My frustration with the word "custom".

• Thread starter Deleted member 115360
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 115360

I'd like to know if the rest of you roll your eyes at all of the "custom" guns on the auction sites, as well as the classified ads on forums like this one.

If you bought a bunch of readily available AR parts and threw them together in your basement, I might buy them, but if you call it "custom" and attempt to market it as a custom rifle, not only will I refuse to even think about buying it, but I will make assumptions about your character, your lineage, and I will assume that you beat puppies to death with bags of kittens.

I've seen instances where guys have rattle canned a stock in some poor attempt to create a camouflage pattern, and they call it "custom". Buy a $300 Bell and Carlson stock, change out two action screws, and now they think it is "custom", and it drives me nuts.. Is it just me?

I mean, technically the word would apply to any change that you made to anything. However, a "custom rifle" is a very specific type of rifle in my mind, and to quantify that..... nothing you can ever do to a ruger American will ever allow you to call it a "custom rifle".

If I buy an origin action a brux barrel a jewell trigger and a mcmillan stock and put it together in my garage is it custom I say yes but I built nothing just threaded and chambered the barrel or ordered a prefit so I guess its just opinion

If I buy an origin action a brux barrel a jewell trigger and a mcmillan stock and put it together in my garage is it custom I say yes but I built nothing just threaded and chambered the barrel or ordered a prefit so I guess its just opinion
Ok, and I agree with you, but I'm not sure why. I guess the quality level of components are in line with what I would consider a "custom" rifle. If you contacted a custom rifle builder, those are all components that could reasonably be expected to make an appearance as options in your build.

Now, if you started with a Savage axis action, I don't care what you do, you have a Savage axis.

If what you are selling is not available in a commercially sold configuration, what you have is a custom item ... but I'd say there are varrying degrees of "custom." Spray painting something does not make it custom, that sort of thing should be sold as "Daniel Defense AR-15 with custom paint job." Or if you swap a stock it should be sold as "Bergara HMR with B&C stock."

I've built many AR's from completely stripped receivers and those are absolutely custom guns and if that hurts your feelings then I'm ok with that. I also just built a new bolt gun with a Zeus action I bought separately, XLR chassis I bought and configured separately, proof CF barrel that I bought and had chambered to my specs with a wildcat cartridge, TT special trigger ... and yes that is a custom gun.

What does grind my gears? When someone buys a built lower and and built upper, slaps them together and says "look at this rifle I built!"

Last edited:
This a good one! I'm in the automotive repair/collision/restoration business and if I look at buying a classic vehicle, I don't care what the previous owner/s had done to it. I go by the actual value, take it or leave it, and not the emotional & sentimental value or what aftermarket go fast parts that were put on it to justify whatever elevated price.
I'v custom rifles that I put together for that rifle' custom purpose and if I were to sell one (rarely) it would be at current value. I sold a newly built, rifle to a friend that just had to have it, for market value, the end.

So, I've built a bunch of rifles on vanguard actions, and I have no intention of selling any of them, but if I did, my ad would look like:

"300wsm built on vanguard action, CF barrel by proof, 1-8t 24" length, B&C stock, trigger tech trigger, xxx bottom metal and ai mags, (insert price)".

I don't use the word "custom" when discussing a rifle like that. Alan Rovig builds custom rifles, I just put components together over time and play with parts so that I like the way they perform or look better.

To me there is semi-custom and full custom. Mainly it's a difference in what parts are used for the build.
I'd add "factory" and "build" to your mixture. I also agree with Rick Richard: "I know what my definition is and am satisfied with it." So, no, my eyes don't roll, but I'll never buy a used gun sight unseen except for maybe an RBros rifle or two :)
PS Cest la vie (Thanks Cajun)

Well, I'm not going to take out an ad campaign or anything, just an overused word. I'm digging listening to what that word means to other people as it relates to a rifle.
I hear you. The older I get I just try and not get worked up about things. I cant control what someone else wants to call a "custom" rifle. Obviously I wont pay a premium for something I dont recognize the value in but that doesn't mean it's not "custom" to someone else. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beer holder lol.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.