My long range rig progress: 7mm SAUM

KPK

Just wanted to show the progress on my 7mm SAUM. Off to the gunsmith next week to get it put together. Right now it's just stuck together for a pic.

Specs:
Surgeon RSR
Surgeon DBM
McMillan A3 KMW molded in McCamo
Jewell Trigger
Obermeyer .284 barrel
RAD Rapid Brake

7mm1.jpg

7mm2.jpg

7mm3.jpg

Anything I should change??

looks awesome so far. i'd coat the metal but that's personal preference. looks like it's going to be a fun one!

Man I love the SS look. I know it's not as tacticool looking, but that's my preference.

Now it won't be shiny stainless like you see, but bead blasted dull.

Thanks!

Man I love the SS look. I know it's not as tacticool looking, but that's my preference.

I love the stainless look too. My 7 saum Browning will stay ss barrel and blued receiver.
Even though I have become a pretty fair hand at Duracoat, I will just tape off the barrel and spray the receiver with my current project.

Really good looking rifle. Waiting to hear how she shoots.:D

Now it won't be shiny stainless like you see, but bead blasted dull.

Thanks!
If it's just a range rifle it really doesn't matter. If the intent is a hunting rig I'd vote for cerakote in earth tones.

At a minimum I'd have it bead blasted to a really dull finish even if it's a range rifle just to avoid glare on sunny days.

Who's bolt knob have you got on there? I like it. Wouldn't want to bang my knuckles on it bare handed but it sure would have a lot of grip to it which can really make a big difference especially in wet/cold.

I agree earth tones would probably be "better", but I've always hunted with a SS 700 mountain rifle and never had a problem with anything seeing me. Also at 500 yds + (hopefully anyways) it shouldn't matter. It will be beadblasted dull for sure.

I may end up doing that after awhile, just doing it myself. I think Matching earth tones would look sweet with the stock...

The knob is a Surgeon knob. Not sure if you can get it anymore, but I got it about a year ago. It's definitly all there, lol...

I agree earth tones would probably be "better", but I've always hunted with a SS 700 mountain rifle and never had a problem with anything seeing me. Also at 500 yds + (hopefully anyways) it shouldn't matter. It will be beadblasted dull for sure.

I may end up doing that after awhile, just doing it myself. I think Matching earth tones would look sweet with the stock...

The knob is a Surgeon knob. Not sure if you can get it anymore, but I got it about a year ago. It's definitly all there, lol...
Ahh you're probably right. It's Antelope season though so I was thinking of them and those SOB's have eyes you can't believe HA! I also just naturally tend towards tactical as my first thought so I've definitely got my prejudices.

Someone had a nice, custom 300 Rum on the classifieds here a while back, super nice rifle and he'd had it finished a a great super soft bead blasted stainless finish that was as dull as can be. Might scan through and see if you can find it and if you like it ask him what grit media they blasted it with.

I've looked and can't find it, but thanks! My gunsmith has some good blast media and it makes it smooth, but dark gray, looks nice.

Can't wait to get it on to the smith!!

Would you guys go ahead with the brake? Leave it off?

I've looked and can't find it, but thanks! My gunsmith has some good blast media and it makes it smooth, but dark gray, looks nice.

Can't wait to get it on to the smith!!

Would you guys go ahead with the brake? Leave it off?
I would go ahead and get one if for no other reason than so you can see your impacts at shorter ranges; but that's just my personal preference.

If your rig shoots like it looks it'll be a good one. I've recently found an excellent load for my custon 7 SAUM. My rilfe loves the 180 Berger Hybrid, 4831sc, and BR2 primers. Keep us posted when you finally get your rifle back.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.