barrel Am i gonna push 4200 with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just kidding know it is a typo.

Sweet rig.

Very nice and congrats on the match.
Just one comment:
If you value your barrel, <font color="red"> STAY AWAY </font> from the 5 series VV powders! <font color="blue"> **** hottest flame temperatures known to man. </font> I learned the hard way and used N550 in my .22 BJB wildcat for 950 rounds of barrel life when I should have gotten 2000 rounds from it! It even had a 3 groove barrel! Since my misfortune, I have been conversing with many other long range fans about this problem and have gotten the same response nearly every time. 1 series good, 5 series bad./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Thanks for the kind words all.

Goodgrouper,
thanks for the heads up on the vv5 series powder!!
but man I didn't want to hear that.Anybody got any suggestions on some good powder for the 140gr. 6.5's?
I've used reloader 22 but was reading of their inconsistancies from lot to lot and temp. sensitivity

now what am I going to do with the other 1-1/2 lbs of vv560?

I was also going to mention that the b.c of the Lapua 139's and my crony must be right on for my altitude and conditions as my drop chart from sierra's ballistics program was dead on at 800,900 and 1,000 yds.

well, looks like I'm back to load developement.
308nate

Rl22 does vary GREATLY from lot to lot but is still one of my most favorite powders. Just buy a 5lb jug and live happily ever after. H4831sc would also be something to look at.
Temp sensitivity is a concern if you vary the temp by 40 degrees or less. You will have to have a summer load and a winter load but that goes for <font color="red"> ANY </font> powder. I don't care about marketing, all I care about is what the facts are. The fact is that "extreme" powders can have all the deterrent coatings they want on paper, but paper and reality are two different things. I use the so called "extreme" powders, ball powders, single and double and even triple based powders, and I will argue with anyone that they are <font color="red"> ALL </font> affected by a ambient air temps to some degree.
Bottom line, keep track of weather during chrono sessions and stay on top of your load by frequent chronographing throughout the year. That is the only way to truly know what is going on. Marketing will get you so far, hands on testing will get you farther.
In any case, I have no doubt that you will find another suitable combo of powder and weight.

308Nate,

What is the OAL of your cartridge using the 139 Lapua or SMK?

Is your Savage a short or long action?

Are you running a max load or did you back off to get the accuracy you wanted?

Tacshot,
The OAL of the .260 AI with bullets .002 into the lans are:
139 gr. Lapua 2.827
140 gr. SMK 2.770
142 gr. SMK 2.849
123 gr. Lapua 2.836

Savage 16 short action.

This has truly been a pleasure loading for as I haven't found a load that shoots bad. Everything shoots at under 1/2" at 100yds. most shooting 1/4"

with the vv560 powder I started at 45 grs. and worked up in 2/10 gr, increments. At 45.8 gr. E.S was in the 20's when I bumped it up to 46 gr. E.S moved in to the single digits.No excessive pressure signs on primer or base of case.
I would not have hesitated to go up another 2/10 but I was very happy with what I had.
I did a quick 3 shot group at a 700 yd target and they fell into 2-1/2" the gun flat shoots. I'm the ony limitation on it's performance.
hope this answers some of your questions,
308nate

goodgrouper,
I'll give the reloader 22 a try again. according to my notes, I was at 47 grs. with the 140 SMK with 2921 FPS and E.S of 7.5 fps. accuracy was awesome but I guess I just had to keep looking cuz that's half the fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
sounds like you know your powder! If this saves my barrel throat a bunch,I'll owe ya one! thanks
308nate

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.