My First Long Range Shot- Ever!

Rupe

Last weekend a few of us Oregon LR members got together out side of Christmas Valley Oregon for some fun LR shooting. There were rifles from .223 up to .338 Edge. And here I was with my Savage Striker with my .270win.
After some zero'ing at my 100 yard range, we headed over to where we would do the LR shooting about a mile from my place.
We set the targets from around 600 yards out to just under 1500 yards. Then we all started shooting. I was having trouble hitting anything so Luke and Jessie helpped me get my Striker dialed in after I had completely lost my zero. Once they got me zero'ed. They started teaching and helping me. They asked if I wanted to shoot out to the 890 yard 9" target. Of course I said yes!
I am new to LR shooting and have never shot beyond 360 yards with handgun or rifle. So I was quite excited to be trying to shoot 890 yds. And using my Striker to do it.
My Striker loaded with 130gr. Sierra SBT shoots .5 to .75 moa any day. So I knew it could do it but I wasn't sure I could do it.
Well once the guys got me shooting to the right distance and I started just missing the target by inches one way or the other. The wind was doing some strange blowing at the target and I had to keep adjusting my mildot windage back and forth and some up and down .10's of mils.
Then I squeezed the trigger once again, with my mildots lined up once again in the same POA I had been trying before and the, I heard Luke who was spotting say "You got it". Of course I asked " I hit it?" Then all three guys that were helping said yes you hit it. I couldn't believe I had finally shot to almost 900 yards. Man I was excited! I lined up again and sent another one down and hit it again.
What a rush! A target that you could barely see with the naked eye and I could hit it.
I then ised my wifes Rem. .243win. VTR and we got that scope figured out and I was able to bit the target again.
Well this was just to much, so I drug out my 8mm Mauser (sporterized) but we just couldn't seem to get a hit. Then I remembered, this old rifle can't shoot under 1.5moa at a 100 yds. and more then likely under 2moa once the barrel warms up. So I put the Mauser back in it's case. I think pretty much everyone had a go at the Striker. Some liked it and some stuck with a long gun.

We shot for about 5 hours joked around, had the Savage.vs. Remington bad mouthing going on, all in fun of course.
It turned out to be a great day and a Very Special day for me.
Thanks you guys for coming over and thank you for helping me to set a New Personal Long Range Record!
They have got me hooked on LR Shooting now and hopefully I will hit that 1000 yard goal later this summer.
Thanks again everyone!
Rupe

FREEKIN aweome, I can't imagine hitting 890 with a pistol, course I've never tried. Guess I need to expand my imagination and get somewhere that I can actually see that far. So many trees in western oregon the only way one can see 890 yards is lookig straight up, and getting a target up there is tough.

FREEKIN aweome, I can't imagine hitting 890 with a pistol, course I've never tried. Guess I need to expand my imagination and get somewhere that I can actually see that far. So many trees in western oregon the only way one can see 890 yards is lookig straight up, and getting a target up there is tough.

Yes it is a bit hard to find a place up where you are. What about putting up a target on the Washington state side of the Columbia River and shoot from the Oregon side? Hahaha

Rupe

Yes it is a bit hard to find a place up where you are. What about putting up a target on the Washington state side of the Columbia River and shoot from the Oregon side? Hahaha

Rupe
that's a thought. Actually there is a cut up on the hill, I THINK it goes to about 800, but it's weyerhauser and they don't allow target shooting. I thought I'd call and see if I could get permission just for this one test, dunno how accepting they woul be of that idea, but the worst they can say is no. There are a few other areas in state land that go out a ways, but not that far.

that's a thought. Actually there is a cut up on the hill, I THINK it goes to about 800, but it's weyerhauser and they don't allow target shooting. I thought I'd call and see if I could get permission just for this one test, dunno how accepting they woul be of that idea, but the worst they can say is no. There are a few other areas in state land that go out a ways, but not that far.

Looks like you will have to come to Christmas Valley! 4350 feet above.sea level.
but you can shoot for miles!

Rupe

Very proud of you and for you Rupe!

Last weekend a few of us Oregon LR members got together out side of Christmas Valley Oregon for some fun LR shooting. There were rifles from .223 up to .338 Edge. And here I was with my Savage Striker with my .270win.
After some zero'ing at my 100 yard range, we headed over to where we would do the LR shooting about a mile from my place.
We set the targets from around 600 yards out to just under 1500 yards. Then we all started shooting. I was having trouble hitting anything so Luke and Jessie helpped me get my Striker dialed in after I had completely lost my zero. Once they got me zero'ed. They started teaching and helping me. They asked if I wanted to shoot out to the 890 yard 9" target. Of course I said yes!
I am new to LR shooting and have never shot beyond 360 yards with handgun or rifle. So I was quite excited to be trying to shoot 890 yds. And using my Striker to do it.
My Striker loaded with 130gr. Sierra SBT shoots .5 to .75 moa any day. So I knew it could do it but I wasn't sure I could do it.
Well once the guys got me shooting to the right distance and I started just missing the target by inches one way or the other. The wind was doing some strange blowing at the target and I had to keep adjusting my mildot windage back and forth and some up and down .10's of mils.
Then I squeezed the trigger once again, with my mildots lined up once again in the same POA I had been trying before and the, I heard Luke who was spotting say "You got it". Of course I asked " I hit it?" Then all three guys that were helping said yes you hit it. I couldn't believe I had finally shot to almost 900 yards. Man I was excited! I lined up again and sent another one down and hit it again.
What a rush! A target that you could barely see with the naked eye and I could hit it.
I then ised my wifes Rem. .243win. VTR and we got that scope figured out and I was able to bit the target again.
Well this was just to much, so I drug out my 8mm Mauser (sporterized) but we just couldn't seem to get a hit. Then I remembered, this old rifle can't shoot under 1.5moa at a 100 yds. and more then likely under 2moa once the barrel warms up. So I put the Mauser back in it's case. I think pretty much everyone had a go at the Striker. Some liked it and some stuck with a long gun.

We shot for about 5 hours joked around, had the Savage.vs. Remington bad mouthing going on, all in fun of course.
It turned out to be a great day and a Very Special day for me.
Thanks you guys for coming over and thank you for helping me to set a New Personal Long Range Record!
They have got me hooked on LR Shooting now and hopefully I will hit that 1000 yard goal later this summer.
Thanks again everyone!
Rupe

Ernie- Thank You! If it wasn't for all you guys on LRH and SP I would never been involved in this awesome sport. I thank you expert LR shooters for taking the time to post answers to our novice questions and posting your adventures shooting and hunting. So thanks go out to members lime Ernie-xphunter, Steve -sscoyote, Mike 40X, Roger- Barrelnut, Luke- LUKE and his friends, Mike, and John that came over to shoot with me along with LUKE, Jessi, and their side kick whom I for got his name (sorry), and Jason that showed up on Sunday.
It takes alot of people to make up this sport and if I forgot to say your name you too!
Thanks ALL for every shread of info. that you peovided.
Rupe

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.