My first elk hunt

Woah, the "beard in the bow-string" is a story waiting to be told. Bet that was a fast pluck, aye? Maybe some trauma counseling in order?
HA! Yes Sir! Bloody brown bow silencer!! It sure hurt. It was a compound bow with a draw length that was too long for me. The anchor point had to be clear back by my ear. With a recurve, I anchor at the corner of my mouth.

I forgot the scope to barrel offset and shot low. Yeah, windpipe and jugular punctured and blood trail looked like something out of a Stephen King horror novel! But, he did move himself from the middle of a blowdown thicket to very near a logging trail. The trail was closed to vehicle travel, but did make an easy(ier) 3 mile hike pulling the game cart. Well, the first trip out was a hind quarter in the backpack to the truck and game cart. That hind quarter tripled in weight before I got to the truck.

Many people don't think about the bore being at least 1 1/2" below the scope.....a vital thing to remember with close shots on grouse! 😉 I was almost convinced that a friend of mine just wanted to see them explode. When hit by a 210 Nosler @ around 3K fps.....nothing for the table! 😂 memtb

I was way out on a ridge in Idaho,was checking my GPS ,and this bull just appears.Dropped GPS and shot,yah this what it lookes like when you bust there neck,was a real pain by myself to deal with

Attachments

• IMG_0901.JPG
    IMG_0901.JPG
    721.1 KB · Views: 66
I will be hunting elk this year in Colorado. I have a 308 and 6.5. Both shoot very accurate out to 500 yard. I practice shooting from 300 to 500
Are both guns enough for an ethical kill I read ballistics and plan to use 1500 ft lbs of force giving me a range of 400 yards. I will be using Hornady eldx
My experience with 143gr ELDX in a 264 wm at 3100 FPS at 350 yards on a Colorado mulie it came apart so there not my favorite pill. As fo elk in Colorado I use a 7mmRUM with a 160gr Accubond. My last bull 2 years ago was a 340 bull and I hit him 4 out of 5 times two through the chest and the last one up it's poop shoot put him down they are tuff sob's. Distance was 350-410 yds. Chest bullet exited through right shoulder