My long winded thoughts on annealing

I always find these type of posts interesting! The OP tries to sell us on the latest or most expensive equipment and then justifies it by demonizing the old or commonly used equipment.
AMP annealed brass is no better than any other annealed brass. A torch is just as safe as cooking on a gas stove. An AMP annealer can cause a fire as well. Most home fires are electrical in nature. For goodness sakes a flame can be consistance for hours if you use a small bulk tank instead of a 1 lb cylinder. My Mikes reloading machine can anneal brass every bit as consistent as a AMP and is just as easy to set up. Load 50 cases in it and I can do other brass prep while it anneals them.
Yes the AMP is a beautiful machine and as a Mechanical Engineer I get it. But annealing brass does not need to cost north of $2000 with a feeder, to do a good job. I will add that with a little common sense using a torch is no more of a fire danger than a AMP machine which anneals by getting HOT!
Anyone who owns a AMP annealer I am happy for you! It is not necessary to anneal brass with good quality results.

I, like a lot of people here don't shoot enough to justify the AMP annealer. I'm satisfied it's a fine machine but I'll stay with my torch set up. I have about $14 and an hour of time. It's good enough for the girls I go with.

Why do people take a simple operation and make it complicated. Measurement overload to test everything down to the 0.00001 level trying to eliminate every possible variable that could/may/might contribute to variation in bullet impact on a target. It's just dick measuring, you've done it better than the next guy so your results are better. It's not just the OP, it's a lot of other people too. But this is just the second time I've read this post in 2 threads on the same forum. Blah,blah,blah,blah.... no offense intended. 😇

Attachments

• 4896AA0D-85A2-4B84-87CE-69411C32CACA.jpeg
    4896AA0D-85A2-4B84-87CE-69411C32CACA.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 123
I gotta say…. I was not demonizing any method of annealing nor trying to say anyone was foolish or wasting their time doing whatever method they're doing. If that was concluded by anyone, I think you read too far into it. Yes, I gave my opinions and recommendations, based on my experience. You can take that or leave it, which I know you all will.

My only main intent with this post was to offer some points regarding annealing some may not have known about, educate a bit by sharing things I've learned, and to add my personal experience as well as my recommendations based on all that. That's really it. It was not to hate on any particular method or make anyone feel bad or to over complicate anything at all. Actually, my personal experience and progression has only been in an effort to increase simplicity and overall quality.

I fully understand that MANY guys in this forum don't actually long range hunt, at least to distances such things like annealing, neck tension, seating depth, shoulder bump, temp sensitive powders, match grade primers, etc, etc come into play or really affect the results of their hunt. I, however, do, and I know there are plenty of others out there that do as well. I want my ammo to be as good and as consistent as possible. I actually do want my ammo to be benchrest/f-class quality. I don't want to question my ammo if something doesn't go right. I'm fully aware of all the factors and variables out there when hunting and I know the person is the biggest factor of all. But, if I can eliminate any doubts in my ammo, I will. I fully appreciate the confidence I have by that, and knowing all I have to do is my part in calculating the right firing solution and then properly executing the shot. It's why I am 100% ok with my ethics taking a 1000+ yard shot on an animal and knowing it'll be a quick and humane death.

Annealing is a simple step in the reloading process, and people do it for different reasons. Some only do it to prolong the life of their brass. How you do it, or why you do it, is up to you. I'm simply sharing my thoughts and experience to those that wish to read it. If it's helpful, great, if you find it somehow offensive because you feel I'm implying what you happen to be doing isn't good enough, you've mistook me.

Reading through the comments, it's obvious to me some are very happy after switching to an AMP, or just getting an AMP. Some are very happy with the method they're using with a torch, or salt bath. Some have other methods of induction annealing, like a home built version or ready-made option, and are happy there too. That's great for all.

I am a man that appreciates efficiency and not being at my reloading bench any longer than I need to. My results when I used a torch were actually great, after I perfected my process. I had it down and could get proper and consistent results. I switched to induction because I wanted to try it, plus see if I could increase my repeatability and efficiency by making it much easier to switch from one cartridge to another and get set up each time with ease. I achieved that.

Also, full disclosure: I also prep brass and load ammo as a service for my business. I do a lot of custom hunting loads for people in my area. I have a lot of the equipment I have, and use the methods I use, to ensure my efficiency is high and quality is as high or higher. It works out for both me and the customer that way. It's also a tax write-off since it's for my business, so that's one way I personally can justify cost. I understand not everyone has that situation though. I ultimately went to the AMP for the business side of things. My customer base definitely appreciates knowing their brass was prepped to the best standards possible and I have also increased my efficiency and thus profit. All that said, if I wasn't using it for a business, I'd still recommend it for the added peace of mind, knowing you're brass is getting fully annealed (no more and no less), and the added efficiency it provides. Me recommending it, however, is not saying you need it. I've yet to find anyone that got one though and wished they wouldn't have bought it snd would have just kept doing the torch method. Sometimes the simple satisfaction and increase in efficiency and knowing you're using good equipment is worth it, even if you can't see a discernible difference on target. That is highly subjective though and a matter of personal opinion and perspective.

Bottom line: take this post for what it's worth to you. Don't read too far into what I've said or recommended, and do what makes you happy and satisfied. I'm truly only offering my experience to help, and that's it. I'm not selling anything, and at the end of the day, I really don't care what you do. I hope you all had a great and blessed Thanksgiving.

I gotta say…. I was not demonizing any method of annealing nor trying to say anyone was foolish or wasting their time doing whatever method they're doing. If that was concluded by anyone, I think you read too far into it. Yes, I gave my opinions and recommendations, based on my experience. You can take that or leave it, which I know you all will.

My only main intent with this post was to offer some points regarding annealing some may not have known about, educate a bit by sharing things I've learned, and to add my personal experience as well as my recommendations based on all that. That's really it. It was not to hate on any particular method or make anyone feel bad or to over complicate anything at all. Actually, my personal experience and progression has only been in an effort to increase simplicity and overall quality.

I fully understand that MANY guys in this forum don't actually long range hunt, at least to distances such things like annealing, neck tension, seating depth, shoulder bump, temp sensitive powders, match grade primers, etc, etc come into play or really affect the results of their hunt. I, however, do, and I know there are plenty of others out there that do as well. I want my ammo to be as good and as consistent as possible. I actually do want my ammo to be benchrest/f-class quality. I don't want to question my ammo if something doesn't go right. I'm fully aware of all the factors and variables out there when hunting and I know the person is the biggest factor of all. But, if I can eliminate any doubts in my ammo, I will. I fully appreciate the confidence I have by that, and knowing all I have to do is my part in calculating the right firing solution and then properly executing the shot. It's why I am 100% ok with my ethics taking a 1000+ yard shot on an animal and knowing it'll be a quick and humane death.

Annealing is a simple step in the reloading process, and people do it for different reasons. Some only do it to prolong the life of their brass. How you do it, or why you do it, is up to you. I'm simply sharing my thoughts and experience to those that wish to read it. If it's helpful, great, if you find it somehow offensive because you feel I'm implying what you happen to be doing isn't good enough, you've mistook me.

Reading through the comments, it's obvious to me some are very happy after switching to an AMP, or just getting an AMP. Some are very happy with the method they're using with a torch, or salt bath. Some have other methods of induction annealing, like a home built version or ready-made option, and are happy there too. That's great for all.

I am a man that appreciates efficiency and not being at my reloading bench any longer than I need to. My results when I used a torch were actually great, after I perfected my process. I had it down and could get proper and consistent results. I switched to induction because I wanted to try it, plus see if I could increase my repeatability and efficiency by making it much easier to switch from one cartridge to another and get set up each time with ease. I achieved that.

Also, full disclosure: I also prep brass and load ammo as a service for my business. I do a lot of custom hunting loads for people in my area. I have a lot of the equipment I have, and use the methods I use, to ensure my efficiency is high and quality is as high or higher. It works out for both me and the customer that way. It's also a tax write-off since it's for my business, so that's one way I personally can justify cost. I understand not everyone has that situation though. I ultimately went to the AMP for the business side of things. My customer base definitely appreciates knowing their brass was prepped to the best standards possible and I have also increased my efficiency and thus profit. All that said, if I wasn't using it for a business, I'd still recommend it for the added peace of mind, knowing you're brass is getting fully annealed (no more and no less), and the added efficiency it provides. Me recommending it, however, is not saying you need it. I've yet to find anyone that got one though and wished they wouldn't have bought it snd would have just kept doing the torch method. Sometimes the simple satisfaction and increase in efficiency and knowing you're using good equipment is worth it, even if you can't see a discernible difference on target. That is highly subjective though and a matter of personal opinion and perspective.

Bottom line: take this post for what it's worth to you. Don't read too far into what I've said or recommended, and do what makes you happy and satisfied. I'm truly only offering my experience to help, and that's it. I'm not selling anything, and at the end of the day, I really don't care what you do. I hope you all had a great and blessed Thanksgiving.
As a piece of equipment for a business that would be entirely justifiable. In that case I'd use a production piece of equipment rather than a DIY annealer.

As a piece of equipment for a business that would be entirely justifiable. In that case I'd use a production piece of equipment rather than a DIY annealer.
Which is what I'm using and the main reason I upgraded from the Annie induction annealer to the AMP. It wasn't because I just had the money and thought it would give me better results than I was getting.

I fully understand that MANY guys in this forum don't actually long range hunt, at least to distances such things like annealing, neck tension, seating depth, shoulder bump, temp sensitive powders, match grade primers, etc, etc come into play or really affect the results of their hunt. I, however, do,

Really?????, I mean Really Neighbor, are you that high up on that horse? I'm gonna quote @P7M13 here
"You go Petey"

Again, you mistake me… good grief 🤦🏻‍♂️. I get the impression you'd be happier if I just left this forum. Perhaps I will if this is the majority of feedback I get. I definitely don't need to be here if this is how it is. I have no ego that needs to be stroked. I'm in no way trying to be high and mighty. Why do you seem to take such offense to my posts and comments lately? I added that particular paragraph you quoted to help explain myself since I felt I needed to after a few particular comments, not to somehow say I'm better than anyone for crying out loud. I'm not. Not at all. Are you really that insecure? Good day to you, neighbor.

Hmm well LR hunting isn't always a cheap endeavor. I won't be spending that much on annealer but that doesn't mean others won't or can't. Just like some might spend 2k-9k for a rifle. Or 1k-3k on a scope. Heck some are spending more than a buck and bullet, not the cartridge but the projectile. So $1500 for an annealer isn't out of the question.

Agreed. People spend thousands on their presses, powder dispensers, chronograph, scope, rifle, etc, etc. does it all make them a better hunter? Probably not. Is it all needed? No. Can you get by just fine with a cheaper factory rifle and cheap scope, and cheap factory ammo? Yep.

In the end, each individual needs to be an individual and do what they feel is right for them. And I implore them to do just that.

Hmm well LR hunting isn't always a cheap endeavor. I won't be spending that much on annealer but that doesn't mean others won't or can't. Just like some might spend 2k-9k for a rifle. Or 1k-3k on a scope. Heck some are spending more than a buck and bullet, not the cartridge but the projectile. So $1500 for an annealer isn't out of the question.
Agreed! No one is being forced into any of it.