my longest...

huntsman22

Drew a late plains CO whitetail tag this year on the ranch I work on. Kilt a shortgrass prairie buck at 849 yards. 6.5 PRC flinging 147 grainers.

IMG_6509.JPG

IMG_3240.JPG

IMG_3221.JPG

Treeslug, the neck shot was a finisher when I got closer. Sssshhh, don't tell anyone, but this wasnt the one-shot instant kill like on the movies. The wind ate my lunch, big time. Was trying for a high shoulder, but missread the wind and broke his back just in front of the hips. Had to whack him again as he was trying to crawl off when he seen me getting closer. It happens......

Treeslug, the neck shot was a finisher when I got closer. Sssshhh, don't tell anyone, but this wasnt the one-shot instant kill like on the movies. The wind ate my lunch, big time. Was trying for a high shoulder, but missread the wind and broke his back just in front of the hips. Had to whack him again as he was trying to crawl off when he seen me getting closer. It happens......
huntsman22, Happened to me. I hit a running deer on my second shot just where your shot hit. First shot missed. Inexperienced shooter. That second shot spun him around, but did not connect enough to drop him. Lead him a little and third shot got him just behind the front shoulder and dropped him. It was a cold and frosty morning and I watched as the last breath gushed out of his lungs through the bullet wound and into the cold morning air. Got him on my wall still today.

Certainly not opposed to long range killing but bragging about your high tech hunting gear then admitting that you made a very poor shot choice (you missed by about 20 inches) and believing that a Shhh makes it acceptable for www content is just fuel for the anti's. Sorry to be a big flammer but we need to make good choices!

Nice,All in a days work. I know guys that wait for the perfect shot.One has taken one cow elk in all his years. I shoot more rifle than I need,if im off a bit,still puts the big hurt on them.Inever take a shot I dont think im going to make.

Certainly not opposed to long range killing but bragging about your high tech hunting gear then admitting that you made a very poor shot choice (you missed by about 20 inches) and believing that a Shhh makes it acceptable for www content is just fuel for the anti's. Sorry to be a big flammer but we need to make good choices!
I agree with you completely, but I have to point out the irony of what you said coming from a guy that calls himself "Mostly Tailfeathers." Please laugh and do not be offended. No offense intended.

The TBAC looks awesome, wish I could snag one of their new Gen2 Ultra 9s. I'm shocked as hell you can even have a suppressor in CO. I enjoyed some time there but got back to Texas as fast as I could, left in 2005.

At this point I feel like I'd have better luck finding an Ultra 9 by driving to Cheyenne with a truck full of cash, and I'd still have to wait two years for one.

When I grow up, I want to be like tailfeathers. Perfect in every way, holier-than-thou, never miss a wind call and willing to do anything to appease anti's, including accusing folks of bragging to make myself look all superior-like...
huntsman22 After going back and reading his comment again, I must explain my post. I did not read his comment closely or completely the first time. When I read the part about missing by 20 inches, I stopped and wrote about the humor of his name being Mostly Tailfeathers and talking about missing. I guess I missed the post about missing by 20 inches so I do not fully know the content of that post. However, if you posted about a twenty-inch miss, I concur with you. You know better than anyone else the circumstances of the shot and therefore someone else's criticism is rude and unnecessary.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.