My latest builds. 7 mag and 6.5 - 284

BrentM

I really don't know how many hours I have into these two anymore. I need to take a break but I have 3 more to go. Let me know what you think please.

SS rifle is a 7mm mag. The painted rifle is a rem/age 6.5-284

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 200
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 210
Update:

I didn't spend much time on the Rem/age. Threw together a batch of 9 loads to test the rifle to ensure all was good to go. Shot 1 cleaned for the first 4 shots to get on paper and did a little tinkering. Then I shot a 5 shot group. First round was cold bore clean bore and little left. The rest grouped up nicely. I think the rifle will be a good shooter. Attached the picture. 140 berger vld, 56.5 retumbo, 210m, nosler neck turned brass, seated to the lands.

7mm mag. Did a ladder test, so far so good. At 300 yards it liked 69.5 to 71 grains retumbo at the lands. .25" vertical and 2.5" horizontal. Wind was so so. Load development to follow this week. Fingers crossed. Shooting 168 bergers.

Attachments

• remage group.jpg
    remage group.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 179
7mm mag. Did a ladder test, so far so good. At 300 yards it liked 69.5 to 71 grains retumbo at the lands. .25" vertical and 2.5" horizontal. Wind was so so. Load development to follow this week. Fingers crossed. Shooting 168 bergers.

At what distance do you intend to engage targets/game with this rifle? the 168berger is a nice bullet and a real deer killer (I used them in my 280rem and every deer has gone bang-flop). With a 7mag though, you have sufficient case capacity to send the 180grain berger hybrids at decent velocity. The deciding factor though is distance. If you're going to be shooting at 600 and closer the 168 is the right bullet. If you intend to shoot farther, the 180 would be a better choice. JMHO

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion.

I agree, my buddy only has 168's right now and claims he has not found 180's yet. When I looked at my normal sources I couldn't find them either.

As far as targets, probably just rocks and steel at this point and if a wolf is around lead is the air. We bow hunt so it is unlikely the rifles will see much big game. That is mainly why I stuck with the 6.5's, occasional big game but mainly for winter wolf hunting.

The other rifle I am building, another 7 mag with McGowen barrel, will be used primarly for big game and as you suggest, the 180 will be the choice. The buddy I am building the rifle for is an outfitter and rifle hunter primarily. I suggested he look into the HSM or other high end custom ammo with Bergers etc. He will likely get into reloading down the road.

So my buddy takes the 7 out last night to finish up load work up. Using the ladder test results he played around with a couple charges and seating depth. He tells me it shot a decent group. 3/8th of inch he said. I was like, yeah, decent load....then he said that was at 200 yards. Ha ha, geesh. I asked him if he really thought he was going to shoot better than .15-.20 groups.

I found out the 2nd McGowen barrel shipped yesterday. This one is a 4 groove, 26", fluted, turbo brake, 8 twist. I need a stainless savage LA now. Hit me up if anyone has a line on 1.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.