My largest buck yet

scrmblr1982cj8

I shot this guy 7 minutes after dusk on Friday, 9/10. I had a great blood trail that completely stopped after about 100 yards. I searched for 3 hours that night and for about 5 hours on Saturday without any luck. On Sunday, 9/12, I saw buzzards circling on the neighbor's property. After checking with my neighbor, I hopped the fence and found him 150 yards into the woods to the west from where I shot him. The buzzards and the coyotes had worked him over pretty well, so there wasn't much to recover other than his horns. It was a bittersweet moment when I found him: grateful that I found him but unfortunate that it took me so long to find him that all meat was lost.

The taxidermist grossed him at 170.
IMG_4618.jpg

Congrats on a very nice first bow kill.
I hunt with a crossbow occasionally, had a bow a long time ago now, was never very successful on our Sambar deer, the other species we have, Fallow deer aren't anywhere near as wary as Sambar. We aren't allowed to lay out corn etc as a lure. Not saying you did.

Cheers.

Nice deer and one heck of a first bow kill . It sucks when everything don't pan out the way we've envisioned it. It happens it sucks but it happens . Bow hunting gets a bad rap because it does happen more often than with a rifle.
Not sure where exactly your located but you may be able to use tracking dogs . I know here in Wv a few years ago they passed the law that we can now . One of the guys that on our big hunting leases his wife shot a big buck last weekend and that's how they had to find it . It was an old mountain monarch should score around 160 ish also.
Remember keep your head up . You done everything you could and you now know for sure the outcome. I always hate wonder if said target made it

That'd make a fantastic European mount if a full shoulder mount is no longer possible. Congrats on the kill and finding it. Sorry about the meat though...

If you would like to get a shoulder mount check with your taxidermist. Most tanneries have unclaimed tanned hides that were never paid for and will sell them at a discount as the deposit has been paid. That really nice rack deserves a shoulder mount.