My latest modified AR-15 trigger

budlight

The pictures aren't that good and the white stuff is moly grease. But anyway this is my lightening job on the hammer, lighter springs, and the adjustable trigger base kit.

If you know what a stock hammer looks like I was able to remove 58 grains of mass on the top away from the pivot point. This hammer is now 344 grains. Stock triggers are like up to 8 pounds. This one is about 3 and is very crisp. The weight is no longer beating up the firing pin and I have good impact dents on the primers.

drilled two .250 holes and machined off addition mas from the top and rear. These hammers are super hard steel and I had to use carbide tipped drill bits

trigger637_zpsk4uqebku.jpg

Trigger614_zpswpqu94kg.jpg

double adjustable trigger base

trigger619_zpsf3ldye2o.jpg

That's pretty cool. I wish I had the tools, knowledge, and patience to do that. I just dropped off my AR at the smith to get it turned into a true long range hammer. If I had your expertise I would tinker more, but I'm lazy and I'm just putting in a giessele trigger :D how much quicker do you think your hammer strike is? Removing the material doesn't hinder structural integrity? Are you worried about dirt getting in there?

The trigger area doesn't get that dirty. Hammers are cheap. I just like to tinker and I have access to a vert. mill.

I have 18, 20 and 24 inch stainless barrels in Wylde, but the most accurate is my 24 match grade .233

Hey budlight, who's adjustable trigger did you use?

I did the JP Enterprises 3.5lb spring kit with the Joe Bob Outfitters grip screw trigger adjuster. Lightened from about 7.5lbs stock 2 stage to about 3.75lb single stage trigger with virtually no creep.

It's probably not as nice as a drop in trigger, but it's a lot nicer than the stock trigger for a $28 upgrade!

Were you having light primer strikes? Or did you just modify the hammer to prevent the possibility of it happening? I've been curious if lightening the hammer is mostly myth or if it really helps?

I got about 200 rounds since my trigger mod and no light primer strikes yet, but it's so common with the spring kits I won't be surprised if it does still happen to me.

Last edited:
I run a similar mod in mine with no problems after thousands of rounds. I run the light weight spring touch up the hammer. Then remove the bolt that mounts your grip, run a tap all the way through, put a set screw with loctite on it and a just till I have no over travel. Nice trigger for a couple of bucks.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.