My first elk hunt

I didn't catch where you were coming from. I will certainly say I am not trying to question your ability, but rather give you a heads up on things, so hopefully take it that way.

I will say again, shot placement. I will add, don't over extend your comfort zone. You may be shooting up, down, flat. Be confident when you let one fly. I will admit I have missed game at reasonable distances due to rushing a shot. Take time, get yourself ready, don't shoot from reactionary mindset. You may have to pass of it doesn't seem right.

Learn about thermals if you aren't familiar with them. Not only for shooting, but for stalking game and scent.

I live in Colorado and have never been successful on a bull elk. (Gosh a hard thing to admit). Plenty of deer, some cows, and 1 lost monster bull. After the lost bull, I reevaluated a lot of things. It humbled me a lot. I also changed mindset of "hunting" to respect and harvest.

Come and enjoy our state! If you pass through Denver, or nearby, PM me and I will buy you a beer if it doesn't conflict with my hunting season!

I don't want to be a Debbie downer, but if you are DIY, enjoy the experience and hunt hard! I always wish people luck. When the boys in orange run around, elk disappear…. I can usually spot them, but closing the distance is a PITA! I still have a lot to learn. Enjoy the country, the friends, and the separation from the daily grind.

I agree with the "hunt hard" motto. There were 6 of us last year hunting in a group. The first bull was taken 5 minutes after legal shooting hours on the first morning and the last taken 15 minutes before they ended on the last night. Everyone got a bull except one guy (the most experienced hunter of us all) only had a shot at a cow and got it. Mine was opening morning and it is a great memory.

1627469726492.jpeg

It's easy to see why, readily available, packs a wallop, and has good factory ammo options. I feel like there's other options on either side of of the spectrum, lighter faster, heavier/more energy but it's the best mix of them all. IMO
I agree. It's pretty flat shooting also. I really should own one, but I don't.

The information on Colorado requirements is incorrect. Not really pertinent to your choices but just clearing it up for the general membership.

Here's how the regs read

I know two people who have taken elk with 24 calibers (6mm rem and 243 win). Both required five shots at approximately 200 yards. So please don't get the impression that I'm endorsing these minimums, just informing.

Attachments

• 20210728_074734_copy_800x372.jpg
    20210728_074734_copy_800x372.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 56
From my limited experience with the ELDX (147 gr) in 6.5.......avoid a close range shot! In my tests from a 6.5 Creed, they were extremely fragile, and came completely apart on a 30 yard shot in my test median. And yes, very close shots are a possibility!!

I'd hate to see your first (and possibly your only) elk hunt, end in failure due to the bullet not be up to the task. It will certainly work if perfectly placed where it meets minimal resistance prior to reaching the vitals, but in hunting .....there are no guarantees! memtb
Concur with memtb. Shot a hog 100 lbs at 60 yards. 6.5 PRC 143 gr ELDX Precision Hunter factory, 2850 MV. Bullet entered, crossed laterally through the vitals, ending under the hide on the far rear quarter. Bullet consisted of the rear copper jacket, with some lead core but not a lot. The animal expired quickly (though little blood trail), but not what I would prefer to see for terminal ballistics. Working with Hammers now, for both the 6.5 PRC and soon the 33 Nosler. 120 gr GMX in the 6.5 PRC giving me 0.34 MOA, so that may stand as my antelope load.

I agree with the "hunt hard" motto. There were 6 of us last year hunting in a group. The first bull was taken 5 minutes after legal shooting hours on the first morning and the last taken 15 minutes before they ended on the last night. Everyone got a bull except one guy (the most experienced hunter of us all) only had a shot at a cow and got it. Mine was opening morning and it is a great memory.

View attachment 287606

Great pic, outfitted and private land or on your own on public?

Thank you all for your support and suggestions I will use my 308 and I am researching the federal terminal ascent cartridge 175 grain. Seams to have the right balance of power
Plenty of videos on Youtube with some really good instructions. I started in 1969 with a kit from RCBS that included a single stage press (which I still use) a scale, uniflow powder peasure, funnel, powder dribbler, and a set of 30-06 dies all in the same box, with a 14 page instruction manual. I bought a Sierra reloading manual containing loading data for rifle, pistol and shotgun. Also case measurements and Overall lengths, primer pocket dimensions etc. and later a Lyman manual. I was careful, made a few mistakes. While at the range I made several friends that were more than happy to provide guidance. All in all a self-taught experience that continues 50 years later, with more to learn. I found that I needed a caliper micrometer capable of .001 accuracy ($12 at the time from Sears - $22 today from Harbor Frieght). All doable, It's like diving in a pool the first time, just jump and have fun doing it. When you go to the range, keep away from the guys there just making noise, look for the guy off by himself, meticulously lining up a shot, analyzing where it went, examining his spent brass, scribbling down notes, retrieving his targets, scribbling notes on them, he's the guy to buddy up with.

Thank you. My nephew has reloading equipment which he has never used. I may try it. I also belong to 3 shooting clubs which may hold a class one this covid is over

Plenty of videos on Youtube with some really good instructions. I started in 1969 with a kit from RCBS that included a single stage press (which I still use) a scale, uniflow powder peasure, funnel, powder dribbler, and a set of 30-06 dies all in the same box, with a 14 page instruction manual. I bought a Sierra reloading manual containing loading data for rifle, pistol and shotgun. Also case measurements and Overall lengths, primer pocket dimensions etc. and later a Lyman manual. I was careful, made a few mistakes. While at the range I made several friends that were more than happy to provide guidance. All in all a self-taught experience that continues 50 years later, with more to learn. I found that I needed a caliper micrometer capable of .001 accuracy ($12 at the time from Sears - $22 today from Harbor Frieght). All doable, It's like diving in a pool the first time, just jump and have fun doing it. When you go to the range, keep away from the guys there just making noise, look for the guy off by himself, meticulously lining up a shot, analyzing where it went, examining his spent brass, scribbling down notes, retrieving his targets, scribbling notes on them, he's the guy to buddy up with.
The best advice I have had told to me when it comes to reloading, is as follows:
#1-Before loading any cartridge, find the load, or a at least compare it to at least 2 sources. One source can be a misprint or just plain bad advice. (Learned this the hard way!)
#2- Start with low, or middle loads. Max loads can be unsafe in some guns, and don't always shoot the best anyway. Watch for pressure signs!
#3-Look for powders/loads that have compably low pressure, yet high velocity. (I always try to find powder that will work in several of my guns too.)
#4- never trust someone else's re-loads unless you know and trust the person that loaded them. Always pull and reload garage sale ammo unless it is factory.....when in doubt, pull 'em! And don't re-use the powder, you don't know 100% for sure what type it is.
#5- Don't reload while drinking or being distracted.
#6- Have fun !!
Happy shooting!

The best advice I have had told to me when it comes to reloading, is as follows:
#1-Before loading any cartridge, find the load, or a at least compare it to at least 2 sources. One source can be a misprint or just plain bad advice. (Learned this the hard way!)
#2- Start with low, or middle loads. Max loads can be unsafe in some guns, and don't always shoot the best anyway. Watch for pressure signs!
#3-Look for powders/loads that have compably low pressure, yet high velocity. (I always try to find powder that will work in several of my guns too.)
#4- never trust someone else's re-loads unless you know and trust the person that loaded them. Always pull and reload garage sale ammo unless it is factory.....when in doubt, pull 'em! And don't re-use the powder, you don't know 100% for sure what type it is.
#5- Don't reload while drinking or being distracted.
#6- Have fun !!
Happy shooting!
Thank you. I understand. Your explanation was very clear. Now need to do more homework to understand powders.

Thank you. I understand. Your explanation was very clear. Now need to do more homework to understand powders.
You are welcome. It's really pretty easy and once you get into it, it can be fun. About anything can make it go "bang" but fine tuning your loads to your rifle to get the best accuracy, is a whole new game. To me at least, reloading and working up a load is half the fun of shooting. Your timing is kind of bad though. Right now powder, primers, brass and bullets are kind of hard to come by. Don't give up!