My frustration with the word "custom".

• Thread starter Deleted member 115360
  • Start date
With our online instructional videos, you can assemble your own vortex razor with whatever reticle you want, whatever magnification range you want, change the eyebox, move the exit diameter up to 80mm if you'd like. Each kit comes with a sticker so that everyone will know that you are a custom optics builder.

If I buy an origin action a brux barrel a jewell trigger and a mcmillan stock and put it together in my garage is it custom I say yes but I built nothing just threaded and chambered the barrel or ordered a prefit so I guess its just opinion

I heard that from a fairly well known long-range smith. It was kinda strange.......

Hey guys, I just finished "building my custom" rifle. My custom 6mm arc with benchmark accuracy and blueprinted everything, it's custom if I forgot to say it

Attachments

• 20210122_210947.jpg
    20210122_210947.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 84
  • 20210122_210924.jpg
    20210122_210924.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 76
Hey guys, I just finished "building my custom" rifle. My custom 6mm arc with benchmark accuracy and blueprinted everything, it's custom if I forgot to say it
Sweet looking custom rifle!

I've been thinking hard about a 6 ARC build a lot the past few weeks. Considering selling my super custom built 6.5Creed AR-10 to fund it. I could get a sweet price on the creed considering how custom it is ... easily twice the component cost since it's so, you know, custom! 😂

I haven't shot this thing yet, I just finished it a few hours ago. I like the way it looks, but I'm not going to love it until I know it can group. I'm excited about the custom cartridge. I'm waiting for the flak over the skeletonized receivers

Wow! That is a strong opinion. I'd like to hear more.
It will probably get lost in this thread but its part of my living. I am sent rifles that are not competitive to diagnose accuracy problems. I have seen first hand the before and afters of fixing an action problem. Its not just in competition rifles, guys have shot out barrels in hunting rifles trying to make them shoot when they had an ignition problem holding them back from the start. Theres many other things that hold back a rifle, but actions are very important. I can see why people cant believe it, sometimes some thing so small cures a flier issue or tightens up a group that I cant even believe it. One of the reasons I always push guys to shoot paper is that you will seem a pattern. If your consistently loosing a shot out of the group or there are consistency problems you will pick up on that if you always shoot paper. You'll have a hard time seeing it if you shoot steel or rocks. Typically (not always) a problem with an action shows up in the form of a flier. Most will blow this off but its fact.

Last edited:
I consider custom, is something built specifically for you..

With that said some of us that have not got very much money like I mean regular people. We get excited that we can rattle can our stock or afford a timney trigger heck if we can afford a break to be threaded on. That is a special thing it something to talk about and it's just a bit better than your buddies rifle.

With that said I do not believe it should be marketed as custom just AFTERMARKET. The word custom just sound more up class for us to say.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.