My Lapua 300 prc brass experience......

Are you certain? I do believe the Redding competition holder are sized 000, +002, +004 and so on. This measurement doesn't increase the overall height of holder, but just where the case head sits from ram face reference. This is what I was told anyway.
This is correct. The top face of the shell holders are all the same so the die will bump the top of all the shell holders the same if set that way. The base of the case moves down the indicated distance.

I believe they are thick at the bottom portion where the case sits so in return it seats the case farther up into the die if I understand their intended purpose correctly ? As a result you are bumping the shoulder by not having to readjust your die every time and even giving you more adjustments if need be to properly fit your case to your chamber.
Opposite of this. You are adding shoulder length not removing. The standard "0" shellholder set to kiss the die should be standard spec. Each step adds 0.002" to the shoulder length by moving the case down and sizing less.

My 6.5x47 & 243win we're not getting the shoulders pushed back far enough so I bought a set Redding Comp shell holders several years ago. This did not fix the problem. I couldn't push them back any further with these shell holders and ended up returning them. I had a Smith shorten my 6.5x47 die and I shaved my shell holder for the 243win.

Maybe this will help. This is a standard (silver shell holder) and a +0.006" (black shell holder)

20210730_101130.jpg
20210730_101046.jpg
20210730_101735.jpg
20210730_101216.jpg

Maybe this will help. This is a standard (silver shell holder) and a +0.006" (black shell holder)

View attachment 288025View attachment 288027View attachment 288028View attachment 288026
I fail to understand the ideology behind that product then. Instead of adjusting your die upward to increase base to shoulder dimension, you swap to a shorter height shell holder? I believed it should've gone the other way and solved a problem for short of saami chambers or a situation where the dies bottomed on the shell holder but not bumping enough. In my opinion that shell holder fixes a problem that doesn't exist.

Are you certain? I do believe the Redding competition holder are sized 000, +002, +004 and so on. This measurement doesn't increase the overall height of holder, but just where the case head sits from ram face reference. This is what I was told anyway.
Highdrum,
Yes it is confusing. I have had a set for probably 15 yrs or so. So, the way I use mine is to start with the. 010 holder, run the ram up tight, lock the die down. Size case,measure shoulder bump. If more is needed go to the. 008 holder...etc. But, here is the important part, you are still about .008 away from a stock or normal shoulder. The dimension from where the case sits in the shell holder to the top of the shell holder is what changes in .002 increments. That is the key dimension. And the top of the shell holder limits how much the case goes into the die. So your. 010 holder will bump the shoulder. 010 less than a plain factory shell holder. What you need to bump shoulders more is a thinner ground factory shell holder, or possibly a feeler gauge under the shell case between it and the holder, possibly raising the case a few thousands. Confusing to say the least. I can explain it easier over the phone if needed. Just let me know. Good luck!

Paul

Highdrum,
Yes it is confusing. I have had a set for probably 15 yrs or so. So, the way I use mine is to start with the. 010 holder, run the ram up tight, lock the die down. Size case,measure shoulder bump. If more is needed go to the. 008 holder...etc. But, here is the important part, you are still about .008 away from a stock or normal shoulder. The dimension from where the case sits in the shell holder to the top of the shell holder is what changes in .002 increments. That is the key dimension. And the top of the shell holder limits how much the case goes into the die. So your. 010 holder will bump the shoulder. 010 less than a plain factory shell holder. What you need to bump shoulders more is a thinner ground factory shell holder, or possibly a feeler gauge under the shell case between it and the holder, possibly raising the case a few thousands. Confusing to say the least. I can explain it easier over the phone if needed. Just let me know. Good luck!

Paul
No I understand completely now after seeing the measured dimensions in the prior posted photos. Thanks for your explanation as well!

Well, the Redding Comp shellholders arrived and they worked great for the 300 PRC Lapua brass that has already seen 6-7 reloads. That's all it took to get them to chamber easier. Easy and accurate way to bump the shoulder and it reduced the overall dimension at the base by .002.

Attachments

• C4A69B15-A6BA-4855-8158-4A2448DD61BF.jpeg
    C4A69B15-A6BA-4855-8158-4A2448DD61BF.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
  • 628F7293-D2BC-4706-A924-8C2AF0BFDB26.jpeg
    628F7293-D2BC-4706-A924-8C2AF0BFDB26.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 75
Last edited: