My frustration with the word "custom".

• Thread starter Deleted member 115360
  • Start date
I'd add "factory" and "build" to your mixture. I also agree with Rick Richard: "I know what my definition is and am satisfied with it." So, no, my eyes don't roll, but I'll never buy a used gun sight unseen except for maybe an RBros rifle or two :)
PS Cest la vie (Thanks Cajun)
That's a good point. When guys say they "built" a rifle. I'd say that if you didn't use a lathe in the process a few times, you didn't "build" anything.

If you can "build it" with a set of screwdrivers, then I've been an underappreciated custom furniture builder for most of my life.

That's a good point. When guys say they "built" a rifle. I'd say that if you didn't use a lathe in the process a few times, you didn't "build" anything.

If you can "build it" with a set of screwdrivers, then I've been an underappreciated custom furniture builder for most of my life.
I think "build" and "assembled" is really just a game of semantics. Are you an underappreciated custom furniture builder? No because you've bought a kit of pre-designed parts and simply assembled it in your home. Did you "build" it? I think you could argue it either way but I would say no because someone else took the time to create and design every element for you, but you certainly assembled it ... but again, semantics. It also is not custom furniture because thousands of other people have the exact same kit that they built in their home.

If BCM designed AR-15 kits and sold them at a discount due to you completing the assembly, are you the builder or the assembler? However you want to argue it it certainly isn't a custom gun. If you do the research and design your rifle with hand picked parts out of hundreds of manufacturers and thousands of parts are you a builder or assembler? Semantics ... either way it's still a custom gun in my mind.

I think "build" and "assembled" is really just a game of semantics. Are you an underappreciated custom furniture builder? No because you've bought a kit of pre-designed parts and simply assembled it in your home. Did you "build" it? I think you could argue it either way but I would say no because someone else took the time to create and design every element for you, but you certainly assembled it ... but again, semantics. It also is not custom furniture because thousands of other people have the exact same kit that they built in their home.

If BCM designed AR-15 kits and sold them at a discount due to you completing the assembly, are you the builder or the assembler? However you want to argue it it certainly isn't a custom gun. If you do the research and design your rifle with hand picked parts out of hundreds of manufacturers and thousands of parts are you a builder or assembler? Semantics ... either way it's still a custom gun in my mind.
I appreciate your point of view, but I'm going to challenge your assertion:

aero precision sells a complete rifle, now picture that rifle.

Now, they also sell every single component, so you can build that exact rifle at home. Absolutely identical in every way. Is that a custom rifle now?

What if I use a ln Aero lower and a steelbanger upper, but every other part is the aero rifle we built above, so now it's a custom rifle? So then if you replace that steelbanger upper with an aero next week, it loses it's custom status?

I'd like to know if the rest of you roll your eyes at all of the "custom" guns on the auction sites, as well as the classified ads on forums like this one.

If you bought a bunch of readily available AR parts and threw them together in your basement, I might buy them, but if you call it "custom" and attempt to market it as a custom rifle, not only will I refuse to even think about buying it, but I will make assumptions about your character, your lineage, and I will assume that you beat puppies to death with bags of kittens.

I've seen instances where guys have rattle canned a stock in some poor attempt to create a camouflage pattern, and they call it "custom". Buy a $300 Bell and Carlson stock, change out two action screws, and now they think it is "custom", and it drives me nuts.. Is it just me?
I mostly agree.

Unless a "custom" rifle was assembled by a known gunsmith or shop, there are typically going to be some question marks.

I think that's why it's so hard for guys to sell a "custom" rifle most of the time. With ARs, you're better off stripping the parts down and selling them off individually if you're trying to maximize the value. Frankenbuilds aren't worth much, even if the quality is better than a factory rifle.

I mostly agree.

Unless a "custom" rifle was assembled by a known gunsmith or shop, there are typically going to be some question marks.

I think that's why it's so hard for guys to sell a "custom" rifle most of the time. With ARs, you're better off stripping the parts down and selling them off individually if you're trying to maximize the value. Frankenbuilds aren't worth much, even if the quality is better than a factory rifle.

I think that is my definition for a custom rifle. If it isn't stamped by a known custom gunmaker, I just can't call it custom. I feel the same way about custom AR rifles too. If someone is selling a $2,000 ar rifle that they put together themselves, even if you can see the money there in the components, wouldn't you feel better buying a $2,000 complete rifle from a company with a warranty and a customer service department than a guy named "Steve"? You don't know what he screwed up and is now trying to pass off to someone else. If the component value is similar to the cost of new components, why wouldn't you just buy them new and build it yourself so you knew for certain what you had? I would

"Custom" sometimes means "I ordered all these component parts and put them together." ("I built this rifle!") like kids put together Legos; except I used a screw driver and a hammer.

Don't get me wrong, If the guy uses a good action, barrel and knows how to do a solid bedding to the stock, he may end up with a good rifle...depends on the guy and the components he uses.

Then again, there are factories that churn out rifles that vary widely in how well they shoot. And then there are other factories that produce consistently excellent rifles and have the kind of people NASA needs.

"Custom" sometimes means "I ordered all these component parts and put them together." ("I built this rifle!") like kids put together Legos; except I used a screw driver and a hammer.

Don't get me wrong, If the guy uses a good action, barrel and knows how to do a solid bedding to the stock, he may end up with a good rifle...depends on the guy and the components he uses.

Then again, there are factories that churn out rifles that vary widely in how well they shoot. And then there are other factories that produce consistently excellent rifles and have the kind of people NASA needs.
NASA just needs to go away. Elon Musk can run the alien outreach department, for about 2% of the cost. Nasa needs 50k people and 100Trillion dollars to put a rocket in space. Elon musk did it with the change he found in his couch and controlled the launch from his smartphone while driving to work one morning.

I think that is my definition for a custom rifle. If it isn't stamped by a known custom gunmaker, I just can't call it custom. I feel the same way about custom AR rifles too. If someone is selling a $2,000 ar rifle that they put together themselves, even if you can see the money there in the components, wouldn't you feel better buying a $2,000 complete rifle from a company with a warranty and a customer service department than a guy named "Steve"? You don't know what he screwed up and is now trying to pass off to someone else. If the component value is similar to the cost of new components, why wouldn't you just buy them new and build it yourself so you knew for certain what you had? I would
I agree with everything you said here.

I'd like to know if the rest of you roll your eyes at all of the "custom" guns on the auction sites, as well as the classified ads on forums like this one.

If you bought a bunch of readily available AR parts and threw them together in your basement, I might buy them, but if you call it "custom" and attempt to market it as a custom rifle, not only will I refuse to even think about buying it, but I will make assumptions about your character, your lineage, and I will assume that you beat puppies to death with bags of kittens.

I've seen instances where guys have rattle canned a stock in some poor attempt to create a camouflage pattern, and they call it "custom". Buy a $300 Bell and Carlson stock, change out two action screws, and now they think it is "custom", and it drives me nuts.. Is it just me?
If it's custom, it's either something you appreciate, want, or call it for what it is -- a "Franken-gun".
Seller: "Oh, but it's rare!" Yep....

Thread Jack ON:
I can rant all day about literature (writing), art and artists. I think I could go to NYC, take a dump on the side walk, stick a religious symbol in it, and attempt to sell it as "art." *THAT* makes me sick.
Don't even get me started on the political BS that is foisted in the name of "safety."

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.