My long winded thoughts on annealing

So you need to shut that BS down.
What BS? I'm just trying to clear this up. I feel like maybe both of us are misunderstanding each other. I mean no disrespect to anyone. It's my belief Erik started making his videos with the main intent to help the shooting community. That's what I take away from it first and foremost.

And I completely agree with you that there are TONS of variables at play. I've discussed that numerous times in numerous posts and comments in this forum. It's very difficult to get ahold of each variable and eliminate each one. I personally have found by doing certain steps, and doing them a certain way, has greatly helped reduce variables though. Annealing, and annealing a verdin way, is merely one way to reduce certain variables. There are still many more at play though and if you're not taking steps with those too, no, you won't ever be able to shoot the difference. All those variables compound together. The shooter is always going to be the biggest variable, and the environment might be the next biggest.

Either way, I'm not trying to stir any pots here and I didn't mean to offend.

A ES of 12 on seating pressure versus 8-10
The engineer in my has to come out: 1) 10 is not a statiscally big enough sample.

Only here to agree with ASD's point 1) specifically regarding a stat that was mentioned in an earlier post.

An ES of 10 is immediately suspect because ES WILL approach 6x of population SD (not might, not can, not possibly, but actually will, every time). If you accept the stated positions of Brian Litz and Cal Zandt that SD of 5 FPS is exceptional, then until ES for a population approaches 30 FPS there's no real inferential value to the results.

It's all well and good that digital snipers on every forum on the internet can shoot 1SD/1ES groups, but in the real world of people who are honest with themselves to try to do the best they can, we have to be smart about our expectations.

Lies, **** lies, and statistics. 👍 :eek: 🤯

He produces Youtube content that he believes to be the best in his OPINION, and gets paid for such content based on views....(and that is me assuming how YT works...you know what they say about assuming)
You aren't wrong, that's a primary way YT content creators get paid - monetizing views of their videos and advertising. More power to him, if I could make some money telling people my thoughts I would do it too.

No one NEEDS to anneal. No one NEEDS anything fancy. Technology advances and certain advancements make certain things better or doing a certain thing better. Technology isn't for everyone, and it's definitely not required. If annealing, or any other similar type things, isn't your thing, that's fine by me.

All bottleneck brass gets annealed at the factory. It is a necessary thing. To anneal again on reloads is up to the reloader, as well as how he/she does it.

You can find a great factory load that shoots amazing with your rifle and go out on a once in a lifetime hunt and use it to shoot a trophy at 1000 yards. No messing with fancy equipment needed there at all. You can do it with reloads that you didn't re-anneal too. I'm not here at all saying you need to do it and you also need the best and most expensive method of doing it.

I do recommend annealing, and I do recommend a certain method. That is what is discussed here, and that's really it.
Your Words
"Plus, flame annealing can be really tricky/challenging to get set up properly so that you're actually getting the brass fully annealed and to the proper hardness. Most guys fail to do that and aren't actually getting a full proper anneal and are essentially just lowering the hardness slightly. So they're basically wasting their time, sad to say."

What BS? I'm just trying to clear this up. I feel like maybe both of us are misunderstanding each other. I mean no disrespect to anyone. It's my belief Erik started making his videos with the main intent to help the shooting community. That's what I take away from it first and foremost.

And I completely agree with you that there are TONS of variables at play. I've discussed that numerous times in numerous posts and comments in this forum. It's very difficult to get ahold of each variable and eliminate each one. I personally have found by doing certain steps, and doing them a certain way, has greatly helped reduce variables though. Annealing, and annealing a verdin way, is merely one way to reduce certain variables. There are still many more at play though and if you're not taking steps with those too, no, you won't ever be able to shoot the difference. All those variables compound together. The shooter is always going to be the biggest variable, and the environment might be the next biggest.

Really................... Once again

"Plus, flame annealing can be really tricky/challenging to get set up properly so that you're actually getting the brass fully annealed and to the proper hardness. Most guys fail to do that and aren't actually getting a full proper anneal and are essentially just lowering the hardness slightly. So they're basically wasting their time, sad to say."

I guess we are just dumb rednecks wasting our time ?

Last edited:

LOL! Synthesization of information can be challenging at times. Oftentimes, it is miscontrued. You already know where I stand. 😇

Just a friendly reminder, the whiskey, beer, and wine thread is a lot more friendly and non-destructive. Cheers! 🤣

Ed

Just want to make a couple of things clear!
One can say I am an overeducated redneck geek. I love power and technology. When the VMAX came out in 1985 as the fastest production bike, I had to have one. When BMW put ABS, Electronic Suspension Control, cruise and heat on a bike, I had to have one. My first rifle was the 300WBY, at the time the most powerfull 30 cal. When the 338 LM came out, I had to have one.
I enjoy technology, craftmanship, but now I go what is the value to me. I handload for the reasons we discussed so many times.
Is the primal rights priming tool well thought out, build well? Absolutely. Is it for me? Nope! I enjoy my RCBS ram. Is the AMP anealer made well and does it do a great job annealing? Absolutely!! Will I ever buy one? Nope, I can make one, totally automatic for less than half. Will I? maybe not.
Personally, I would rather spend my money on more rifles and descent scopes. I enjoy shooting as many different ones as I can.
I like WWI and WWII rifles, post WWII military rifles, Winchester M70 CRF, New Haven or South Carolina. I like WBY and Ruger. I like Sig Pistols. Many people like Glock. I have no problem with that.
Also, I know the difference between infomercial and engineering analysis or a true comparison.
If you like the amenities of the new tools, by all means...buy them.
If, like me, you like to relax doing each step of reloading the "long" way...why not?
Like @FEENIX it is great to have the freedom to choose...

then again maybe I should not post this....what do you think?

Twisting words as if I said them....that BS.

I feel like maybe both of us are misunderstanding each other. I mean no disrespect to anyone.

Maybe.....nor do I........I'm not here to argue, but I do enjoy discussing the nuances of long range hunting/shooting!!

It's my belief Erik started making his videos with the main intent to help the shooting community. That's what I take away from it first and foremost.

Absolutely!!....this we agree on!!