My first LR guns on it's way!

G

Re: My first LR guns on it\'s way!

If it were me I'd look into one of the Farrell 20moa one piece base with a pair of TPS rings for your rig, that should get you to 1000yds no problem and provide a solid mount for your scope without hurting your wallet. If you use one of the 180gr match bullets or maybe the new 175 SMK 1000-1200yds shouldn't be a problem, plenty of energy to kill a deer at those ranges. I plan on trying the same combo on my Rem 700 7mag.
JMHO,
Wayne

Ken Farrell

TPS

[ 06-18-2004: Message edited by: Wayne McD ]

My first LR guns on it\'s way!

I am throughly thrilled to be entering this new form of shooting that I've only scratched the surface of so far.

I am experenced out to 400 or 500 yards but hope to go to a 1000 and maybe beyond in the future. The gun is a Savage 112BVSS in 7mm rem mag cal. I plan on changing the stock and adding a bipod. I don't know what bases to get. I am going to top it with a Leupold VX-II 6-18X40 with target turrets. From what I understand the scope doesn't have enough "up" adjustment for getting to 1000 yards, so do I need a canted base?

And lastly does the 7mm mag have enough power to to take deer at distances over 1000 yards?
NOTE: The deer in my neck of the woods don't get any larger than 150 pounds.

Yes it does, I haven't done it but I know of someone who has, He belongs to a 1 mile club they shoot from one mountain to another. Good Luck with your new rifle. Speaking about the 7MM Mag a person in the Navy has set a world record with the 7MM Mag some time ago at 1000 yards. I have taken many deer with the 7MM Mag out to 500 yards. Gret caliber. Lou

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.