My muzzleloader buck 2016 whitetail

ShootnMathews

I went with a buddy on the last day more or less just to go with him. Never expected to see anything but this guy trotted right up in my face. 17 yard shot. He sported 8 points and a 15 1/2" spread and 5" bases. 4.5 years old

CVA Optima Pro 50 cal
TC Shockwave
100 grain pellet charge

Deer ran almost 200 yards. So far I'm not impressed with shockwave bullets at all. Think I'm going to try Barnes.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    532.8 KB · Views: 169
Thanks Encore.

It was a long ways from being a "long range" hunt but I'm not going to object to a close shot. It was actually probably harder than a long shot as I was ready for a long shot when it came trotting out of nowhere. I couldn't move to turn the scope power down and it was very hard to find the deer well enough in the scope for good placement. He was trotting at first and I'd never got a shot if he kept going. But he stopped for a few seconds and allowed me to get on him. But it's dang hard to shoot something at 17 yards on 8 power. After I watched him run off out of sight I thought maybe I had missed until I walked down and found blood and hair.

Nice buck! Did you have a good blood trail?
Thanks
There was enough blood to follow but I would not call it a good blood trail at all. Very small drops probably 8-10' apart. It probably took us at least 15 minute. Maybe 20 or more to track it down so we definitely didn't just walk to it

or go to harvester ml bullets, 300 grain and black sabot!! 3 deer this yr all doa in there tracks not one step.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.