My home made annealer. Thoughts?

ShootnMathews

I started working on this 7 years ago and made a post here about it and then life got in the way. So here it is again with a few changes. It's still not finished. I have to make the hopper and the single feed mechanism to drop one shell at a time on to the feed ramp but I have it all planned out. Any thoughts on it so far? I can't post a video so I'll just post a pic and the brass afterwards and if I can get it timed right a pic right before the brass drops….. Well that's as close as I could get it to the dropping point. How's the brass look?? I'm not an expert at annealing and I don't have tempalac. (Probably spelled wrong). From my research you want it to just barely start to show red which is about what this does. The brass is dirty and just fired so that's carbon on the case necks. Should I clean them first before annealing?

Attachments

• F82750E3-10CB-4B29-9363-771C585F6AF2.jpeg
    F82750E3-10CB-4B29-9363-771C585F6AF2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 422
  • AD86DF8E-A62D-49C1-8884-3F7A2AC3AD70.jpeg
    AD86DF8E-A62D-49C1-8884-3F7A2AC3AD70.jpeg
    821.1 KB · Views: 418
  • F658A10C-6D50-47A4-9580-5DD0717C2A32.jpeg
    F658A10C-6D50-47A4-9580-5DD0717C2A32.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 421
I made one from others specs on another forum years ago ago for about $100- it works great.

You'll need a feed wheel, hopper, and I have a digital timer for speed of the annealing wheel ( cake pan) and also for the feed wheel. You might need to increase the angle of your feed ramp too.

I bought a bottle of tempilac and use it to set my speeds---- different lots of brass and different brands need different speeds--- also it depends on how high you set your flame too.

I can do darn near every case except the bulted and short magnums with the same feed wheel.

How are you guys using the tempilac stuff? I got some and tried using it, but it just turns black almost instantly and then is baked on the case. Either I'm using it wrong or the stuff doesn't seem to work.

I like your machine. Seems like a good way to knock them out quickly.

How are you guys using the tempilac stuff? I got some and tried using it, but it just turns black almost instantly and then is baked on the case. Either I'm using it wrong or the stuff doesn't seem to work.

It's a big pain in the rear IMO Just look for the glow

Snipershide

Use the paint in a bottle with the brush-- not the pens.

Brush a little inside the neck-- once it's in the flame and up to temp the paint turns a dark gray -- that's when you stop heating. The paint turns to an ash like substance and brushes out easily with a bronze or nylon brush in 1 or 2 strokes. I use it on about 5 cases until I get my timing set right-- then just leave the speed and flame alone while I do that batch of cases.

Do some homework on temps-- most guys run the 700,750,800,or850 paint-- you'll have to decide what's right for you.

Some guys also use a lower temp paint near the head-- but I've never had any issues with heat migrating towards the head. Some guys drop into water- I've never used that method either. You'll have to decide what's right for you as there serm to be several thoughts on what is the right way.