My Hunting Partner Gone but Not Forgotten

Well, last Thursday morning I woke up before dawn thinking about my dad (who died a few days before), planning the funeral in my head, and reminiscing all the good times we had in the woods.

I could hear him chastising me for not hunting on the ranch much and me telling him I was saving the deer for my kids and grandkids!

As I lay there I started thinking I could at least go sit on the stand and watch the sun come up and spend time with my thoughts alone. So I got dressed, grabbed my rifle and walked quietly to the stand. I saw several young bucks and a few doe. They all made their way back into the brush and I was about to leave when some movement caught my eye…

Dad, I know you would be happy! I shot a buck at the ranch for the first time in 15-20 years. Turned out to be the biggest ever taken at the ranch!

Oh: 7RM, ACTAR, 168 ABLR's, 200 yards - DRT
Congratulations! What a way to honor his legacy and his memory!

I think your father was looking down on you and gave you a memory that will hold tell your last breath. Congrats and sorry for your loss.
Our world of hunting offers in so many ways.....
Time heals.

Well, last Thursday morning I woke up before dawn thinking about my dad (who died a few days before), planning the funeral in my head, and reminiscing all the good times we had in the woods.

I could hear him chastising me for not hunting on the ranch much and me telling him I was saving the deer for my kids and grandkids!

As I lay there I started thinking I could at least go sit on the stand and watch the sun come up and spend time with my thoughts alone. So I got dressed, grabbed my rifle and walked quietly to the stand. I saw several young bucks and a few doe. They all made their way back into the brush and I was about to leave when some movement caught my eye…

Dad, I know you would be happy! I shot a buck at the ranch for the first time in 15-20 years. Turned out to be the biggest ever taken at the ranch!

Oh: 7RM, ACTAR, 168 ABLR's, 200 yards - DRT
Great story and thank you for sharing. The older I get the less I care about the animals and more I care about the company.

Sorry for your loss! Glad you fulfilled a wish of his. Hopefully the memories will add comfort through the upcoming years. Thank you for sharing!