My first racked buck

joshua99ta

I shot this fella January 2nd this year in a little 100 acre cut over of mine while he was chasing a doe. He first popped up in the brush @ 350 and he worked back in to 250 before I could get a good clean shot and I put a 165 gr. SGK (through a browning BAR 30-06)down the line. Dropped him in his tracks!

the10.jpg

the102.jpg

the103.jpg

He is @ the taxidermist now drying.... the 60 day drying period is up, so if I get a chance I'm gunna go pick up the rack and take it to the mississippi department of wildlife fisheries and parks office in Jackson, MS for a real score. The taxidermist believes he is gunna go low 140s.

for me looking @ the pics he doesnt really look that big to me... I guess me being almost 6'5" and 300lbs makes him look a little small to me

thanks fellas! I didnt expect him to be AS BIG once I get him on the ground... i've always heard of shrinkage... this fella GREW once I got to him! Which it didnt help that the only actual optics I had was my rangefinder and the ancient bushnell scope thats on the rifle. I went to grab my nikon binos and they fell apart when I got out of the truck.... I wasnt happy about that!

very nice deer i would take him anyday. So how much did he weigh. His body does not look very big so i am guessing you are in a southern state and being that you killed in January with a rifle also leads me to belive its in the south. Well anyway great deer and congrats.

yesir I shot him in Mize, Mississippi.

I didnt get an accurate weight b/c scales were broken... I wasnt aware of it but they were... I'de expect that he weighed in @ 180ish... in northwest MS its not uncommon for mature bucks to run 220ish. We don't have very much farming in my area so the food sources arent there. We do a good bit of tree farming in my area.... but that isnt what deer need. I'm trying to get some good plots going and get the neighbors in it as well. They don't believe in good deer management though.

I WISH I had all of my 1000 acres in one spot, I'de high fence it and grow my own trophies. We have to many outlaws and people who shoot ANYTHING that walks around here to have great large deer.

yesir I shot him in Mize, Mississippi.

I didnt get an accurate weight b/c scales were broken... I wasnt aware of it but they were... I'de expect that he weighed in @ 180ish... in northwest MS its not uncommon for mature bucks to run 220ish. We don't have very much farming in my area so the food sources arent there. We do a good bit of tree farming in my area.... but that isnt what deer need. I'm trying to get some good plots going and get the neighbors in it as well. They don't believe in good deer management though.

I WISH I had all of my 1000 acres in one spot, I'de high fence it and grow my own trophies. We have to many outlaws and people who shoot ANYTHING that walks around here to have great large deer.

How far are you from Laura Miss ? I worked down their when katrina hit , they had some deer their but I didn't see anything as big as yours . What I did see mounted at a local lumber yard would rate yours at the top . Nice deer anywere in my book .

Bigbuck

did you mean laurel? its a big oilfield town. its about 35 minutes from me, I went to college in Ellisville which is only about 4 miles from laurel. there were some pretty nice deer killed in that area this year, a few in the 140 range

did you mean laurel? its a big oilfield town. its about 35 minutes from me, I went to college in Ellisville which is only about 4 miles from laurel. there were some pretty nice deer killed in that area this year, a few in the 140 range

Yes Sir , It was laurel sorry about that , I bought alot of roofing supplies from Reds builers supply store , they were some great people to deal with let me say this about that town I ran a roofing buisness their and I had two crews and we put on all together around 60 roofs It was a great privilage to work for those people of laurel out of all of those house probably more than 60 I only got beat by one individual . I hold those folk very highly . Now that you say it their is a college about 1 1/2 miles from the laurel exit is that the college you went to I can't remeber the name . it had a good resteraunt just right off of the freeway . I cannot believe that I have forgotten the names of everything I was their about 7 months total.

Bigbuck

yeah man I know how it is! I worked in Slidell, Louisiana for a couple of months after katrina cleaning up debris and I can't even remember the guys name that we worked for, he was supposedly a preacher, he owed up about 14 grand, we got about 6 of it and left and never looked back... luckily most of what we did was sit around waiting for the work to start.

that college is Jones Country Junior College... boy I had some GOOD times @ that pace!

Congratulations, nice buck. Hopefully once he's back from the taxidermist you'll post a pic of the mount.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.