My Longest First Round Cold Bore Hit to Date

Great shot.

Hmmmm Time of flight 2.29 seconds. How long to drive and walk??

How close can you drive to that target.

Looks to me your well with the radius of a certain media fixture.:)

Thanks for the reverse pic. I now know here 1135 is. Well, at least close.

Roy, I can drive a 4 wheeler right to it. But I took a 400 Suzuki dirt bike and that rocky hillside full of cactus made the better judgement kick in. So I parked 1/2 way up and walked the last 50 yards. Those cantelope size rocks are a killer on 2 wheels. They have grown, they were smaller when I was younger.:rolleyes:

Jeff

Very very impressive shooting!! And you said "driveway slab" so I'm assuming that is where you live? Absolutely beautiful! 1500yard target set up from your driveway, that's awsome!

Very very impressive shooting!! And you said "driveway slab" so I'm assuming that is where you live? Absolutely beautiful! 1500yard target set up from your driveway, that's awsome!

It is awesome, I love Montana!! But I will soon have to move the targets. The elk have moved up in the hills for higher summer pasture. The shot didn't bother them, but when I walked up to see the target I spooked a herd of about 75 plus babies out fom over the hill. I can't be scarin the elk like that..:D

Jeff

It is awesome, I love Montana!! But I will soon have to move the targets. The elk have moved up in the hills for higher summer pasture. The shot didn't bother them, but when I walked up to see the target I spooked a herd of about 75 plus babies out fom over the hill. I can't be scarin the elk like that..:D

Jeff

Your killin me, that's just awsome... Luckily I'm young and am not tied down. Any good technical universities around there? :D

Out my door I can't even max out the range on my leupold rangefinder... I need to go west!

Jeff

Sweet...don't run 'em though:rolleyes:...you want 'em fat for the fall!

1.9 left...and the same elevation essentially as exbal with coriolis on. Doesn't seem to make sense. Maybe eaglet can chime in here...doesn't seem like LB would've put you on there.

Your new slogan could be " I shoot farther than heck, I shoot Bergers" :D

I did some playing at the range with LB the other day and I got my spin drift and Coriolis tuned perfect I feel, much shorter ranges but since it was dead calm I feel good about the data. Just a thought with LB, you can turn your stability number down and take the extra left out that your seeing, Coriolis is constant windage but spin drift seems more subject to more variables so you could tune it to be dead on. Just a thought :D Same speed and G7 .490 drag and 1.20 stability = 43.8 and 1.5 with all bells on.

I think I know where your ranch is at, my dad did some excavator work some where out there, we were looking at that area on Google Earth.

Last edited:
Coriolis is constant windage but spin drift seems more subject to more variables so you could tune it to be dead on. Just a thought :D Same speed and G7 .490 drag and 1.20 stability = 43.8 and 1.5 with all bells on.

Yes, but that 120 stability is way off from what LB calculates it at 1.93. Reminds me of a quote from the late great Jerry Clower, " We are educated beyond our intelligence" :D

Oh, no doubt one could tune it in. But I have decided I don't choose to use " All the Bells and Whistles" I may be simple, but I simply like Exbal better. I feel the Coriolis and having to carry a compass and do all the extra, paging ,tabs and wait is not worth it to me. So far it does not have my trust. Trust has to be earned, I shoot alot and it has not earned it.

What I need to be proficent on the first shot is this. A good range distance and data for a good come up. Then exbal can give me that, FAST and Simple! Then I need to read wind correctly, last but not least I simply need to know what the rifle does for SD. I know now that at 1562 yards I need 1.5 moa. I feel I can simply remember the SD. That is how I have done it in the past and I am happy with the past results.

The main thing here is I feel I am harnessing the new found accuracy of the Berger Hybrid. This I feel will help me be better and more precise on the first shot.

LB is awesome for home time figuring, computer scenario's and playing with numbers. I will probably keep using it on occassion when shooting rocks or targets to see if it can change my mind. But so far, if I was in a hunting situation and needed fast data for the big bull at 1000 yards. It would be Exbal all the way to the freezer.

Just my simple opinion.

Jeff gun)gun)

Last edited:
Yes, but that 120 stability is way off from what LB calculates it at 1.93. Reminds me of a quote from the late great Jerry Clower, " We are educated beyond our intelligence" :D

Oh, no doubt one could tune it in. But I have decided I don't choose to use " All the Bells and Whistles" I may be simple, but I simply like Exbal better. I feel the Coriolis and having to carry a compass and do all the extra, paging ,tabs and wait is not worth it to me. So far it does not have my trust. Trust has to be earned, I shoot alot and it has not earned it.

What I need to be proficent on the first shot is this. A good range distance and data for a good come up. Then exbal can give me that, FAST and Simple! Then I need to read wind correctly, last but not least I simply need to know what the rifle does for SD. I know now that at 1562 yards I need 1.5 moa. I feel I can simply remember the SD. That is how I have done it in the past and I am happy with the past results.

The main thing here is I feel I am harnessing the new found accuracy of the Berger Hybrid. This I feel will help me be better and more precise on the first shot.

LB is awesome for home time figuring, computer scenario's and playing with numbers. I will probably keep using it on occassion when shooting rocks or targets to see if it can change my mind. But so far, if I was in a hunting situation and needed fast data for the big bull at 1000 yards. It would be Exbal all the way to the freezer.

Just my simple opinion.

Jeff gun)gun)

I didn't mean to poke ya Broz, that Berger sure is consitant in your hands, how much do you figure it has gained you over the SMK?

I didn't mean to poke ya Broz, that Berger sure is consitant in your hands, how much do you figure it has gained you over the SMK?

No poke at all, it's all good ! :) Sorry if my reply sounded harsh, not intended. I simply call it as I see it.

Comparing the Hybrid to the SMK at this point is very hard to say. There is nothing wrong with the SMK for sure. The only real side by side I have done was the drift test at 800 and the Hybrid really shined. And it should as it has a higher BC. .768 to .820. But I have a proven track record of one shot kills with the SMK, twice over1100 yards. So I will feel better when I see the game fold up under the impact of a Hybrid. All testing I have seen looks positive in this respect.

Accuracy..... well I shot many groups with the SMK at .5 moa and ome less. But so far almost every group with the Hybrids have bee .5 moa or less. The place I feel the hybrids have really helped my acuracy is 1000 ~1400. That could very well be due to less affect from wind and drift. What ever it is I like it.

Jeff

I dream of being able to do that some day. Can we see a pic of your equipment?

Sure, The rifle is a .338 Lapua on a Mark V Wby SS action. Barrel is a Lilja 1 in 10, 27 1/2" #8 contour. A-5 McMillan, Near 46 moa custom milled base, NF steel rings, 8~32x56 NXS with a NPR-2. I am 1.5 moa off bottom of elevation and zeroed at 300. Rifle has 850 rounds down the tube. The 300 gr Berger Hybrids are awesome out of this rife.

Load is 91.5 gr of H-1000 in 9x fired Lapua brass (as always Work UP!!)
CCI 250
Berger 300 gr Hybrid .015" off the lands
ES in the single digets

DSC00601Medium.jpg

DSC00602Medium.jpg

I carry both a Swaro and a Leica 1200 CRF for rangefinders. They both have a place where one works better than the other. For flat ground to 1000 I prefer the Leica CRF. For in the hills or where I will be ranging past 1400 I use the Swaro. A Kestrel 2500 NV for conditions and a Dell Axim X50V with the Nightforce / Exbal programs to progress data into dial ups and wingage.

DSC02413Small.jpg

That it..:D

Jeff gun)gun)

Broz, You live in a shooter/ hunters paradise ! I have a feeling that the Elk have chosen the wrong hill to call home :) Great shooting .

I don't want to stray off topic but my dream scope was a 5.5x22x50 NF . I notice you use the bigger one . Have you ever hunted the thick timber with your NF . I would like to be able to see my targets better say from 800 to 1600 YRDS but i don't want to get a scope that I can't hunt the hardwoods either . What would you do in my case ? 5.5 or the NF that you have ?

Thanks,
BigBuck

I would like to be able to see my targets better say from 800 to 1600 YRDS but i don't want to get a scope that I can't hunt the hardwoods either . What would you do in my case ? 5.5 or the NF that you have ?

Thanks,
BigBuck

Buck, This rifle started life with a 5.5~22x50 NXS. I aquired the current 8~32 and wanted to try it. If I was to do it again I would probably stay with a 5.5~22. I hardly ever turn the scope off highest setting. The 32 x is touchy about getting a good full view through it. It does alow you to have a bigger target to precisely place your POA but I can not think of a situation where I ever felt the 5.5~22 would not be sufficient.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.